RideDualSport
Advanced search  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: outfitting My New Beak-Strom  (Read 17331 times)
DR_Jax_650
Combat Wombat

I'm Riding a Motorcycle to Alaska....Someday! ;)

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2015, 12:18:49 AM »

OK so a New Model DL1K  and 3 different sets of Handguards  that will not conform to the required Space available... Oh I could drop 200.00 for the Barkbuster.. but the budget say's UHM....NO..
So I defaulted to the OEM knuckleguards

If they made a movie about my life ...I wouldn't be handsome or talented enough to play my part...Sigh
DR_Jax_650
Combat Wombat

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2015, 10:29:12 PM »

From buying these to modifications to installation...
installed Hi-Vis Film

Checking the properties

Right hand side installed on the Vee-2

Seems to be a lot better Y / N ?

Full on view ......

Bigger better faster

Next up,   Driving lights...and Harness

ricky Updates As they become available ricky

If they made a movie about my life ...I wouldn't be handsome or talented enough to play my part...Sigh
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin

WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2015, 10:41:01 PM »

Nice job on the reflective front lines of battle! The bike is looking good, I like the red!
I think Suzuki has a real winner on their hands, I hope I get a chance to ride one because I think I'd really like the motor.

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
DR_Jax_650
Combat Wombat

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2015, 10:51:50 PM »

Kosmic your welcome to try mine out when you get this far North & East...
 ricky  Its a great motor or at least the predecessor was  thumb  This one is verrrry smoooth  wings

Metalcarver
Dirt Squirt

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2015, 06:47:16 PM »

On the givi bars...  If it's like the old ones, there's a little spacer that the center bolt goes through.  Sometimes it's too long and will not let the tubes squeeze down on the center piece.  A touch on the grinder fixed mine.  ( And a dab of silicone inside the slidey piece)
DR_Jax_650
Combat Wombat

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2015, 02:38:09 AM »

Yes, that was how the '05 set was also... These 2014 units now have a cross drilled center connector ( aka: Slidey Piece.... Roll Eyes Some how that sounds Risque?
OK....Now, the Cross tubes are drilled thru also, allowing for the bolt holes to only line up after the o-rings on the center-connector are compressed..the Clamp allowed for the o-rings to compress easily...

Quote from: Metalcarver link=topic=4612.msg49 300#msg49300 date=1424976436
On the givi bars...  If it's like the old ones, there's a little spacer that the center bolt goes through.  Sometimes it's too long and will not let the tubes squeeze down on the center piece.  A touch on the grinder fixed mine.  ( And a dab of silicone inside the slidey piece)

Metalcarver
Dirt Squirt

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2015, 04:46:24 AM »

Yes, that was how the '05 set was also... These 2014 units now have a cross drilled center connector ( aka: Slidey Piece.... Roll Eyes Some how that sounds Risque?
OK....Now, the Cross tubes are drilled thru also, allowing for the bolt holes to only line up after the o-rings on the center-connector are compressed..the Clamp allowed for the o-rings to compress easily...

Dang all them new fangled contraptions...  What's an honest Luddite to do?
DR_Jax_650
Combat Wombat

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2015, 02:40:16 PM »

Dang all them new fangled contraptions...  What's an honest Luddite to do?

Metalcarver,
To quote a Senior Chief Machinist Mate I once new  .......
STOP!!  " Don't use Force !!! ........ Here's a Bigger Hammer .... lol

DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2015, 02:58:58 PM »

Very cool!  OEM hand guards on my list too.....mostly because they are less expensive, will fit up nice, and do the job for the mostly road-riding i anticipate.

Christian
 2014 V Strom 650, 00 XR650R, 03 Beta ALP 200, 02 Buell S3T, 84 900 Ninja, 48 Chief
Metalcarver
Dirt Squirt

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2015, 05:04:49 PM »

Don't know if these will fit the new guys:
http://www.cyclegear.com/TRACKSIDE-Aluminum-Handguard-Kit-with-Shields

But by placing your tongue in the proper position and saying appropriate words I got them to fit on the 2011 Beastrom.  Cheaper than OEM with alu guard bar.

Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2015, 07:00:05 PM »

But by placing your tongue in the proper position and saying appropriate words I got them to fit on the 2011 Beastrom.  Cheaper than OEM with alu guard bar.
Beer can make a difference when installing hand guards and the difference can be for better or worse, depending on so many variables!

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
Metalcarver
Dirt Squirt

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2015, 10:51:17 PM »

Beer can make a difference when installing hand guards and the difference can be for better or worse, depending on so many variables!

Dang!  So obvious that it clear evaded me.  Again I am grateful for that wide forehead that absorbs repeated blows from the flat of my hand.
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2015, 02:47:16 PM »

Wintertime Farkle-Fu in Dr_Jax's dojo....

thumb

lurk

Looking good, Jack!

Stovey

Metalcarver
Dirt Squirt

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2015, 03:10:33 PM »

Wintertime Farkle-Fu in Dr_Jax's dojo....

thumb

lurk

Looking good, Jack!

Stovey

Hm... or could it be a case of the dreaded  yikes Extramarital Farkelingus 
DR_Jax_650
Combat Wombat

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2015, 03:18:35 PM »

Hahahaha poser
 MetalCarver In 2001 I got a Motorcycle for my Wife.....Best trade EVER!!!! lol So when I say something like :
 Hey!, Ill be in the Stable Farkling around................. the only one who hears it is...........ME wings

Wintertime Farkle- Fu in Dr_Jax's dojo....

thumb

lurk

Looking good, Jack!

Stovey

Hm... or could it be a case of the dreaded  yikes Extramarital Farkelingus 

DR_Jax_650
Combat Wombat

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2015, 03:25:30 PM »

So I went to put the Spools for the Paddock stand on and guess what Roll Eyes  They will hit the bottom of the Muffler when the shock compresses on a bump....
Looks Like the SP-100 is going to get some exercise.. Going to have to modify the thing to lift from the bottom of the swing-arms..
OH well, I'm off to purchase a 36mm Axle nut wrench ....since the tool kit doesn't come with those items baldy

DR_Jax_650
Combat Wombat

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2015, 01:06:16 AM »

My seven month review
Friday marked 7 months of ownership of my 2014 DL1K VEE-2.. and here's my thoughts......
1] the seat is the most comfortable stock since the Vee-1! . I did put my Aerostitch Sheepskin on it because I find it allows my seating area to breath a little better and I have had no issues with Monkey Butt lol
2] the Givi crash bars have been utilized 1 time and it was due to putting the side stand down and not noticing the storm drain, or that  cover was slotted..
3] the Motorcycle averages 45mpg over the life of a tank  thumb been as high as 52, and as low as 38...( on the" Tail of the Dragon " ) ricky
4] I still hate the MUFFLER , this is not going to change tho... lol
5] for the price this is by far the best bang for the buck in Adventure touring motorcycles!! wings( Yeah, I know, you thought this should have been My #1      )   It really is My Number 1  clap

6] Ergo-dynamics are spot on for me . No risers, pull backs or peg movement needed..however I did put off road pegs from a KLR on it for better foot grip....@ 5'9 and 225lbs. I can flat foot the machine with my 31 " inseam....
My Longest day of riding was 8 hrs. & 575 miles, W/ no seat discomfort till hour 7 (  this was attributed to the choice of Skivvies I wore   eek   )

The VEE-2 has had 4 filter changes, & 3 Oil changes in the last 8,600+ miles and the bike runs flawlessly!
As with the Vee-1 I switched it over to 15-40 Rotella T-6 @ 3000 miles and it runs & Shifts smooth... I replaced the worn, But not worn out Rear Bridgestone Battlewing @ 5700 miles with a 705 Shinko and the Bridgestone has enough tread for 1000miles left on it ... Roll Eyes
Today I replaced the front Battlewing with 8574 miles on it and it was showing cupping and very even tread wear. It has enough tread for possibly 750 miles of easy road riding.....it will likely find a good home as I donated it to a local shop to give out to someone who needs a front tire that size..
I have rode the Super Slab, the Gravel, the Twisties of the north East and The Blue ridge mountains , as well as the two lanes of the Eastern states, and with out a doubt this Motorcycle is a hands down winner!!

Dualsport Chic
Super Rat

aka Dirty Girl

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2015, 09:33:31 PM »

clap

So happy for you Jack - now if you'd only point that dang thing South and come visit yours truly so we can  ricky

DC - IBA #65836

Carpe Diem

2008 Yamaha XT250
2005 BMW F650gs
2016 RX3 Cyclone
2009 SV650 Gladius
DR_Jax_650
Combat Wombat

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2015, 11:26:20 PM »

It's been 11 months and 8 months of riding the Vee2 ...I have some personal insights.
A) this bike is a beast. It has enough power to pull a freight car.
B) It has a great ride & the handling is precise and predictable
C) the sound of the motor is a point of some discussion on a couple of the forums...
I love the sound. I still hate the exhaust can...
D) It isnt for me to take on single track.. It also is Too heavy for me to manage in Loose sand of any kind of depth...
However Comma,
After the first 16K miles I believe the Vee2 will be my long term motorcycle....
The 2nd Generation of the V-Strom 1000 is a Great  "Adventure Motorcycle".. thumb

Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2015, 11:31:05 PM »

Nice summary of your Beak-strom DR_JAX!
I've read nothing but great things about the new Vstrom 1000. I hear the motor is a real gem, having tons of low-rpm torque.
Handling and suspension must be leaps ahead of the old Vstrom.
Modern bikes are ridiculously good these days!
Cheers!

www.RideDualSport.com
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2015, 05:43:11 AM »

Jack!

Long time and no comms... so good to hear from you, Good Sir!

Also glad to get the report about joy with the Vee - a bike so well suited to taking on the world travels and taking a beating while you're at it. Yours is in good hands, for sure. I hope you had a good riding season?

Stovey

DR_Jax_650
Combat Wombat

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2017, 07:58:24 PM »

Greeting's all , I apologize for disappearing and then just popping back up. I know I have been remiss in keeping up to date ...Sorry  Roll Eyes  And as I wind down the year of 2017, a year that was hectic, costly and full of unanticipated adventure... I took on more responsibilities at my job, have a few health pitfalls ( NO, nothing life threatening or altering ) and the trials & tribulations of being over 60 I guess lol... baldy
  I wanted to give a short update as to the contents of the " Stable "
I'm coming up on 3 years & 36000 miles on My DL1000A commonly referred to as VEE-2 .  
Sooo, For over 35 months now  I have ridden the V2 on nearly every surface ( except ICE & Slick rock, Volcanic magma flows, Lunar rover tracks   lol) imaginable, from slick mud, Snow, sugar sand, baby heads to 2 track alpine roads (?) and about the only complaint I have had was with the erratic throttle / stumble / hesitation and lag.  I tried to have it adjusted at the dealership but it only lasted till I shut it off and restarted the bike... ugh.... you can't even adjust the throttle idle speed without a computer link up from the dealer  I purchased the much touted G2 throttle tube and that made it snappier, but slow speed control was still erratic and there was a pronounced throttle lag....
Last month Suzuki informed me that the F,I. Control module was being replaced under recall ,  yikes    
I called to schedule the replacement and set up a appointment. On the scheduled day I geared up and rode the bike over to have the work done, dropped it off and then went to breakfast..
I returned 1.5 hrs. later and geared back up, I took the bike thru its paces and returned to the dealership with a grin that reached almost all the way around the back of my Haid!!
   the Service manager and the sales manager asked me what I thought?  I explained that the engine now responded to the throttle much the same way my 2005 VEE-1 always did.. and that after considerable internal conflict,  I will keep the VEE-2.   clap  ricky  clap

Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2017, 10:21:02 PM »

No apologies needed my good sir! I'm glad to hear you are doing well and racking up the miles on your VEE-2! I saw a VEE-2 on the road today as a matter of fact.
Nice to know Suzuki made good on the FI control module too!
Keep riding, and be well!
Cheers, Kosmic

www.RideDualSport.com
Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: