RideDualSport
Advanced search  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: motoz mountain hybrid on a dr350?  (Read 673 times)
qwertyuiop
Road Toad

Email
« on: August 11, 2016, 05:44:48 PM »

i like the profile and reviews of the mountain hybrid but i don't know if it will squeeze on the rear of my dr. was wondering if anyone else is running this tire on a dr350. only size available is 120-100-18, Im mostly concerned with the height and the tire rubbing the mud guard at the front side of the swingarm. its about 40mm taller than the worn out 4.00x18 thats on it now
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 01:24:28 PM »

Tire clearance can certainly be a problem, especially if you encounter muddy conditions.  It is a rather tall and chunky looking tire. I am not sure the extra weight and lack of clearance would justify the tire?
My brother put too big a tire on his XR650R, and went back to a smaller size, and it did not impact the amount of traction available.

Cheers!

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
qwertyuiop
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 06:06:59 PM »

thanks for the input, my second option is a D606 i just think it won't be as good of a combo with my trials style front on the street. i may just change them both. i really like trials tires for pavement but they leave something to be desired in mud. that's why i wanted to try the mountain hybrid. its a trials style tire but the tread spacing is just a little more aggressive. maybe someday they will offer it in more than one size.
IHRunner
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 04:39:37 AM »

I was in bad need of new tires and have been wanting to try something new. Couldnt settle on an upgrade so i went back with the 270 kenda's. Should be in this week for the honda. Im so leery about changing stuff up but id like a write up if you go with the hybrids
qwertyuiop
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 09:56:06 PM »

sorry for the long delay but i finally got some spare funds to throw at the old DR. it now seems that the mountain hybrid comes in 3 sizes so i went with the 110-100-18 which will be about perfect, now im glad i waited. the other size is 110-90-19 for anyone interested. just ordered, should be here in a few days i will post back with an initial review and a long term once i get some miles on it.
qwertyuiop
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 10:01:20 PM »

worn right down to the nubs. needless to say this tire is a huge improvement over what i was running and i have no basis for comparison as this is the first tire change i have done on this bike since owning it. this is just a for what its worth posting for anyone who is interested in this tire.

i put about 150 miles on it so far and i have to say its just as good as i was expecting. those miles were prob 80 percent on road 20 percent off. it handles on the street very well wet or dry. i have tested the traction limits under braking and acceleration and it is very predictable and well mannered on the street. it is not very loud and has minimal vibration. it did shuffle a but side to side but i feel like the more i rode and got it broke in the less it did it. also i was used to riding a bald square tire beforehand. i took it on some some single track with hill climbs, mud, deep sand, mossy rock water crossings, rock gardens (about grapefruit size) and just regular old dirt and i never felt like i was lacking traction. although i try to avoid mud holes when i'm riding by myself because getting stuck makes a fun ride alot less leisurely. i'm sure it is not like a knobby in the deep stuff but it handled everything i threw at it well enough. not surprisingly i'm much more confident about being able to get the front wheel up over obstacles. i think i'm going to switch to a more aggressive front tire as it is now the weak link.

these are after the first 150 miles. seems to be holding up decent enough. time will tell.

i got it off rocky mountain ATV for $95 and i'm running an ultra heavy duty tube in it which i would not recommend (stupid heavy)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 07:09:43 AM by qwertyuiop » Logged
wild-billy
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 01:15:17 PM »

Nice!  Did you check the wheel balance?  That might help with the vibration.  I'm running Kenda Tracmasters, which are very aggressive and I have very little vibration.
qwertyuiop
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 05:17:02 PM »

i was more talking about the feel of the tread hitting the road is minimal. it does not feel unbalanced at all. perfectly stable and smooth at 70 mph. im running 22 psi btw. i almost felt like i had to put that much pressure just to get the tube to expand to the inside of the tire because the tube is so thick. ill be changing tubes when i do wheel bearings in the near future.
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 10:53:30 PM »

That is a beefy tire for sure! It should be quite good in the loose stuff! Thanks for sharing that with us!  ricky ricky

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: