RideDualSport
Advanced search  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: WHICH BIKE TO GET?  (Read 187 times)
xzatx
Road Toad

Email
« on: September 08, 2017, 04:35:54 AM »

im in the market for a small dual sport.
i currently have a GS adventure but im looking for something small for fun trails etc..
I'm looking for a recommendation between a used HUSKY TE449 (239lbs), TE511 (249lbs dry), the pricey 500exc (240lbs?) or husky FC350 (230lbs i think) (ALSO EXPENSIVE), but i heard that those bikes are very high maintenance and im now worried if i get a used one, it might be screwed up already. They are also outside my budget... Sad

I was about to purchase a used 2017 WR250R (300lbs wet) with 20 miles on it for cheap... but i heard that those bikes needs lots of modifications from stock to make it decent...
let me know what you think, my target budget is $5k. but i could probably go up to $6k.
Im not a PRO, nor a RACER and will not do crazy terrains.. i do prefer a durable dual sport with decent power.. and i will be towing it to trails... so it wont do much highways... im just afraid to get the wr250r and ending spending another $2k on it..
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 04:39:40 AM by xzatx » Logged
kwb377
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 06:07:05 AM »

Not sure what type of terrain you'll be riding, but as far as the TE449/511...I had a TE510 that I dual-sported. It was way too much of a beast in the tight stuff to use as a woods bike, and the close-ratio gearbox meant it sucked on the pavement as a dual-sport. In 5th gear at @ 50 mph on the asphalt, cranking the throttle open would produce a wheelie and wheelspin simultaneously. I always felt like that bike was trying to kill me. If you're riding open terrain and want to power-wheelie at 70 mph, the Husky's won't disappoint.

The 350 EXC seems to have a lot of satisfied owners from what I read on the various forums...but probably outside the $5k budget. For that money, I would probably try to find a cherry RFS motor'ed 400XCW.

~ '09 KTM 200 XC-W, '10 Husaberg FE390, '15 Kawasaki Versys 1K
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: