RideDualSport
Advanced search  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Riding in Michigan  (Read 382 times)
sb152
Road Toad

Email
« on: August 08, 2017, 06:49:36 PM »

I'm new to this forum and new to riding. I just purchased my first motorcycle in April - a DR200 - and finally had a chance to do some riding in nature. I live just outside Detroit and ride to work as much as possible and was eager to get out and do some real off-road riding. My brother in-law and I took the motorcycles to the UP of Michigan this past week and I thought I would share some of what we saw. Michigan may not have the beautiful mountain vistas I see on many other posts - but we do have some great "wilderness" areas to ride in. Below are pictures that were taken on our day excursions through the heart of the Hiawatha National Forest. We rode on four separate days during the week and only saw two people on the trails the whole time.

This is a "maintained" road

Probably the busiest this intersection has been in a long time.

Decisions...................decisions...........

This was an airfield from WW2 - then a missile base - now a winter proving ground

We have lots and lots of trees..................

Some small hills

This is a road of the non-maintained variety

Some hidden lakes - right behind those trees where the trail ended

Some lakes that are not so hidden - that's Superior with a small storm brewing

Sand

More trees...................

Yes - that's a "road" straight ahead - this one was alot of fun

Wild Blueberries everywhere!

I had a lot of fun on this trip and can't wait to do some more. Our plan for next month is an overnight camping trip to the "thumb" of Michigan.
BornAgain
Road Toad

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 10:11:07 AM »

That looks like it was a really fun trip. The UP of Michigan is really pretty and a whole lot cooler than Houston right now. lol How was your first off-road excursion did you have any trouble riding in the sand?

Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 01:29:04 PM »

Thank you for sharing your ride with us! It is very special to be able to roam around off road, the peace and quiet is what I enjoy most about dual sport riding.
Good times! ricky

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
sb152
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 01:38:09 PM »

That looks like it was a really fun trip. The UP of Michigan is really pretty and a whole lot cooler than Houston right now. lol How was your first off-road excursion did you have any trouble riding in the sand?

With my first ever encounter with sand - it was sand two - me zero. I went down twice  and bruised a rib or two but that didn't stop me from riding the rest of the week. The shallow sand was easier to navigate but in some spots it was 10 inches or more deep - sometimes mixed with loose rocks. To me this type of riding isn't about speed or conquering obstacles - it's just the pure enjoyment of being on the bike and away from traffic and population so I have no issue with paddling through sand instead of plowing through.   
BornAgain
Road Toad

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 10:23:05 AM »

Keep practicing pretty soon you'll learn how to give it just enough throttle to ride on top of the sand. That's when it gets really.....intresting and fun.
Robocop
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 03:52:06 AM »

Every one of them.
scrisp
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 08:14:33 PM »

Love you pictures!!  The UP is my favorite place to ride so far.  I've been there a few times and rode the trails from Mass City, all the way up the Keewenaw to Copper Harbor this past summer.  Then, went back in September and rode the Rexton trails. which was also incredible.  That was my first true single track ride and it was very challenging on a DR650, but my bike made it through with just a couple of slight mishaps by the rider.  lol

The sand is my nemesis too.  I got my car stuck in the sand about 10 miles off the paved road last summer, north of Newberry.  I had to sleep in my car then take my bike off the trailer the following morning to ride through the sand to the road.  I fell about 100 times,     , but made it.  lol  The sand was about knee deep most of the way.  Cost $250 to get it towed back to civilization from a guy with a big deuce and 1/2 military truck.  The further west that you go, the less sandy it is.  The trail up the Keewenaw 9Bill Nichols Trail) has a bit of sand, both nothing too bad, mostly black dirt.
sb152
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 08:21:41 PM »

I got my car stuck in the sand about 10 miles off the paved road last summer, north of Newberry. 

We were riding about 20 miles East of Newberry when I took my first spill in the sand - seemed like it was about a foot deep. Funny because I had just passed a car on the two track that seemed to have been recently abandoned in the sand and I was wondering how it had gotten there in the first place!
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: