RideDualSport
Advanced search  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: BOM 2017  (Read 157 times)
Metalcarver
Dirt Squirt

« on: July 20, 2017, 12:50:29 AM »

BOM 2017

I signed up for the Best of Montana 2017 ride which was going to be a 1700+ miles ramble through Montana and Wyoming with 50 riders signed up.  This has been organized every year by Wansfel on ADV rider.  They started in the Bitterroot Valley by Stevensville and crossed the mountains to Wisdom, MT and then up into the Pioneer mountains to camp at Elkhorn hot springs and Grasshopper USFS campground.  Myself and two accomplices rendezvoused at Dubois, Idaho and went up the Medicine Lodge road  over the continental divide at the base of the Beaverhead Range.  It was about 130 miles from Dubois to Grasshopper through the high-wide-and lonesome.

The start of the road was a gravel superhighway past a few ranches.

Then up the Bannack Pass Road.  Originally this road was a wagon road from the town of Bannack in Montana used to haul ore from the mines in Bannack.

Gaining altitude.

Said accomplices were WoodrowBDR and Jeff from Rexburg on Honda AT's.

"Never look back; something might be gaining on you"

And eating dust.

Higher it turns to two track with the ominous sign "Impassable when wet"

In Montana now.

A little obstacle.  Where WoodrowBDR is going is shallow with a steep get out.  The way I went was fairly deep, splashed hard, and the engine quit with the front wheel on dirt.  Started fine when it dried off for a couple of minutes.  Didn't get a picture of Jeff because I pushed the on/off button instead of the shutter.:shog

Out into a big wide empty valley.

And on to the Grasshopper campground where I managed to snag the group site and it filled up.

Paintbrush and geraniums.

Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 02:13:35 AM »

Very cool! Thank you Metalcarver, this is the first report on the BOM that I've seen, and am honored to have it!
The 2015 BOM was one of the highlights of all my riding years.
I look forward to more!
Cheers, Kosmic

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:27:05 AM by Kosmic » Logged

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
Metalcarver
Dirt Squirt

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 01:51:56 PM »

Day 2 BOM

Today is over 200 miles from Grasshopper C.G. to camp in Island Park, Idaho.  Island park is 246 KM (153 miles - Ural uses Napoleonic measures) from fillup in Dillon, Mt. which, if you spend a lot of time in the first couple of gears can use up all the fuel in the tank.  More on that later...

So after a good snooze most of us staggered in to the Grasshopper Inn, just down the road for medicinal coffee and good grub.  Here, a bunch of geezers are gathered around drooling.  Wansfel is the big guy in front.  The rest shall remain anonymous to protect the public.

Ruffians.

Hooligans.

Down to the trail near Bannack where we take off on a nice little 2 track.

We split up into small groups instead of a hell's angels run.  This is my group, the notorious Ladybug0048 on right.

Gas up in Dillon and on down the Clearwater road.

Gravelly Mountains in the background.

And up the Warm Springs road into the Gravellys.

The road through the Gravelly Mountains is one of the most breathtaking I have been on.  The road winds along ridge  tops at up to 9500 feet elevation with fantastic views in every direction.

Places for gnarlybikes to frolic as well...

The ominous clouds that had been looming all day finally caught up as the road went down into the Red Rock Valley.  For some reason I thought my team was ahead of me so I hurried to catch up and as a bit of hail and rain started down I realized it was me out of touch as usual.  The road wound down and smoothed out going across the valley.  It had rained and the surface was pretty slickery.  All of the two wheelers had gone white knuckled and were tip toeing across the gooey sections.  However, my steed had been built by Cossacks.  I was on the steppes.  With my sword held high I pinned it.  Mere mortals fell behind and were lost to history.  Forty-one fire breathing horsepower reduced the Red Rock Road to a mere invitation.  I was gone.  I paused at the Continental Divide for a pic.

Made it into Island Park for respite at the Lucky Dog saloon and Home for Wayward Boys for debriefing and beverages.  A glorious sleep and arose ready for more .  All geared up with the beast idling I made my farewells and the engine died.  Ran out of gas.  Had plenty on board but did not put it in the main tank.  Gas in and would not start.  Troubleshoot.  Good spark.  Maybe fuel pump cavitated so went to undo the gas line from one of the throttle bodies.  Cossack single use crimped hose clamp.  In cutting said hose clamp off I broke the nipple off the fitting.  End of trip.

!@#$%^&*
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 04:42:14 PM »

I sold the Ural.... movers are already loading it up. Got $50 for it so there's more beer budget. You know - like we need more beer at Cafe B'Uuzard just now...

MC - great pics! So glad we were able to play out in the woods and streams together, and that you parked the Comm-Bloc Freight Train at the Lucky Dog. We were lucky to have you. All your pics are LEGAL on RR's by the way.... earlier precautions were just for lat/long stuff. I took I think one picture is all. Too busy with wind in my hair.

Glad Lanny's bike didn't actually catch fire and burn. Not at the cabin anyways. I hope Brad and all the Texans are faring well and still having a good time! Looked like nobody actually spent the night at the brewery - I strongly suspect that it was hotter than the hubs of hell out there, and they all opted for the shaded tree sites at the campground in town. They are all happily on the move at this point...

https://spotwalla.com/locationViewer.php?id=443

Rally on you mad "BOM'ers"

Stovey

Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 01:55:09 AM »

Thank you for the spotwalla link! It shows real-time movement of the BOM riders?
By the way, Metalcarver, you deserve a medal for taking the Ural on the BOM.
If only the fitting that broke was made of tougher stuff!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:02:09 AM by Kosmic » Logged

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 02:55:39 AM »

Yep, Kosmic....

You should check out Spotwalla to see what it does. It's a free online account you can establish that will allow you to either create your own event in order to track riders who are on it, open via password to each rider with a tracker who wants to join your event. With this concept in mind, you can accept another event organizer's invitation to join the event they have created in order to be tracked while you are on it.

When you create your own event, you set the parameters including the date/duration so the event will eventually time out. You can password protect it or make the link open to the public. The accuracy of the mapping is incredible. With ZOOM, you can tell which campsite the riders are occupying. I can see which side of the cafe they are on and know exactly where people are if I know the terrain and locale - it's amazing!

the site supports all kinds of trackers, not just SPOT devices. Check it out. It's a useful tool for events like the BOM and other more structured rallies and competitions and really helps when it comes to, well... HELP.

Rally on,

Stovey

Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 08:36:15 PM »

STOVEY, Its wild how you can see things like Big Dog is ahead of everyone, Dan took a turn off the route to enjoy a mountain view, and why is R Squared still in Ten sleep?? I guess HF is fishing at the reservoir?? Cool software for sure!  ricky ricky

www.RideDualSport.com
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 10:58:31 PM »

Yes, it's wild to follow along and guess/surmise and suppose what each guy is up to....      naughty

Spotwalla uses the last known position of the tracking device registered for the event. So, if a guy stops to take a whiz and becomes enchanted by a beautiful trail demon who lures him into her cottage for the afternoon, and then he emerges simply transfixed by her spell and dumbfounded as to what just happened.... say he turned his SPOT off right before he went down the trail to her hut, about a half a mile away from his bike. She told him to just follow her down to the pond where her hammock is suspended between two magical beer trees overlooking a burrito bar.

So, he does - he turns off his SPOT and follows her through the woods. After it's all said and done, our biker hero comes back to his bike, stumbles aboard his steed and takes off, forgetting to turn his SPOT back on. He is loping along for two whole days before he realizes that

A) ... he forgot his helmet somewhere, but he doesn't really care.
B)... his SPOT is OFF, and
C)... he has an itch and has to pee alot. hmmmm

Anyway, Spotwalla has kept broadcasting his last known position at the trailhead to the beguiling witch's quarters 288 miles back. Even though he has moved, and his SPOT has moved with him, the tracker has never updated his position. So, Spotwalla thinks he's been standing still for a couple of days.

So, he turns his SPOT back on and turns it into TRACKING mode. The device is now sending fresh signals to the satellite and the data is automatically captured and shared with Spotwalla - bingo, his position is now updated.

But, what to do about that annoying itch?

Well, the moral to the story is - don't let your noodle go romanoff and stay on track! (Unless of course, you want to go off track...)  Your last known position will stay with the map location it was at when the last signal was received, until the Spotwalla event expires. Then, it goes away with the event.

Sometimes a guy will forget to turn on a Spot, or leave it off for whatever reasons, or there will be a software glitch, low-batt signal failure, satellite glitch, hardware problem... and the position will be inaccurate. But the tech is now solid and fairly robust, much better than say, GEN1 SPOT quite a few years ago. Delorme Earthmate, InReach, ACR Epirbs, and cell phones with apps are all examples of what people are using besides just a SPOT.

I'm still using a GEN1 SPOT device. Best and most serious for worldwide would be the ACR type Epirbs and aviation ELT's. ACRs and the like have strobes and will get you seen at night in addition to the emergency radio beacon broadcast. One of those and a can of smoke and you're good-to-go. (As long as you don't survive the worst ordeal of your life for days on end, bone showing, a wolverine attached to the bloody stump of what used to be your left arm, a grizzly bear approaching as you hear the "WHUMP-WHUMP-WHUMP" of a big rescue helo inbound... and you pop smoke in dry grass up in the bushes during fire season, and self immolate yourself as the flight crew watches like stunned beef overhead. They call in a slurry bomber instead, and un-ass the LZ, returning to base without even landing...)

lurk

Anyway, tracking beacons are good, and Spotwalla is cool.

thumb

Rally on,

Stovey

Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 11:04:38 PM »

So, I just checked the BOM and Ron and Tod are both IN the Boulder river washing off their junk, and a gangload of guys are in the Spring Creek Campground right next to each other in Boulder, Montana. Ladybug is just arriving and there are some breakaways along the trail from start to present.

Way coolio....

Stovey

Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 01:46:01 AM »

Stovey, you  are more fun than a barrel of monkeys on a banana boat!  poser poser

www.RideDualSport.com
Metalcarver
Dirt Squirt

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 01:56:21 AM »

Yes, it's wild to follow along and guess/surmise and suppose what each guy is up to....      naughty

Spotwalla uses the last known position of the tracking device registered for the event. So, if a guy stops to take a whiz and becomes enchanted by a beautiful trail demon who lures him into her cottage for the afternoon, and then he emerges simply transfixed by her spell and dumbfounded as to what just happened.... say he turned his SPOT off right before he went down the trail to her hut, about a half a mile away from his bike. She told him to just follow her down to the pond where her hammock is suspended between two magical beer trees overlooking a burrito bar.

So, he does - he turns off his SPOT and follows her through the woods. After it's all said and done, our biker hero comes back to his bike, stumbles aboard his steed and takes off, forgetting to turn his SPOT back on. He is loping along for two whole days before he realizes that

A) ... he forgot his helmet somewhere, but he doesn't really care.
B)... his SPOT is OFF, and
C)... he has an itch and has to pee alot. hmmmm

Anyway, Spotwalla has kept broadcasting his last known position at the trailhead to the beguiling witch's quarters 288 miles back. Even though he has moved, and his SPOT has moved with him, the tracker has never updated his position. So, Spotwalla thinks he's been standing still for a couple of days.

So, he turns his SPOT back on and turns it into TRACKING mode. The device is now sending fresh signals to the satellite and the data is automatically captured and shared with Spotwalla - bingo, his position is now updated.

But, what to do about that annoying itch?

Well, the moral to the story is - don't let your noodle go romanoff and stay on track! (Unless of course, you want to go off track...)  Your last known position will stay with the map location it was at when the last signal was received, until the Spotwalla event expires. Then, it goes away with the event.

Sometimes a guy will forget to turn on a Spot, or leave it off for whatever reasons, or there will be a software glitch, low-batt signal failure, satellite glitch, hardware problem... and the position will be inaccurate. But the tech is now solid and fairly robust, much better than say, GEN1 SPOT quite a few years ago. Delorme Earthmate, InReach, ACR Epirbs, and cell phones with apps are all examples of what people are using besides just a SPOT.

I'm still using a GEN1 SPOT device. Best and most serious for worldwide would be the ACR type Epirbs and aviation ELT's. ACRs and the like have strobes and will get you seen at night in addition to the emergency radio beacon broadcast. One of those and a can of smoke and you're good-to-go. (As long as you don't survive the worst ordeal of your life for days on end, bone showing, a wolverine attached to the bloody stump of what used to be your left arm, a grizzly bear approaching as you hear the "WHUMP-WHUMP-WHUMP" of a big rescue helo inbound... and you pop smoke in dry grass up in the bushes during fire season, and self immolate yourself as the flight crew watches like stunned beef overhead. They call in a slurry bomber instead, and un-ass the LZ, returning to base without even landing...)

lurk

Anyway, tracking beacons are good, and Spotwalla is cool.

thumb

Rally on,

Stovey

Damn ...  I'm really looking forward to the book ...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: