RideDualSport
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Big Ultimate Terlingua Tour - Big Bend TX, Nov. 24-29  (Read 33725 times)
DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« on: October 08, 2009, 02:46:39 PM »

Here it is the Big Ultimate Terlingua Tour (B.U.T.T.) Adventure!  
Few dual sport riders have been to Big Bend Ranch State Park which recently opened more access!
Be a part of showing Texas Dept. of Parks and Wildlife they made the right decision let Dual Sport riders enjoy the beauty of BBRSP!

ricky ricky WHO IS IN?   ricky ricky

When: Thanksgiving week 2009. Tuesday Nov. 24 to Sunday Nov. 29.  
Where: Big Bend Ranch State Park (BBRSP) and Terlingua Area.
What: Depart from Austin area and stay at Big Bend Ranch State Park Bunk House.
EACH RIDER NEEDS TO RESERVE YOUR OWN BUNK FOR $25 NIGHT AT THE BUNK HOUSE! From Nov. 25 to 28.  
YOU CAN ALSO ORDER THE MORNING AND EVENING MEALS AT THE BUNK HOUSE.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/big_bend_ranch/lodging/
The first night, Nov. 24th is in Marfa, I have a room reserved for first night. Those coming from other locations than Austin are welcome to meet us at BBRSP.
Who: About 7-10 riders?

The Plan:
Tuesday 11/24 early AM:
Leave Austin Tuesday and head out thru the hillcountry to pick up 90, all the way to Marfa. Its about 470 miles from Austin to Marfa.  http://www.marfacc.com/about/  
Motel first night. I have room reservation, and depending on size of group we can get one more if needed. http://www.riatainn.com/

Wednesday 11/25:
Take 67 out of Marfa south to Big Bend Ranch State Park.
Stay in BBRSP Bunk House from Nov. 25th to 28th.

Thursday 11/26 to Saturday 11/28:
Happy Thanksgiving!  Ride your brains out all over the Big Bend and Terlingua area!

Sunday 11/28 AM:
Head back thru Big Bend National Park to Austin area.

LET ME KNOW IF YOUR IN!  
REMEMBER TO RESERVE YOUR BUNK AT THE PARK FOR NOV. 25th to 28th.
Here is a link of route to BBRSP

The route may change as we get farther along in the planning....I am open to suggestions!

Here are some pictures of some folks riding dual sports in BBRSP!

First night in Marfa Texas, a historic old Texas town, here's a few pics:

Marfa, almost still like it was in the 50s!

James Dean and the film Giant

Marfa at night

Pictures of BBRSP

Movie set in BBRSP

Me and my trusty DR650

Some teaser pics of Terlingua area.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 11:02:32 PM by DoctorDR » Logged

Christian
 2014 V Strom 650, 00 XR650R, 03 Beta ALP 200, 02 Buell S3T, 84 900 Ninja, 48 Chief
cgwt
Road Toad

stop and help, it's the right thing

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 09:55:12 PM »

Hi thumb
This is Gideon, just opened my e-mail and sure, this looks good.  Need to get vacation booked and confirmed.  I'm in!!  Been looking into going to that area for a while now.  I'll be heading u r way from Houston.  If any one els from here wants to join, there should be enough space in the truck.  Will be trailering the bike.  I'm so looking forward to this!!
Thanx . clap
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 10:08:44 PM by cgwt » Logged

C Gravel Will Travel.
KTM 504
Suzuki DR 650
& now Kawasaki KLR 650
Frostbit
Combat Wombat

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 12:28:45 AM »

Well HappyMan dangled that Triumph Tiger, that WAS for sale in Houston, under my nose. So now the plan is to pick up the Tiger and Mrs Frostbit and myself will motor on down around Del  Rio on Nov. 23rd and then to Terlingua on the 24th. We'll be staying at the Chisos Mining Company.

http://www.nationalparkreservations.com/bigbend_miningco.htm

We'll head into the Big Bend State Park on the 25th and will be staying at the Ranch bunkhouse for the 25th, 26th and 27th.

Looking forward to meeting up with y'all.  ricky beer ricky

Tools for a successful midlife crysis:
Horsepower
Handlebars
Mud
and accessories from ironmandualsport.com
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 08:44:04 AM »

Well HappyMan dangled that Triumph Tiger, that WAS for sale in Houston, under my nose. So now the plan is to pick up the Tiger and Mrs Frostbit and myself will motor on down around Del  Rio on Nov. 23rd and then to Terlingua on the 24th. We'll be staying at the Chisos Mining Company.
http://www.nationalparkreservations.com/bigbend_miningco.htm
We'll head into the Big Bend State Park on the 25th and will be staying at the Ranch bunkhouse for the 25th, 26th and 27th.
Looking forward to meeting up with y'all.  ricky beer ricky
Frostbit, I am very excited for the two of you! That's a sweet Tiger you got, and it should be perfect for riding into Big Bend.
I am bummed that I won't be here to see you because I have a family commitment in North Carolina over Thanksgiving.
Personally, I think you will see the best of Texas. Big Bend and the Chihuahuan Desert are stunning!
Lucky for me I have a Twin Brother, so it will be sort-of-like we met!
PS: You may want to outfit the bike with some knobbier tires......yuummmm  ricky ricky
Cheers, Patrice
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 08:48:48 AM by KosmicKLR » Logged

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré  - 08 KLR 650 - 01 Buell S3 - 08 Buell SuperTT - 03 DRZ 400 - 60 Harley DuoGlide - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief
Frostbit
Combat Wombat

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 10:37:17 AM »

Frostbit, I am very excited for the two of you! That's a sweet Tiger you got, and it should be perfect for riding into Big Bend.
I am bummed that I won't be here to see you because I have a family commitment in North Carolina over Thanksgiving.
Personally, I think you will see the best of Texas. Big Bend and the Chihuahuan Desert are stunning!
Lucky for me I have a Twin Brother, so it will be sort-of-like we met!
PS: You may want to outfit the bike with some knobbier tires......yuummmm  ricky ricky
Cheers, Patrice

Damn... I just assumed that you were going to be at the first RDS gathering. I'm sure that we'll bump into you somewhere down the road seeing as how I now have Western Winter Riding Stock stored in the area. Our plan was to head up to Farmington NM after the Big Bend visit and leave the Tiger in a friends garage. We're now rethinking that plan because the cost of a puddle jumper flight out of Farmington or Durango would easily cover the cost of a storage unit in a city that AK Airlines flies into. So at the moment we're no quite sure where we're going after B.U.T.T.

Oh, and a set of TKC 80s are being mounted on the Tiger at this very moment at Metric Motorcycle in Houston. naughty

Horsepower
Handlebars
Mud
Toad
Road Toad

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »

Sure would be nice to get one more longer ride in this year..  up here in the woods that gets harder and harder to do during winter months. As confident as I am in my Wee and (somewhat in myself), is this ride BIG bike friendly or gearded more towards real Dual Sports??? Either way, im thinking really hard how I can make this.. and it might give me an excuse to buy a smaller dual sport..  plan to ride the TAT next year anyway... hummmmmm.....

signed,
Unknown Frozen Rider From the North
(or Toad)
Teeds
Road Toad

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 09:24:49 PM »

Christian:

As much as I wanted to fit this one in, it will not happen.

I'm in EDRA the weekend before Thanksgiving and I just found out that my GF's daughter is with her Dad over Thanksgiving apparently.  That means my GF is officially bummed out.  If I am gone then it might well get ugly ... if you know what I mean.  yikes

I will be riding the roads with you in my mind.  The road south out of Marfa after 169 is a hoot.

The Bunkhouse ... tell Victor hi for me if he is cooking for you.  YOU will enjoy the meals, I can assure you.  If you want libations, carry them or be prepared to run into town.  I would carry something to mix with ice ... sit on the porch, listen to the crickets and watch the sun go down ... DANG IT!!!

Be sure and wander over and look at the "big house" there at Sauceda and the water tank that has been opened up as a conversation area.  You will have free reign of the place if no one is in the house ... again ... DANG IT!!!

Do you want to get just a bit dirty the first day?  Check out Roosevelt Road.  It heads north off of US90 a little more than 16 miles west of Sanderson.  It joins up with US 385 north of Marathon.  It is a fun road with some rolling dips that will really launch you at anything over 70MPH and you can easily do that speed in the section I am talking about.  There are a couple of Elk herds along the road as well.  Longfellow is 36 miles long and dumps you out on 385 about 18 miles north of Marathon.  The detour up Longfellow will add about 18 miles to the distance between Sanderson and Marathon.  It is worth the time, if you are not running late at that point.

I know you are going to stop at the bridge over the Pecos, but be sure and stop and see Judge Roy Bean's place.  There is gas in Langtry ... assuming he is open and it is before 5 PM.  If not, ask around and someone will track him down if he is not gone for Thanksgiving.

Again ... I am so bummed.

Y'all have fun and be safe.

We'll have to stage a ride out of EDRA next year to save everyone the brutal first jump to hyperspace.  I can pull together a very nice 1200~1500 mile 4~5 day extravaganza and still stay off the roads of Terlingua Ranch that are private.  Hopefully that will be sorted out by then anyway.

Tony Eeds aka Teeds aka Dad aka Grandpa aka TMTC President

My Photos

El Petrolero aka El P aka 2006 DR650 (well tarted)
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 10:49:38 PM »

Teeds:
Thanks for all the choice morsels of advice! Its always a plus to get insider tips on how to make the most of a ride.
I too, have been thwarted by Thanksgiving and won't be making it on this, the first RDS ride.
But my twin brother Christian (DoctorDR), is carrying the RDS torch for me and I am happy about that!
Perhaps we will do it again in the Spring!
Cheers, Patrice

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré  - 08 KLR 650 - 01 Buell S3 - 08 Buell SuperTT - 03 DRZ 400 - 60 Harley DuoGlide - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief
DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 11:51:34 PM »

Teeds. all the tips are very much appreciated.....I will be noting it all down for our route and hit much of it as possible! Sorry you cant make it, but I am sure there will be other opportunities!  I am a newby down in Terlingua, so all the info I can gather the better!

Also, at the Bunk House do you know if we can use the kitchen and cook ourselves too?   
Christian

Christian
 2014 V Strom 650, 00 XR650R, 03 Beta ALP 200, 02 Buell S3T, 84 900 Ninja, 48 Chief
DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 11:58:03 PM »

Sure would be nice to get one more longer ride in this year..  up here in the woods that gets harder and harder to do during winter months. As confident as I am in my Wee and (somewhat in myself), is this ride BIG bike friendly or gearded more towards real Dual Sports??? Either way, im thinking really hard how I can make this.. and it might give me an excuse to buy a smaller dual sport..  plan to ride the TAT next year anyway... hummmmmm.....

signed,
Unknown Frozen Rider From the North
(or Toad)

Toad, I think the Terlingua area has plenty of riding at all levels of difficulty. From wide open gravel road to knarly single track, and everything in between.  A small dual sport, like a 650 will be more ridable on the rougher terrain, but your Wee with some D/S tires and bash plate, ect should to the trick too. Folks are free just to ride what they are comfortable with.....Im more about cruising at a reasonable pace so I can soak in all the environment. Certainly for the long distance out from Austin area it will be more comfortable mile muncher.  Frostbit is riding a Triumph Tiger with his wife on the back, so will be at least one big bike.  Keep us posted if you can make it, and if so, you need to reserve a bunk at the Big Bend Ranch State Park bunk house for the nights you will be there.
For the first night in Marfa I have a hotel room set aside for folks to crash in....
Christian

Christian
Frostbit
Combat Wombat

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 02:11:52 AM »

Hi thumb
This is Gideon, just opened my e-mail and sure, this looks good.  Need to get vacation booked and confirmed.  I'm in!!  Been looking into going to that area for a while now.  I'll be heading u r way from Houston.  If any one els from here wants to join, there should be enough space in the truck.  Will be trailering the bike.  I'm so looking forward to this!!
Thanx . clap

Hi Gideon,

We're planning on departing Katy early on the 23rd. What day are you heading out?

Something that comes to mind is that fuel isn't available within the park (I think) so since you'll be trailering, I'm wondering if you be up for packing a couple extra fuel jugs.

Tracy
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:50:45 AM by Frostbit » Logged

Horsepower
Handlebars
Mud
cgwt
Road Toad

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 10:29:51 PM »

Hi Tracy
I'm planning on leaving on 11/19/09.  I'll be heading out to Plano first and then to be in Marfa  11/24/09.  I'll be more than glad  thumb to help y'all with carrying anything you need.  I'm so looking forward to this trip!!  ricky

Gideon

Hi thumb
This is Gideon, just opened my e-mail and sure, this looks good.  Need to get vacation booked and confirmed.  I'm in!!  Been looking into going to that area for a while now.  I'll be heading u r way from Houston.  If any one els from here wants to join, there should be enough space in the truck.  Will be trailering the bike.  I'm so looking forward to this!!
Thanx . clap

Hi Gideon,

We're planning on departing Katy early on the 23rd. What day are heading out?

Something that comes to mind is that fuel isn't available within the park (I think) so since you'll be trailering, I'm wondering if you be up for packing a couple extra fuel jugs.

Tracy

C Gravel Will Travel.
KTM 504
Suzuki DR 650
& now Kawasaki KLR 650
Teeds
Road Toad

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 12:13:25 PM »

Also, at the Bunk House do you know if we can use the kitchen and cook ourselves too?  
Christian

Hey Christian,

The person that I talked to said that we either need to order meals at the time of making reservations or we're free to use one of the grills outside of the Bunk House.

Tracy

Ditto that Christian.

You cannot use the indoor kitchen, that I am aware of.

Remember also that it is something like 25 miles into Presideo and there are slim pickings as far as food sources go ... think simple ...

You would need a cooler, but if you have one trailer there, that will be solved.

Frankly, the food is defintely worth the cost.  Everything that Victor has ever prepared was great and you can eat all that you can stand to eat.  I can assure you that you will not go hungry.  There is still the issue of lunch, as they do not make lunches.  That can be simple though and as you will likely have at least one cooler about ... workable.

I have heard that the mileage that is open inside the park is about 60 miles, but there is that plus many more open outside the gates, never mind the trek down 170 to Terlingua.

The Terlingua Ranch - Marathon Road / BBNP - Old Ore Road/River Road/Maverick Road  Loop is right at 180 miles round trip starting at the Fina Station at 170/118, never mind the 75+ each way to and from Sauceda.

And Pinto Road ... don't skip Pinto Road ...

For a street oriented loop, there is the scenic loop out of Fort Davis, up the observatory ...

From the loop ...

And for the ladies ...

Prada ... you have to see that store!

It is near Valentine.

In Marfa ...
Stop in and gander at the Hotel Piasano Lobby ... Lanna and Joe Duncan has done a great job fixing it up.

Fort Davis
Fort Davis National Historic Site is nice if you like history.
Of course, McDonald Observatory is interesting if you have the time.

Unfortunately, I can give you enough hints to fill multiple weeks of time ... easily.

OK ... onward ...

Frostbit and Tracy:

How much time do you have?  poser

Take 90-Alt (which stands for Alternate) westward out of Houston towards the border.  I promise you that it is a beautiful ride!  The towns, the people, just wonderful ... it goes into Seguin ... jump on I10 through San Antonio and then grab 90 westward out of San Antonio into Del Rio, where it turns northward along the river.  

Of course, that skips the 3 Sisters ... so grab 16 out if San Antonio to Bandera to catch them ... and then down 55 out of Camp Wood back to 90 ...

Along the way ...

Shiner - Home of Shiner Beer
San Antonio - The Alamo, the Mission Trail road
Castroville - Landmark Inn State Historic Park ... stay there if they still have it open.  It was just transferred to Texas Historical Commission and I don't know what changes have been made in operation.
Langtry - Judge Roy Bean's Law West of the Pecos Museum

... when you head westward towards the coast, take 67 north to Marfa, 17 to Fort Davis and then 118 up to Kent on I10.  The detour is worth the time.  If you have the time, follow 54 north out of Van Horn to El Capitan and then 180 westward into El Paso.  If you head northeast on 180, there is always Carlsbad Caverns ... but that might be too much ...

Silver City is nice in New Mexico, Bisbee in Arizona, Scottsdale has Taliesin West, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright ... I could go on for hours ...

I wanna go ...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 12:19:23 PM by Teeds » Logged

My Photos

DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 01:40:43 PM »

Teeds, all excellent advice!  I will be putting all this info together and planning out some basic routes for us once we get there.
I may, or may not, make the plunge into GPS.  But, at the min. I will get some good detailed regional maps, and TXDOT has really great county maps that are updated and have lots of detail.  I am sure we wont have a shortage of riding!
I am really excited since BBRSP is now open to vehicles for the first time, this will all be new for me.
Thanks so much for sharing your detailed knowledge of the area, you will be with us in spirit for sure!
Christian

Christian
MetalBender
Super Rat

Email
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 02:01:44 PM »

lurk i'm going to see what I can manage to make it.

The cost of living is very expensive yet it remains a popular choice.
DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 02:06:26 PM »

MetalBender,
Very cool, keep us posted!  You can always meet up with us at BBRSP, we are staying at the bunk house there.  If you are able to make it, remember to call Big Bend Ranch State Park and make reservations at the bunk house.  I will be ordering the morning/night meals also.
Christian

Christian
medicjeff
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 02:56:54 PM »

You guys are killing me with all the prep chatter. I was really hoping to be able to make this trip but it has proved to be impossible to get off work. At the moment my schedule has me working Thursday and Friday. Oh well next time... Christian, do you have the book Big Bend A Guide For All Motorcyclists?  Richard from texasadventure.net put it together and had it up on twtex a while back. Its got some pretty good info on alot of the dual sport rides in the area, as well as general info such as banks, groceries, fuel, etc. I bought a copy and your welcome to it if you would like. Ya'll have a great trip... be safe. Cheers....Jeff
Frostbit
Combat Wombat

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 12:30:10 AM »

Teeds...

You've got it going on buddy! thumb We actually already picked a route that covers most of what you have suggested only we didn't have a clue that all that must see stuff was along the way. You have us so jazzed about this trip now that it's going to be tough to make it through October.

Too bad that your not going to be able to join us. I suppose that the Texas Department of Tourism keeps you very busy. lol

Thanks for all your input and we'll put it to good use.

Tracy

Oh... And we haven't booked our return flight as of yet but it looks like we'll be storing the Tiger in Phoenix and we'll most likely end up with two weeks on the road.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 12:36:39 AM by Frostbit » Logged

Horsepower
Handlebars
Mud
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 01:08:00 AM »

Terlingua is a pretty cool town, I enjoyed a pretty nice gourmet meal at the Starlight Theater, and a real homemade Mexican dinner where the restaurant is actually their home, we were served by their 10 year old son while papa cooked. It was a small white house between Big Bend RV park and the Starlight.
I did not make it to La Kiva but it could be a hoot.
Here are my Homies at last year's Burl's Ride in Terlingua
Portero72 and RalleyChadley

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 01:11:04 AM by KosmicKLR » Logged

www.RideDualSport.com
Teeds
Road Toad

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 09:47:25 AM »

Tracy:

I could only wish to get paid for what I have learned in the all the years of waundering about Texas.  There are 254 counties in Texas and I am only 12~15 shy of visiting all the county seats ... this time.  I have hit many of the counties that I am missing, but started over counting when I started carrying a digital camera ... everywhere.

I'm an itinerant historic architect / downtown economic development consultant that wanders about the state looking for people to pay me for helping them.  Although the pickings are beyond slim right now (like I am actually starving at the moment), I have a treasure trove of historical / heritage tourism tidbits that I have collected over the years.  Some say I am a wealth of useless information.  roll

I didn't mention the Hall of Horns yesterday, or ...
the Tee Pee Motel in Wharton Texas - recently reopened - another link, or ...
Mission Espiritu Santo De Zuñiga in Goliad, or ...
Bandera, Texas - the Cowboy Capital of the World

and didn't link ...
Spoetzl Brewery - Shiner, Texas - Home of Shiner Beer ... celebrating 100 years in business right now ... IE ... big celebrations there this month ...
the Alamo, or ...
the San Antonio Missions and Mission Trail, or ...
Bisbee, Arizona, or ...
Talisien West in Scottsdale, Arizona - if you decide to take a tour, order your tickets on line.  You can pick them up the day of the tour.

If any more tidbits pop to the surface, I'll post them.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:30:10 PM by DoctorDR » Logged

My Photos

Teeds
Road Toad

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 09:51:18 AM »

Terlingua is a pretty cool town, I enjoyed a pretty nice gourmet meal at the Starlight Theater, and a real homemade Mexican dinner where the restaurant is actually their home, we were served by their 10 year old son while papa cooked. It was a small white house between Big Bend RV park and the Starlight.
I did not make it to La Kiva but it could be a hoot.
Here are my Homies at last year's Burl's Ride in Terlingua
Portero72 and RalleyChadley

I remember watching you take that photo ... I was a couple of tables closer to the door.

Starlight - yum ... have you tried the Pork Medallions with the Rasberry Chipotle Reduction Sauce?  OMG, are they good!!!

My Photos

cgwt
Road Toad

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 11:24:46 PM »

Hi Christian.
Got the trailer story sorted out.  Spoke with them today about it.   Thing is, we need to carry gas.  Apparently, Presidio is the "closes" gas supply.  It is 35 mi away and that translates into a tip of about 1h15m - seem they know a shorter way?  http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rlz=1C1CHMB_enUS310US310&resnum=0&q=presidio+tx&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Presidio,+TX&gl=us&ei=2fHTSqSNKMSg8Aar2MmLDQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CA8Q8gEwAA                              Bad road its is sir.

Gideon,
Good to have you!  The plan is to stay at the Big Bend Ranch State Park Bunk House, but to do that need to make sure you can get a trailer into BBRSP, so check into that. Also, you can reserve a bunk by calling the park, for $25 a night.  Keep us posted on your plans to make it out!
Christian

C Gravel Will Travel.
KTM 504
Suzuki DR 650
& now Kawasaki KLR 650
DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 11:31:17 PM »

Gideon,
Thanks for checking into that and glad you can make it with your trailer.  I think BBRSP has about 60 or so miles of primitive roads to ride, and is not too bad in terms of gas. But we will be doing much longer day rides into Terlingua and Big Bend National Park, were some extra gas capacity is needed.  My DR650 has 5 gal tank, and can do pretty well...... how much gas capacity does your bike have?
Christian

Christian
cgwt
Road Toad

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 11:49:39 PM »

Christian
the bike should hold 5.8gal.  its a 08 klr650 ricky
thanx for the concern thumb.

Gideon,
Thanks for checking into that and glad you can make it with your trailer.  I think BBRSP has about 60 or so miles of primitive roads to ride, and is not too bad in terms of gas. But we will be doing much longer day rides into Terlingua and Big Bend National Park, were some extra gas capacity is needed.  My DR650 has 5 gal tank, and can do pretty well...... how much gas capacity does your bike have?
Christian

C Gravel Will Travel.
KTM 504
Suzuki DR 650
& now Kawasaki KLR 650
landman650r
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 02:11:17 AM »

I thought  I had replied but I guess I didnt.  I'm very interested in this ride...and dont have much to do the week of Thanksgiving.  My email is trey.ricks@gmail.com and I'm more active on twt than on here. 

I have an 03 650r...
DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 10:50:37 PM »

Hey dudes, I'm really chuffed about y'all making the effort to come out for the B.U.T.T. ride this Thanksgiving!
Since were all meeting via RDS, maybe we can introduce ourselves here so we can get a better idea of what our group is looking like and get to know each other more? I will start off!  Thanks!

• First name and picture of you and bike.
  • Make, model and gas capacity of your bike.
  • Are you coming from out of state?
  • What do you do for a livin?
  • How long riding M/C generally and Dual Sporting?
  • Your last big Dual Sport ride?
  • Have you ridden Big Bend area before?
  • Anything your bike needs for prep?
  • Will you use GPS?
  • Riding to Marfa and stay in the hotel first night, or meeting us at BBRSP?
  • Anything else you want to get off your chest?  smile
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 03:13:13 PM by DoctorDR » Logged

Christian
DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »

B.U.T.T. Rider Poll

First name and picture of you and bike.  
Christian, OK I am hamming it up in my Frog Toggs!

Make, model and gas capacity of your bike.
2003 DR650, 5 gal.

Are you from Texas?
No, I lived most of my life in Seattle, but living in Austin 15 years now.

What do you do for a livin?
Work for the Texas Legislature reviewing state government....to save taxpayers money and make government run better!

How long riding M/C generally and Dual Sporting?
Been riding motorbikes for over 30 years, street bikes with a little dirt biking thrown in.  Been into DS riding about a year now.

Your last big Dual Sport ride?
Did the Trans America Trail from Arkansas to Moab Utah this June with KosmicKLR and Portero. Yes, the red beanies were my idea!

Have you ridden Big Bend area before?
No, I have only been camping once down there, so this is my first DS ride to Big Bend! Thanks to Teeds for sharing so much info with RDS!

Anything your bike needs for prep?
I am putting on fresh tires and chain/sprockets.  Running slime in tubes and bringing one of those cool electric tire pumps.  

Will you use GPS?
No, I dont have GPS yet.  But, will bring regional and county-level maps.

Riding to Marfa and stay in the hotel first night, or meeting us at BBRSP?
Driving in truck from Austin with Landman to Marfa, then down into BBRSP.

Anything else you want to get off your chest?
Im stoked that we can all get to do this, and that its the first "RDS" ride in honor of my brother KosmicKLR who built RDS himself!  He cant make it because of family commitments but he will be there in spirit! Oh, I like Knob Creek.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 12:38:55 AM by DoctorDR » Logged

Christian
Frostbit
Combat Wombat

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 11:20:17 AM »

~ First name and picture of you and bike.

We are Tracy & MaryLee

And we'll be riding two-up on a Tiger.

~ Make, model and gas capacity of your bike.

A 1995 Triumph Tiger that we have yet to see in person but the manual states that it has a 6.6 gallon capacity.

~ Are you from Texas?

Hell No! Too small of a state. Actually this will be my first visit to Texas and I'm getting pretty excited about it.

~ What do you do for a livin?

Wood working as in cabinets, staircases and such.

~ How long riding M/C generally and Dual Sporting?

I guess that technically my first Honda z50 was a Dualsport so that would make it 38yrs.

~ Your last big Dual Sport ride?

May/June ride from Ohio to Goose Bay, Labrador - Newfoundland - Nova Scotia - New Brunswick and back to Ohio.

~ Have you ridden Big Bend area before?

Nope.

~ Anything your bike needs for prep?

Well.... hard to say but I'm hoping that it's ready to go.

~ Will you use GPS?

I'm leaning towards yes.

~ Riding to Marfa and stay in the hotel first night, or meeting us at BBRSP?

Meeting at BBRSP and we'll be coming by way of Terlingua.

~ Anything else you want to get off your chest?  

I never had any desire to ride through Texas until now and I sooo looking forword to this trip that it's hard focus on anthing else at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 07:57:55 PM by Frostbit » Logged

Horsepower
Handlebars
Mud
cgwt
Road Toad

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2009, 10:45:13 PM »

Hi Teeds
When I booked my bunk and food I made sure to inquire about lunch and bagged lunch at that, all we need to do is asked them for it and they will do it.  Food for the day runs $25, total for 1 day, breakfast, lunch and dinner.  It seems the folks there are very helpful and will accommodate the guests reasonable requests. 
Enjoy
Gideon

C Gravel Will Travel.
KTM 504
Suzuki DR 650
& now Kawasaki KLR 650
landman650r
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2009, 11:33:02 PM »

First name and picture of you and bike.
I'm Trey...

Make, model and gas capacity of your bike.
Honda xr650r....Its a 3.2+ gallon Clark tank...

Are you from Texas?
Born and raised in Vidor, TX....But I've lived in Beaumont since I was 18

What do you do for a livin?
I'm a petroleum Landman....as in the screen name

How long riding M/C generally and Dual Sporting?
1st MX bike when I was 5.  4 wheeler when I was 3.  First street bike when in 2005.  For reference, I am 27(28 at the end of the month)

Your last big Dual Sport ride?
An East TX ride with twtex

Have you ridden Big Bend area before?
Nope, but excited to go.  Kinda poppin my big bend cherry...hope yall like it as much as I will

Anything your bike needs for prep?
wouldnt mind a rear rack....but I dont really need it.  I have dirt bagz to carry all my stuff.

Will you use GPS?
I have a new to me 76cs that I've never used.  I'll be bringin it.  I'll be puttin mapsource onto it, the road maps.

Riding to Marfa and stay in the hotel first night, or meeting us at BBRSP?
Havent decided quite yet.  I'll be going along with whatever the group is doing.

Anything else you want to get off your chest? 
I've had this itch...and a bit of a rash that keeps comin and going but a doctor said theres a cream for that...otherwise I'm just ready to ride
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »
  Print  

Jump to: