RideDualSport
Advanced search  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Spring?  (Read 319 times)
Metalcarver
Dirt Squirt

« on: May 13, 2017, 04:22:35 PM »

So it's 37 degrees F. and raining on May 13.  But we did have some nice weather a couple of weeks ago....  really.

These pics are all within about 10 miles of Idaho Falls...

Taylor Creek Road

Wolverine Canyon

And out to the Snake River Plain.  (Beaverhead, Lemhi, and Pioneer Mts. in dim background + Middle and East Buttes in the Arco Desert)

Grays Lake Rd.

Jay547
Super Rat

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 04:07:01 AM »

70's and 80's here but good gawd it won't quit raining. We had the wettest April on record and it hasn't let up.
FUHL
Super Rat

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 03:23:19 PM »

Mountains are still full of snow here. I haven't rode my bike yet this year.

2016 Beta Xtrainer 300, 2001 Yamaha TT-R125L, 2007 Can-Am Renegade 800. 2008 Dodge AWD Charger R/T. 2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost.
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 10:43:32 PM »

It is nice to hear from you Metalcarver! I've been waiting to see some of your Ural adventures! I love the vast amount of dirt roads that are available to the public in your state!
Cheers, Kosmic

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
Metalcarver
Dirt Squirt

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 03:48:52 PM »

Wyoming Raid! 

McCoy Creek pass is open.  Jensen pass closed and I suspect the Skyline Ridge Road will have mud and drifts.  However I made a successful raid on Wyoming yesterday.  Over the pass to Alpine and about halfway up the Little Greys River road.  Looks to me like the Grays River has about as much water in it as the snake does in late summer. (Lots)

McCoy Creek Pass

McCoy Creek , roaring instead of babbling.

Little Greys River Road

And back home the same way.

Stern, but not cruel...

Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 10:00:37 PM »

Metalcarver, I'm enjoying your general pillaging and raiding!
Please tell me how you are feeling about the Ural's reliability and ability to get you home, especially when the pillaging get heavy!
I'm trying to get a feel for how much I could trust a Ural in the desert, far far away from humans.
Thanks!

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 01:13:58 AM »

...and where are the badgers?!     lol

lurk

thumb

Rally on you wascally wabbit...

Stovey

Metalcarver
Dirt Squirt

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 01:25:22 AM »

Metalcarver, I'm enjoying your general pillaging and raiding!
Please tell me how you are feeling about the Ural's reliability and ability to get you home, especially when the pillaging get heavy!
I'm trying to get a feel for how much I could trust a Ural in the desert, far far away from humans.
Thanks!

Only have 1k miles on it so far.  Impressions: basic construction is hell for stout.  Where a Japanese bike would have a precision die cast heat treated part, Ivan grabbed a big old chunk of black iron, sheared it, bent it and welded the sucker on.  But it's a push rod OHV engine and it sounds really busy above 4k rpm.  60 mph = 4150 rpm.  But cruising dirt roads it gives the impression that it's gonna keep on keepin on.  We'll see.  The more I drive it, the more I like it.  Skinny tires and 730 lb. dry stock means that an urgent slow down on gravel roads includes some really colorful language.  For gross vehicle weight the rule of thumb is that a Ural can carry a Ural.  Mine has EFI and the map needs finessing.  Kind of low idle speed and coughs a little until it's warmed up then fine.  The ride yesterday I got 43 mpg. Performance wise, seems like you have plenty of power up to 50 or so and then it's trying to push a lot of stuff through the air.  Highway driving (not freeway) it's kind of like pushing an early 60's VW bug through the rockies.  1st gear is a little tall for rock crawling but all the forest and fire roads I've been on so far have been fine.  They've done a lot of QC since the reputation they got in the 90's.  I have a video of the ride yesterday but they sure take up your time editing.  Will get it out soon.

http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/index.php

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:31:06 AM by Metalcarver » Logged
Metalcarver
Dirt Squirt

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 01:28:38 AM »

...and where are the badgers?!     lol

lurk

thumb

Rally on you wascally wabbit...

Stovey

I suspect we'll be sharing the same roads this summer.  Hence, my winch.   
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 02:14:57 PM »

God, I needed that....     lol        lol          lol

Still laughing!

Leaving for Yellowstone Rally in an hour. Offline for about 6 days, on the outside. Gonna go use somebody else's winch.

Stovey

Wolverine
Super Rat

The English is hard to me

gfdiazr@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 07:04:59 PM »

Wolverine Canyon

My nickname Canyon, Cool pics. thumb

Fabian
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print