RideDualSport
Advanced search  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Spitslap  (Read 579 times)
Metalcarver
Dirt Squirt

« on: July 06, 2017, 01:11:50 PM »

Spitslap :  When you spit in your hand and slap it and go with the longest streak.

So, a call from good friend don Chano and I was off to connect in Logan, Utah by way of the Blackfoot Reservoir.

Ran out of town and got away clean...

Made it to Soda Springs and sat out a bunch of thunderstorms that were puking on MY road at the Gonzales Mexican Cafe (highly recommended).  Then Montpelier and Ovid and got on Idaho 36 to emigration canyon.  Logan canyon is beautiful but so very crowded now.  Emigration pass to Preston is much more sane.  All slab from Soda.

Set up camp at Emigration CG.  hm ... IMmigration = coming in.  Emigration = getting the hell out.  So, is Idaho filled with illegal immigrants from Utah?  ...  never mind...

The whole trip is filled with purty flars...  Arrow Leaf Balsam Root

Buttercup - ish, dunno...

Day 2

Left the CG and down to Preston then joined with don Chano in Smithfield and set out via Blacksmith Fork by Hyrum.  Got up to Hardware Ranch and headed down the Piss ant road and across PISS Ant Flat.  My grandfather called it that, my dad took me hunting there and some wiseacre in the forest service renamed it Ant Flat.  You still talk to the locals and they call it Piss Ant Flat.

Don Chano his own self.  He is overly modest.  He's a veteran of the Baja 1000 and his team took something like 10th overall as privateers.  What you see him do with a 990 you should not try at home.  Even on a Honda Grom.

Then on up Monte Cristo.  Paved but pretty.  High Uinta mountains in the background.  Our destination.

Driving from Woodruff to Evanston I'm sure has interesting things, only, I really haven't found them yet.  No pics.  We went up the Mirror Lake road and turned off on FS 58 to begin a traverse of the North Slope of the High Uintas.

And found a perfect camp site down a little side road.

Day 3

Don't know why I haven't heard more about the High Uinta North Slope Traverse.   A hundred miles of dirt through some spectacular country.  On one 7 mile stretch you would have to be pretty aggressive on a big bike.  They pave all the roads in the Uinta Mts. with baby heads.  The difficulty is determining how much of the head is exposed and how much you can handle.

Leaving camp and please don't step on the flowers...

Some of them were a bit crispy after a cold night.

And on our way again.

And down to China Meadows

Be careful wandering in the woods, something might be layin' for ya.

White columbines

Indian Paintbrush

The mountains starting to wind down approaching Flaming Gorge.

Geezers galore!

At the Flaming Gorge Dam

And then gas and a couple of incredibly expensive mediocre hamburgers, a $3 gallon of water, and a quick getaway from Dutch John.  This former construction camp for the Flaming Gorge dam is now the province of pimply teenagers roaring around in $60k shiny pickemups while their parents are fooling around on the $500k runabout.  Did not want to camp anywhere near this place so headed on down the Brown's Park road about 15 miles down the highway and found a campsite in a wildlife management area.

Coming Soon!   -   The Highway to Hell.

Day 4

Spitslap Day 4  -  Highway to Hell.

When I was doing a lot of climbing we had a rule to never go downhill into terrain that you don't know.  Blew that one.

Pretty morning at the WMA.

Saw guy clatter up near us in a pickup with horse trailer.  He used a can to make a funny noise and the five horses that stampeded in the night due to DC's snoring ran right up to that guy.  He gave out some treats, looked them over, put one in the trailer and drove off.

That visit made this the most crowded camp site of the whole trip.  On July 4th weekend even...

Time to vamos.

Uinta Mountains in the background.

Now if you are skilled enough, patient and persistent you might get this close to don Chano.

He waited for me at the state line.

And then winding on up to a pass that is 4 miles from the Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming tri - point.

It goes without saying on this forum that the most difficult and challenging pieces of riding don't get pictures.  Survival does have a priority.  You probably noticed the road sign at the state line as well as the helpful informative sign in the above picture.  These are to lure you in.  The road down the north side  begins innocently enough but then turns and heads straight downhill and you need a good feel on the brakes so as to not lock them up.  A couple of truck ruts got changed into 3 foot ditches and the road is set in enough that there is no turning around.  In the future I will define stress as that feeling you get when you are on a Ural, straddling a chasm, and it starts getting wider.  Panic is when said rift in the earth makes a right angle turn into oblivion.  All I can say is that the throttle can be your friend.  Your only friend.  Even el Patron said near the bottom that there's no going back on this one.

This is where it leveled out enough to stop to wipe sweat away.

Only to find a little drainage going down the same road to untold delights beyond.

Then we came to this:

We didn't say nothin'.

However, some outlaw cowboy had run a dozer down the site of the former bridge and back up the other side.  The bottom of the draw looked like this.

At the top of the slope it looked doable.  Somewhere on the back side of my mind is scrawled a saying "When in doubt, check it out".  I didn't.  The bottom of the wash had been filled with logs or rocks or something, covered with dirt and called good enough fer who it's for.  Well the last winter and washed a lot of it away.  Those holes you see are very deep and the only stable dirt is the hard pack you see.  Did I mention that the throttle is your friend?  The hill on the other side is steep enough that the Ural needs 10 to 15 mph to keep the rpm in the torque curve in first gear.  I saw the danger after I had pinned it for the climb.  A hard bounce and on up the other side.  Again little was said.  We pressed on.

Another couple of miles and we reached a county road which I guess means that there is some maintenance.  Some.  But yes, little by little we breathed easier.

We could still see the Uinta  Mountains.

The road became a regular dirt highway and we made it out to Highway 430 and Rock Springs.

We had plenty of excitement so it was nice to be on pavement and in Rock Springs we gobble a bunch of fast food and headed across Wyoming.  Our original plans were to make our way on back roads to South Pass but this last winter has really torn apart any roads that don't receive regular maintenance.  Slab it.  Now one could take pictures of the highway to Farson and to south pass, but ...  Why?  We got on the Lander cutoff near south pass and headed for the first camp site we could find.

Day 5

Spitslap 5  Lander cutoff to the Wyoming range.

A cold night but a beautiful morning.

Um, Mr. KHvol and any others of the vice presidential persuasion would y'all kindly step into my office?  I may dwell on the subject a lot and some of you have heard this particular lecture before, but I must repeat it until it is pounded into your pointy little heads.

Time will get you money but no amount of money will buy you time!

But on to the adventure. Nice driveway, eh?

And ride on a gravel superhighway into Pinedale for really good grub at Los Cabos.  (get the carne asada)

After chow we headed west to the highway and down to the Cottonwood - Ryegrass road.  We turned off on FS 50/46 a few miles and found an outstanding camp site.

El Patron in the distance.

AHhhhhhhhhhhh!

Day 6

Spitslap 6   Traverse of the East side of the Wyoming range across Thompson Pass to Grey's River.

This is another route that I should have heard more about it.  43 miles from Forest Road 125 (McDougal Gap) to the Tri-Basin divide via LaBarge Meadows.  Then 63 miles down the Greys River to Alpine.  Even on the 4th of July weekend we really only encountered traffic around Middle Piney Lake.

Morning after another chilly night.  Hard to imagine when it's upper 90's in IF.

Lupine (Wolfbane)

Along past Middle Piney and then up Thompson Pass.

And onto the Greys River Road which is in about as rough shape as I've seen.  Washouts have been filled with rock - small but not gravel.  Plus some surprise puddles that have something grey and disgusting in them.  We did check out the Smith Fork road but it was still blocked by snow.

We decided to camp early because we were nearing the part of the road where 5th wheelers grow like mushrooms.  Just a little way off the road and we had another totally private camp site.

No, I am not going to explain the backtrack.

Day 7

Day 7  The bubble pops.

Long luxurious snooze.  Quiet camp, beautiful place, what could possibly go wrong?

Got up and made lots of coffee and cruised for flower pics.

We got underway about noon.  The upper Greys River road is about as rough as I've ever seen it.  This last winter was hard and the extra moisture in March and April made for serious runoff all through the west.  But the farther downstream you go the bigger and smoother the road gets.

I had become complacent. This was after all the 4th of July. Just after we passed the Cazier gaurd station the trailers started growing in the meadows like mushrooms.  I think the true demarcation of the transition to purgatory is the Cherry Creek road to McDougal Gap.  A right turn here would have taken us back and made a complete circumnavigation of the Wyoming Range.  We went on amidst increasing traffic for the remaining 30 miles or so to Alpine.  I was in the lead and I came up to a monster 5th wheel trailer and to me and DC it looked like he pulled over to let me pass.  When I was about even with the trailer tires he abruptly turned right into me.  He was intentionally trying to run me off the road.  I stopped, honked and he stopped, so I tried to go around.  A truck coming the other way had to brake for me and flipped me off.  Adrenaline twisted the right grip hard and after a few miles I stopped and compared notes with DC.  Yep, they matched.  So for the rest of the way into Alpine it was a slow parade of road rhinos and 4 wheelers and dust rising into the atmosphere.  And hot.  When we got to Alpine there was the 4th of July parade so we had to wait.  We were talking by the side of the road when the said 5th wheeler drove by.  I walked into the roadway and stared at them, neither the old man or his wife would look at me.  Utah plates.  Something has happened to Utah since I grew up there and then came back to Idaho a few years ago.  The freeways are totally full of angry obnoxious people driving the same way.  Now they are polluting Wyoming.  Totally empty roads for the whole trip (except Dutch John and Pinedale) and my bubble popped.  Another excellent burger at Yankee Doodle Cafe next to the bridge finished the trip.  DC headed for Smithfield and myself to Idaho Falls.  Was contemplating a return via Falls Creek but I could see up the canyon from the highway and there was  dust rising as far as I could see.  Bikers please be cautious on holidays.  It's dangerous out there...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 01:20:46 PM by Metalcarver » Logged
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 02:22:37 AM »

Once again, TREMENDOUS reportage Dave!    thumb

* It looks as if you've installed some serious Rigid LED's on the hack, yes? How do they work - they look awesome....

* Is Chano coming with us next week?

* I was watching you via InReach most of last week and thinking to myself (pretty much was all by myself for most of the week anyways...) that, "...there he goes again! Some say, he's out there still...."

I love this RR and all the pics. Glad you didn't die via a UTARD RV bumper. It's been absolutely crazy in these parts. Dorothy's friend was in a fatal head-on last week in J-hole. Traffic is terrible with a capital WTF, all day, every day - both sides of the hill. She survived, got out of intensive care a couple days ago. Her husband died instantly. Drunk driver in truck who smacked them walked away.

Rather be out there on the METALCARVER DISCOVERY ROUTES - you make the best tracks and go to all the best places my good man! Great pics, as usual. That Ural really takes it on. Love the chasm spanning - I never had to consider such a technical situation as that! Good on you for sussing that out dude....       clap     ricky          Artful dodging for sure.

Are you prepping for BOM?

Rally on,

Stovey

Metalcarver
Dirt Squirt

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 04:44:26 AM »

Once again, TREMENDOUS reportage Dave!    thumb

* It looks as if you've installed some serious Rigid LED's on the hack, yes? How do they work - they look awesome....

* Is Chano coming with us next week?

* I was watching you via InReach most of last week and thinking to myself (pretty much was all by myself for most of the week anyways...) that, "...there he goes again! Some say, he's out there still...."

I love this RR and all the pics. Glad you didn't die via a UTARD RV bumper. It's been absolutely crazy in these parts. Dorothy's friend was in a fatal head-on last week in J-hole. Traffic is terrible with a capital WTF, all day, every day - both sides of the hill. She survived, got out of intensive care a couple days ago. Her husband died instantly. Drunk driver in truck who smacked them walked away.

Rather be out there on the METALCARVER DISCOVERY ROUTES - you make the best tracks and go to all the best places my good man! Great pics, as usual. That Ural really takes it on. Love the chasm spanning - I never had to consider such a technical situation as that! Good on you for sussing that out dude....       clap     ricky          Artful dodging for sure.

Are you prepping for BOM?

Rally on,

Stovey

Aye Laddie, 'tis the BOM for sure.  New shoes for the Ural and complete service this week.  Runs like a 53 chevy bubble nose.  Good for 50 years at least.  Might be slow but certainly cool.  Couple guys from Rexburg on AT's and myself are heading up the Medicine Lodge and catch up in the Pioneers.  Might have timing conflicts about day 5 but we press on regardless.
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 01:23:16 PM »

Metalcarver, thank you for your fantastic ride report, with so many life-enhancing moments too! Congratulations for standing up to the low-life who tried to run you off the road. You are an impressive adventurer, steady, thoughtful, perceptive, humble, and a talented rider heading into situations where there is no way but forward! Time is precious indeed, and you have made my morning a great one.
Cheers, Kosmic
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:32:27 PM by Kosmic » Logged

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
portabill
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 03:09:36 PM »

Love the reports on the MDRs (Metalcarver Discovery Routes)!
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 11:06:06 PM »

Me too!

clap

Stovey

Jay547
Super Rat

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 04:42:57 PM »

Put me in the jealous category.  thumb
sb152
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 06:35:22 PM »

I have just purchased my first motorcycle and got a dual sport specifically because this is the type of adventure I would like to have. I stumbled across this forum today and realized after reading this post I had to join. If not for useful information - at least it can feed my jealousy (or aspirations depending on the day).
Metalcarver
Dirt Squirt

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 08:09:55 PM »

I have just purchased my first motorcycle and got a dual sport specifically because this is the type of adventure I would like to have. I stumbled across this forum today and realized after reading this post I had to join. If not for useful information - at least it can feed my jealousy (or aspirations depending on the day).

Well, thank you.  Yes you can blame it on me but really, It's all Stovey's fault.  Look for "Legends of the Fall" on this board.  He's a geezer trainee,  I'm a geezer, and your page says that your age is unavailable which beats the hell out of mine.  Congrats on the new bike and we'll expect pictures of the places everybody else overlooked. 
Jay547
Super Rat

Email
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 12:40:29 AM »

this is the type of adventure I would like to have.

Me too - and I've been riding since '72.
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 03:16:07 PM »

Welcome to RDS forums, sb152 - glad you are here!

Metalcarver's words are too kind, as is his usual way. His adventures are varied and deep - epics that span thousands of miles and perhaps centuries. (I am not as kind as he.)  hehehehe  But, he can pay me back during a next epic adventure about to launch in merely days when and where he and I shall cross paths again.

The hinterlands await you as well and the RDS forums are a great resource for fueling the adventure spirit. I've met people and made friends here from these connections that have ignited further dreams and execution of more travel plans. Many thanks to Kosmic and DrXRR for the entire RDS scene. Many thanks indeed!

(For instance, both of their names came up in conversation last night around a campfire in southeastern Idaho, on the Wyoming border. I know this because I was there, amongst other RDS forum members, and much history was again discussed and backslaps etc..  This forum puts people together in ways I had never imagined was likely or even possible.)

Indeed welcome - via yet another great Metalcarver ride report. He does inspire, don't he?

Rally on,

Stovey

Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 01:36:30 AM »

Thank you for your kind words about our RDS forum! I do miss you and I'd loved to have come up for the Best of Montana - I do believe you will have some of the finest riders in Texas at the BOM this month! Give UlyBrad a slap on the back from me!

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: