RideDualSport
Advanced search  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: France and Spain via the Pyrenees! October 2017  (Read 234 times)
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin

WWW Email
« on: November 28, 2017, 03:34:02 AM »

Being the Frenchman that I am, I couldn't resist the call of Pâté, Fromage, Baguette and Wine any longer. My wife and I first rode Europe in 2006 through the Alps, and I couldn't help wondering if, 11 years later, this trip through the Pyrenees would be as good. Well, it was not as good.... because it was totally different! Not only were the roads, mountains, people and food completely different than the Alps ride, but so was the planning. This Pyrenees trip was almost completely ad-hoc, the only certainties were our arrival in Bilbao Spain to pick up the BMW and our departure from Barcelona 14 days later where we returned the BMW.
Our first couple of days were spent in the Basque region of Spain and France.

Our first lovely hotel about an hour from Bilbao was pretty nice! It was hard to leave the terrace where we sipped our wine.  beer

However, my wife managed to keep up the good work!

The Spanish coast was wet and foggy, but quite beautiful. The BMW amazed me with how well protected I was by the fairing which even kept my legs and feet dry.

My wife was quite comfortable and dry in the Alpinestar Bogata Drystar outfit.

This was the last of the Spanish coast as we headed inland for Saint Jean Pied de Port, France.

We spent two nights in Saint Jean Pied de Port, where we spent the evening roaming the town, and took a day trip to the French coast.

http://www.ziberoa.com/

We took a day trip from Saint Jean Pied de Port to the Plage Du Metro, not far from Tarnos and had the place practically all to ourselves! Got to love October and the lack of vacationers!

More to come....

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 03:40:25 AM by Kosmic » Logged

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
obrianmcc
Dirt Squirt

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 05:16:01 AM »

A bucket list trip for sure ... Thx for sharing!

Ride - 2006 DRZ E (PLated), 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere

OBR ADV Gear, Enduro Touring Rackless Soft Bags

www.obradvgear.com or search us on Facebook
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 11:44:49 PM »

Wow!

This is yet another "RDS trip of a lifetime" Ride Report deluxe! I sit, green with envy, drool on my keyboard...     ricky

A motorcycle adventure replete with Big Waves - how supreme, a Stovey dream come true...  I must for now be content to read on, and drink a Kona Brewing Company Big Wave Golden Ale. It's journeys like these which reminds us all that life is good. and you are reminding us of just that, my friend. Salute!

Wish I had been there too. Keep it coming!   

lurk
 clap

Rally on,

Stovey

Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 03:30:36 AM »

Stovey and Obrian, I'm glad you are enjoying my report! It is good fun re-living the experience through photoshop!
After a delicious breakfast at our B&B we departed in the direction of Larrau, and found ourselves crawling up an amazing D road, which had us on the edge of our seats and the edge of of the mountains. Rather than going up and over a mountain pass, this road skated along the mountain ridge. First and second gear were my best friends, and third gear a distant cousin!
My wife handled the camera while I handled the road!

Hmmm... where to next?

Hmmm... still no idea!

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 04:13:58 PM »

Saharah takes some great images... especially since she needs to be staying put in the saddle on those seriously twisty roads. Looks a little narrow for my RAM 2500. I do love the images with no guardrails or ditches and the lack of prevalent signage. Reminds me of the wild west out here where there is less of a Nanny State mentality. Sure, there are guardrails here and there, but it's not like back East where there are guardrails everywhere with boxes of Kleenex every hundred yards so you can pull over and wipe your nose, dry your eyes - get a sip of Red Bull, rest between texts that take so much of your attention while hammering down the motorway to the next Starbucks.

oooopsy, did I rant? Better check my rant-meter and recalibrate. There, all better.    smile

Anyway, images of those narrow, high-mountain pavers really evoke feelings of independence in me right off the bat. I like it.   ricky

I forget Kosmic - aren't you fluent in French? What about Sarah?

Stovey

Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 03:45:40 AM »

Hi Stovey! Yes I appreciated the European's sense of owning one's sense of personal responsibility. I got the feeling that society is more open and honest about people taking risk!
I'm not fluent in French, but people told me that I spoke well, which is really just a polite way of saying, "we understand you"!
Sarah, knows a bit of French and much more Spanish, so it should be easy for her to learn enough French to pass the language test that is required for obtaining French citizenship. I have both French and American citizenship myself.
Cheers!

www.RideDualSport.com
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 03:25:18 PM »

Giant pumpkins perched on walls guided us through the valleys and up into the mountains.

Photographer at work!

Who wouldn't want to live here?

Our first mountain pass crossing into Spain.

www.RideDualSport.com
barba
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 08:26:37 AM »

Great ride and really nice pictures Kosmic!
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 07:02:13 PM »

Thank you Barba!

Road Lunch

A quick day ride on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees.

Then back over the pass to France

We used our phone and google to find our next two days lodging, about half the places we called were closed for the year, and we felt fortunate to have such a nice place!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:59:03 PM by Kosmic » Logged

www.RideDualSport.com
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: