RideDualSport
Advanced search  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Wallowa Jamboree  (Read 71 times)
Metalcarver
Dirt Squirt

« on: June 12, 2017, 08:27:17 PM »

Wallowa Jamboree!

I left Monday the 5th having been warned that all the back country routes to Wallowa were basically shut down so I had resigned my self to a long but pretty slab session.

The Lost River was still found...

And a lunch stop near the Mt. Borah trailhead.  (Tallest mountain in Idaho)

Followed the Salmon River from Challis to Stanley.

Sawtooths above Stanley.

The road to Lowman was closed due to a washout , so ended up camping at Redfish Lake.

Followed the twisties the next day through Lowman, Cascade, McCall, Council, Cambridge and down to the Snake River in Hell's Canyon where they were letting gouts of water out of the Brownlee Dam.

From there up the highway to FS 39 to Wallowa.  The "landslide" that I had been warned about was a pile of dirt big enough that RV's had to get on the shoulder to get around.  -meh-  But found a nice little camp spot off the side of the road.  Quite warm today.

And views of Hell's Canyon from the overlook at the top of 39 the next day.

And after a very bad year a number of fist pumps and end zone dance to be back in the Wallowa Valley.

Set up camp at the Log Cabin RV park and lit out with Dr. Mike for the Red Hill lookout.

Long after the dream is gone...

Still heading for the lookout.

Red Hill Lookout tower.

And back.

DR Mike... guess it must be me.  Everyone in ADV has two names and I usually only remember one.

And down Crow Creek to base.

The next day I followed Mr. Carl (name 1) out Zoomwalt Rd. to Bucksnort lookout.  er... you mean what I knowed.

And back at camp reinforcements from the eastern bloc.

We headed for the saloon in Imnaha the next day.

And from there up the Camp Creek road.

Marc and Josh

And the vigilance committee guarding the Zumwaldt road.

The downpour the next night froze to the tents in the morning.  So mostly people just faded away into the lack of a sunset.  From my post on the Wallowa Jamboree thread:

Made it home in one big bite. 475 miles. I climbed up the east side of Hell's Canyon to Cambridge and was immediately surrounded by giant thunderheads pissing on all the places I was thinking of camping. So, headed south through Wheezer thinking maybe over to the Owyhee uplands. Same big cow, same flat rock. Jumped (figuratively speaking for a Ural) on the freeway and wound that sucker all the way up to 65 and pinned it to Mountain Home thinking I could see light at the end of the tunnel. Total cow + flat rock from Boise to Craters of the Moon. No camping toward Sun Valley. Enter Lost River valley at your own risk and hell, only a couple of hours home so , press on regardless. Complete with a little Siberian gnome sitting behind me and stabbing me between the shoulder blades every time I looked left or right. Between Stanton and Picabo I caught up to the edge of the storm and it was moving across my path at probably 40 mph. Got hit by side winds that actually slid my butt off the solo seat, fortunately everything else stayed attached but, that Ural can take one hell of a side wind. And that's the point that I saw the clouds above my head rotating, with these vertical bits on the edge of a mile wide dark cloud. And the cow and the flat rock. Came to find out that there was a tornado watch for the area. Almost only counts in hand grenades... Dry roads from there on.
Gawd, I can hardly wait until next year! Good to see everyone again.
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 12:23:24 AM »

You did it anyway!

Nice work, MC....  "Never Give Up!" That's YOU.

Another triumph on the photography as well. Amazing. Would love to confab with you again soon, and hear more details about this trip! I've been gone for the past week, working at the cabin. (The bar is back UP.) Club fun enduro this coming weekend, and a rider friend from New Zealand arriving Tuesday for a quick romp. After that, I am punching through for some light at the end of a short tunnel, and will shoot you a line.

Rally on my brutha!

Stovey

Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 03:50:59 AM »

Thank you for your awesome ride report Metalcarver! The Ural looks right at home on those beautiful gravel roads, I bet the big windshield was nice when you did the 475 miles in one day! How many hours was it?  Beautiful photos as usual! I've heard rumors that a wild Texan is considering going Russian...
My Grandfather was Russian, and was born a mere 4,000 miles from the Ural factory, what a great "Roots" expedition that would make!
Cheers, Kosmic

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
Metalcarver
Dirt Squirt

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 04:36:18 AM »

Thank you for your awesome ride report Metalcarver! The Ural looks right at home on those beautiful gravel roads, I bet the big windshield was nice when you did the 475 miles in one day! How many hours was it?  Beautiful photos as usual! I've heard rumors that a wild Texan is considering going Russian...
My Grandfather was Russian, and was born a mere 4,000 miles from the Ural factory, what a great "Roots" expedition that would make!
Cheers, Kosmic

Now that would be a trip...  of a lifetime.
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 03:29:33 PM »

NCC-1701

thumb

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: