RideDualSport
Advanced search  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Newbie DSR in Utah  (Read 125 times)
stratokerberos
Road Toad

Email
« on: April 06, 2017, 11:13:24 PM »

Been a long time road rider but looking to get more off the street and more off road, maybe a 50/50 style. Now in my early 30's, I'm looking for exploration and enjoying nature. This forum seems promising and looking forward to sharing ideas, tips, and experiences.

First I need a bike, been researching the DRZ400 or even something in the 650 range. Look forward to any suggestions. 

wild-billy
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 11:44:33 PM »

clap The DRZ is the best for off-road economy and its ok for short runs on the road.  I've gone 10 miles to get to a trail and I can say that 20-28 would be as far as I would care to ride it.  Otherwise, I'll throw it in the truck...  Good luck!
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 02:32:25 PM »

Howdy strato! Thank you for joining us on RDS!
I think the main factor in deciding between a 400 or 650 cc bike is how long the road riding portions are between off road explorations.  Also keep in mind how much camping gear you would carry.
The 400cc bikes shine when the roads degrade into 4 wheel jeep tracks, rough rocky climbs and deep sand. The bigger bikes can be a liability, and cause harm to your body in the rough stuff.
A DRZ with a better seat, large tank and windshield can be tolerable on the pavement, but won't match a KLR 650 for comfort. A KLR 650, won't need any upgrades for comfort or fuel capacity, so that is a plus.
Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
stratokerberos
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 11:03:22 PM »

Howdy strato! Thank you for joining us on RDS!
I think the main factor in deciding between a 400 or 650 cc bike is how long the road riding portions are between off road explorations.  Also keep in mind how much camping gear you would carry.
The 400cc bikes shine when the roads degrade into 4 wheel jeep tracks, rough rocky climbs and deep sand. The bigger bikes can be a liability, and cause harm to your body in the rough stuff.
A DRZ with a better seat, large tank and windshield can be tolerable on the pavement, but won't match a KLR 650 for comfort. A KLR 650, won't need any upgrades for comfort or fuel capacity, so that is a plus.
Looking forward to hearing more from you!

thank you for the warm welcome and great tips. So hard to choose, seems like i need one of both :-)
stratokerberos
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 11:05:00 PM »

clap The DRZ is the best for off-road economy and its ok for short runs on the road.  I've gone 10 miles to get to a trail and I can say that 20-28 would be as far as I would care to ride it.  Otherwise, I'll throw it in the truck...  Good luck!

thank you so much for the welcome. Your input is greatly appreciated! i'll follow up once i can find the right bike for the right price :-)
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 02:12:16 AM »

Welcome aboard, strato!

Glad you are here. There's a wealth of info, experience and good nature here - even some classic buffoonery of the highest order. Look for good advice from sage riders and opportunities to meet people face to face at events as well.

Good journeys on your bike search. There's one out there for you!

All the best,

Stovey

glitch_oz
Road Toad

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 06:16:44 AM »

Been a long time road rider but looking to get more off the street and more off road, maybe a 50/50 style. Now in my early 30's, I'm looking for exploration and enjoying nature. This forum seems promising and looking forward to sharing ideas, tips, and experiences.

First I need a bike, been researching the DRZ400 or even something in the 650 range. Look forward to any suggestions.  

Hi from another noob here.
Goodonya for getting onto the dirt. Wish I'd done it at your age because trying to catch up seems to regularly result in busted bikes (and busted ass). drink
As for the Drizzer400...did a 4500mi West Coast ramble in 2011 and the better half had a "tricked" DRZ400 (gearing and seat changed) without a single hiccup.
Other bikes going along were a DR650 and the KLR I bought in Portland a year earlier.
Had a cracker of a time and the little 400 proved the ace-of-the-pack, happily sitting on 65-75mph all day long without numb-bum or numb-hands.

They can get hot while at it, though... (and we werent't even "out of the gate" yikes

The KLRs have this tire-problem, you see?  smile

Sorry, got carried away again...WELCOME! to what seems a pretty, bloody nice spot on the interweb, full of
good folks.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 06:29:34 AM by glitch_oz » Logged

Cheers from DownUnder
Pete
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: