RideDualSport
Advanced search  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Flooded engine  (Read 141 times)
Green Devil
Road Toad

« on: January 24, 2018, 03:45:45 PM »

When I'm riding, occasionally I'll wipe out.  When I dump my DR650 I assume the engine gets flooded because it is hard to start after that. 
Should I be doing something other than waiting 10-15 minutes before trying to start it?

Thanks.
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 08:46:49 PM »

Howdy Green Devil,
Sometimes the carburetor will overfill with gas and cause the bike to be hard to start. You can try opening the throttle wide open when cranking the motor over. Crank the motor over a couple times with open throttle. Then close the throttle and wait a minute, and try again at normal throttle opening. Otherwise, you may have to wait a bit.
Cheers!

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
Jay547
Dirt Squirt

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 09:47:43 PM »

You can try opening the throttle wide open when cranking the motor over. Crank the motor over a couple times with open throttle. Then close the throttle and wait a minute, and try again at normal throttle opening. Otherwise, you may have to wait a bit.

That's pretty much the way I do my DR650. It's always worked, I've never had to sit and wait.
Voltar
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

"I am the liquor."

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 12:30:52 PM »

When you drop the bike, shut off the tank gas valve petcock ASAP!
That should help.

Jr. Asst. Road Captain

My projects and stuff:
www.whiskeytangohotel.com
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: