http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113511Announcing the 9th annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride. The 9th annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride is scheduled for Monday, July 31 - Friday, August 4, 2017.
Come spend a week riding dirt bikes in an alpine environment away from the Texas heat.
Average temperature end of July / first of August high 70.5° & low 46.7°Weather informationGoal
I want to invite others to come out and ride for three reasons, (other than to meet new friends).
1. The trails need more riding in. If we don't use the trails we risk losing access.
2. More riders over a short period of time will demonstrate the positive economic impact of motorcyclists responsibly using National Forest land.
3. Although there is no cost to participate in the ride this year I would like to make a group donation to a local Cloudcroft organization or charity to give back and further motorcyclists cause as a responsible user group; organization and amount TBD. Regardless of the local Cloudcroft organization or charity I would like to get a group of riders together for a short ceremony to make the donation at lunch time one day.Basic information
The ride is based in Cloudcroft, New Mexico.
There are no formal rides, meetings or routes
. Just an excuse to ride in the mountains and escape the Texas heat, plus see 3 reasons above. Available terrain ranges from class 1 roads to extreme enduro type trails. With riders of different skill levels attending you should be able to ride with someone or a group that fits your ability. I.E. Find the group that is going to ride at the level you want for the day. I will be happy to give route and terrain advice.
Invite your family, invite your friends, everyone is welcome and encouraged to attend and ride. You determine when you arrive or depart and your level of participation each day and - ride all day, 1/2 a day or not at all. My family plans to ride Monday through Friday.
My family will be on plated dirt bikes but there are plenty of forest service and logging roads for heavier dual sports. The afternoons my wife rides we stick mostly to gravel forest service roads and logging roads as most of the singletrack trails are very technical. I try to get in at least one full day on the Rim Trail and other singletrack trails.
My wife and I plan to arrive on Saturday night to get situated on Sunday, scouting, getting last minutes items, and maybe even riding a little.Trail information Map
Paper maps and other trail information is available at the SACRAMENTO RANGER DISTRICT office
, 4 Lost Lodge Rd, Cloudcroft, NM 88317
Office Hours: 8:00am - 4:00pm M-FCloudcroft Chamber of Commerce
Alamogordo is 16 miles to the west (about 5500 feet lower in elevation) has the major chain stores and several motorcycle shops.Cloudcroft, New Mexico is....
* up at 9,000 elevation.
* 40 miles from casino wagering and golf at the Inn of the Mountain Gods.
* 50 miles from Ruidoso Downs.
* 16 miles from the Space Museum, Alameda Park Zoo, and Toy Train Depot in Alamogordo.
* 40 miles from White Sands National Monument.
* 150 miles from Carlsbad Caverns.
* 90 miles from El Paso and the Mexican border.
* Within 50 miles of 8 magnificent golf courses.Lodging:
· We stay at the Spruce Cabins
, there are lots of cabins
in town and several motels
. We stock up on groceries in Alamogordo for sandwiches on the trail and to cook out in the evenings.
· The Spruce Cabins
offers a 10% motorcycle discount but you have to ask for it to receive it.
· If you stay 6 nights at the Spruce Cabins
, the 7th night is free, since we booked 6 nights we are going to arrive a day early and take advantage of the extra night.
· Camping in Lincoln National ForestRiding requirements:
· Motorcycles registered for use on public streets are not
required to be registered for off-highway motor vehicle use. NEW MEXICO OFF-HIGHWAY MOTOR VEHICLE (OHV) PROGRAM
· A Texas (or New Mexico) OHV sticker is required for off road only motorcycles
to ride on National Forest land. Texas Off-Highway Vehicles (OHV) Program
/ Out of State or Visitor Permitting RquirementsTrailsTrail information Trail spreadsheet with difficulty ratingsMap
Paper maps and other trail information is available at the SACRAMENTO RANGER DISTRICT officeGPS track mapsCloudcroft partial overviewRim Trail GPSBenson Ridge area, Taylor Canyon Trail (T5007) & Wills Canyon Trail (T5008) West Side RoadApple Tree Canyon Trail (T5601) Karr Canyon RdNew Mexico off-road riding informationhttp://www.nmohva.org/main/index.phphttp://www.b4uride.com/