RideDualSport
Advanced search  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Is the 690E the right bike? I hope so!  (Read 2775 times)
portabill
Road Toad

Email
« on: December 19, 2014, 08:21:43 PM »

Question for Per and any other KTM 690 Enduro owner.

I'm really looking at the 690E as a replacement for my VStrom since I keep looking for dirt and getting frustrated.  I'm concerned because I don't find any high mileage bikes (50K+ miles), other than "RTW With Noah".  I don't mind doing maintenance, but I can't have a bike take over my life.  I have been spoiled by the lack of needed maintenance of the VStrom.  I've been reading a lot here, KTMTalk (.com and .co.uk) and ADVRider trying to get a feel for the bike.

The valve checks are fine and sound easy, but is there any idea how often the heads need rebuilding or the motor pulled apart for bearing replacement or whatnot?  

Seems like the 2007-2009 Dukes had a lot of fuel injection issues, did the Enduros suffer the same issues and when did they get resolved? 

I've seen a couple well set up 2008's and a 2010 that are close to my current price range.  Would they be solid or should I wait for the magic 2013+ to show up?

Sorry for the length.  I'm in Central California, if that matters.
KennTM
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 01:25:17 AM »

Ive got the 14 enduro r
Knockin on 1000 mi an first service and lovin every minute of it! Yes the seat is stiff, if you want the paw paw get the ol trusty klr. Otherwise everything about this bike is for me. I love it. ricky
DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 01:57:02 AM »

Portabill,
Great question dude, and a bit of a trade off. 

I think the 690 is well sorted, but long time owners can chime in about any weak points.  KTMs are a bit like Buells, and can be a little quirky, I am sure the model of KTM makes a big difference.  The 690 is based off the more road-oriented LC4 motor, if I recall. So its more rugged, larger oil capacity, smoother, ect.
However, compared to a VStrom, which is basically as 100 percent reliable, trouble free, and low maintenance, any KTM will need more.

- More frequent valve checks
- More oil changes
- Wheel bearings, head stock, and suspension linkage needing cleaning/lubing

And, parts will be less available if needed.  When my buddy toasted his KTM's rear sprocket on a trip, the local dealer did not have one in stock, even though its a common replacement part.

While a VStrom can go 100,000 miles without top end work, based on my XR650 I would think a 690 could need a top end rebuild every 30,000 miles.  My XR650R can likely go 20,000 before a top end rebuild, but its a race bike.  So, if you could get 30,000 out of a 690 top end that would be excellent.  Top end wear depends A LOT ON HOW YOU RIDE IT. I am gentle on my XR650R because I want it to last.  I check and change the oil frequently. 

I would estimate on a 690 you are looking much more frequent routine maintenance compared to a VStrom....but with good care, I am sure the 690 will be reliable. 
If you find out it has a weak spot, like fuel pump, or electical component, get one in advance so if it craps out you are prepared....because in demand parts can be back ordered and hard to find.

Hope that helps!

Christian
 2014 V Strom 650, 00 XR650R, 03 Beta ALP 200, 02 Buell S3T, 84 900 Ninja, 48 Chief
portabill
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 07:21:54 PM »

Great info!  I do expect there to be more maintenance, I just don't want it to be excessive.
Sasquatch
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 03:20:07 PM »

While not 690 specific, I have 26k miles on my 2001 640 LC4 Enduro.  With proper care, I see no reason that the 690 should not be  a 100k motor before anything major needs to be done inside.  Other than a couple of oil leaks, I have had zero issues with my 640.  I am 350# and ride mine hard in very challenging terrain.  It has never failed me, never failed to start and get me where I needed to go.  Parts pricing seems to be on par with anything else these days.  I crashed hard in Moab and bent a front brake rotor.  A local non KTM shop had one the next day for me.  I paid for the shipping, but the rotor price was on par for the aftermarket full floating "Braking" rotor and pads I bought.

Pay attention to the tips posted by the seasoned owners to sort any weak areas out and you will love the bike. 

Per W
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 08:13:54 PM »

You will love the bike. 2011 is the last year with the long suspension travel, 25 mm less on newer models. Maintenance intervals are prolonged from 7500 km to 10000 km on the newer models at the same time KTM squeeze a few more HP out of the same engine...

The KTM 690 Enduro R is a very popular bike in Sweden and none of my friends nor myself have had a major break down. Valve clearance stayed within the tolerance for 30000 km on my bike. Shims make it more difficult to adjust but on the other hand adjustments are rarely needed.

The only part of the engine I know being replaced outside normal maintenance is the rocker arms - easy and low cost surgery and nothing to worry about, but good to know and check when you open the head.

Many people in Sweden also changed shims in the front fork on models before and up to 2009 to make the forks a bit more soft.

The only reason not to bye a 690 is to try an EXC500 and loose another 30 kg and get suspension you only can dream about, but then your oil change schedule is down to 15 hours. In my view the KTM690 Enduro R is the best modern gravel bike you can ride - apart from real competition bikes like the EXC's. And you get more power than you need for most rides on the dirt and enough to outrun many more powerful bikes on winding tarmac roads. Unfortunately the 690 is the only bike that challenged the old king; XR650. We are all waiting for the other brands to answer the challenge from KTM.  smile

Good luck in your search!

« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 08:43:13 PM by Per W » Logged

KTM EXC 500 -13
KTM 690 Enduro -09
BMW 1200 GS -05
Husaberg FE 570 -10
portabill
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 07:39:00 PM »

I forgot I posted this question, thanks for the replies.  The answers on the maintenance realities are a huge help and relief.

If my VStrom had sold immediately when I put it on Craigslist in June, I probably would be on a 690 now because I would have to make it work.  Finances now are in the way. 

I got a chance to go to a KTM demo event in late June ( I still don't know if that was a good idea or not), and I had a chance to ride one.  I think it was poorly set up for me, so it wasn't a great experience, but it was very informational.  At 5' 9" / 29" inseam, it had to be comical watching me try to raise the kickstand with my foot; I almost couldn't reach it.  I'm glad I was at the back of the pack.  I'm used to only putting one foot down at stops, so that wasn't too much of a problem, but I tried to just keep moving slow so I didn't have to come to a full stop.  It is so much lighter than the VStrom, it felt squirrelly, so that is good.  I think it was sprung for a much heavier person because the suspension didn't settle much at all.  I've heard this can be fixed. 

The biggest shocker was the "thumper" aspect.  I'm sure I could feel every pulse of the engine when it fired.  I made sure I ran it up to 4000 RPM to see if it smoothed out, but it never did.  Being the first thumper I've ridden, I don't know if that was normal.  I'm sure I could get used to it.  With it having a "drive by wire" throttle, I was surprised by how tight the throttle spring was.  That would be a killer with me carpal-tunnel issues.  The demo was on a prescribed course with a leader and tail-gunner to watch, but the little bit of harder acceleration was fun.

Part of our vacation this last summer was a few days in Vienna, Austria.  Since KTM is built in Austria, I was hoping/planning to rent a 690 for a day to get a good trial.  Ironically, I couldn't find one to rent, but I could rent Harley's and GSA's all day long.  Go figure.

I'm still not in a position to do anything, so I'll keep pondering.  I'm leaning toward a second, smaller, true dual-sport bike, but that isn't a popular idea with my wife.

I still drool when I see a 690!
rider_marc
Road Toad

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 09:11:34 PM »

Did you purchase one?

Kawasaki Concours 1400 | 690 Enduro R | IBA member | AMA member
portabill
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 03:01:00 AM »

Did you purchase one?

No, and still have the VStrom. I would love to own one, but it's too expensive just to try out.  I'll probably keep the VStrom and get a real dual sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rider_marc
Road Toad

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 10:58:36 PM »

Nearly the same situation here--at least you were able to ride the 690. I know I cannot even get my tip-toes to the ground with showroom floor suspension settings. $12K for a thumper is a high-hurdle for sure. I am so on the fence about that expense making sense. I just don't see a bikes in between the KTM's and the 80's technology bikes from Japan and one that is close (WRR) is only 250cc.

I need to do something fairly quick.

Did you purchase one?

No, and still have the VStrom. I would love to own one, but it's too expensive just to try out.  I'll probably keep the VStrom and get a real dual sport.

Ricoyam
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 07:24:07 AM »

The 690 is about the best all-round bike you'll find. It doesn't do anything particularly well but it can do everything better than anything else. In the hands of a strong rider it can be a good dirt bike. At the same time it has the power and comfort level to be a good road bike.
Drawbacks are obvious. Too heavy for dedicated off road while tires and height will rule out winning the weekend cafe race. The upside is that it can do both and be very respectable in the process.
Height can be dealt with. Don't let that be the reason you don't buy one.

Rick "Rico" Yamane
Caretaker Chris Carter Collection
Motion Pro
rider_marc
Road Toad

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 01:08:11 PM »

Having had a KLX650C back in the 90's I suspected the 690 would fit between the two riding segments--but with better suspension and a few less pounds. Besides, it is pretty-cool looking. I used the http://cycle-ergo.com/ website to compare ergs with the 690 and my previous WR400F as the handlebar height above the seat appears low. Boy, was I surprised! The WR actually had lower handlebar height AND looking back at the seat height for the WR, I found it to be two inches higher than the 690. I made the WR work for with fiddling with suspension settings. I just hope the OEM springs of the 690 are acceptable for this 155lb dude.

BornAgain
Road Toad

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 02:16:57 PM »

Have you considered a DR650 I know it lags way behind KTM in suspension but so does the entry fee. KTM = $$$$$ Suzuki = $$. Lots of vertically challenged riders have lowered the suspension http://shortwayround.co.uk/suzuki/ and with the money you save from purchase price can go toward lots of upgrades and still come out ahead $$.
rider_marc
Road Toad

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 06:11:54 PM »

Going back more than a year or two is probably not going to work for me. I may be trying to scratch an itch that goes away later next year.

rider_marc
Road Toad

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2016, 02:36:59 AM »

Well, this week Wednesday a dealer called me and mentioned they had a '17 690 Enduro delivered. After four years of grappling and him-hawing about the cost of this bike, I said to myself, in a brief waking moment when I should have been sleeping, "just buy it." So, I did. I'll be camping at free campgrounds as much as possible for 2017 to off-set some of the cost.

So, if you are like how I was and only had a mental block about the cost, maybe you can just go with the 690 once and for all. If you don't like it, they have great resale value and quickness for nearly new examples. I am keeping that door open.

I've only ridden mine around the block at the dealer, so I am not the expert opinion. No regrets 24 hours after the purchase. 

Did you purchase one?

Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin

WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2016, 01:29:26 PM »

Rider_Marc, congratulations on your new KTM! It is a pricey motorcycle but everything I've heard about the 690 is that it is worth every penny!
The high quality suspension, motor and brakes are something to be experienced at least once in life!
I look forward to hearing more!  ricky ricky

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
rider_marc
Road Toad

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2016, 03:20:48 PM »

Thanks Kosmic.

I'll find a spot for some photos and comments here at RDS.

portabill
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2017, 09:00:58 PM »

As the OP, I thought I would close the loop.  I decided to keep the VStrom and added a KTM 450 EXC to the stable. Here it is on it's maiden voyage yesterday.

All I can say is WOW!

Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 12:02:13 AM »

....I'll see your "Wow!" and raise you 2 "WOOTS!" and a  ricky

Very nice....

(Awesome, actually....)

Rally on,

Stovey

Tn Traveler
Road Toad

Missionary at large

Email
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2017, 03:23:13 AM »

Nice choice, You won't regret it, love my xcw that I dualsported, 8k miles and no adjustments needed yet, when you don't race them maintanace is not that bad

To build and improve facilities so the TRUTH of Gods word can be shared with a lost, deceived, and dying world!
portabill
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 09:01:27 PM »

....I'll see your "Wow!" and raise you 2 "WOOTS!" and a  ricky

Very nice....

(Awesome, actually....)

Rally on,

Stovey

You may raise me 2 WOOTS, but it still doesn't beat the silly grin on my face Cheesy
portabill
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 09:04:25 PM »

Nice choice, You won't regret it, love my xcw that I dualsported, 8k miles and no adjustments needed yet, when you don't race them maintanace is not that bad

I read your trip report a couple times, it really helped with the decision
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2017, 12:21:20 AM »

17,000 on my XC-W and zero failures of any kind. Okay, a few wiring maintenance disconnections and re-solders. But, Not even 1 flat tire.

Not one flat tire since I bought it in 2010.

Never fixed even 1 flat tire.

2nd engine rebuild for maintenance, and you need to stay after valve adjustments, especially tight intakes. And running cush drive rear hub is a plus/MUST in my opinion. But these are awesome motorcycles.

You should remain well-grinned for a long time, Sir.

Rally on!

Stovey
ps - not 1 flat tire in over 17,000 miles.  (I have bad luck in other areas of life instead. Which is good, because I dislike flat tires anyways!)

DR_Jax_650
Combat Wombat

I'm Riding a Motorcycle to Alaska....Someday! ;)

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2017, 11:37:49 PM »

So i take it you're not even skilled in fixing a flat after that much time with out one?
you prolly ought to just go get a tube and pop a hole in it just for the training Sir... 

17,000 on my XC-W and zero failures of any kind. Okay, a few wiring maintenance disconnections and re-solders. But, Not even 1 flat tire.

Not one flat tire since I bought it in 2010.

Never fixed even 1 flat tire.

2nd engine rebuild for maintenance, and you need to stay after valve adjustments, especially tight intakes. And running cush drive rear hub is a plus/MUST in my opinion. But these are awesome motorcycles.

You should remain well-grinned for a long time, Sir.

Rally on!

Stovey
ps - not 1 flat tire in over 17,000 miles.  (I have bad luck in other areas of life instead. Which is good, because I dislike flat tires anyways!)

If they made a movie about my life ...I wouldn't be handsome or talented enough to play my part...Sigh
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 04:08:44 AM »

Jack,

You realize that after saying all this I will no doubt suffer the karmic konsikwences and have maybe 3 flats on the Yellowstone Rally over Memorial Day weekend?!     eek

Such as it is when one mouths off and thence temps fate as I have done.

And no, I have no skills, just as a generalization. But yes, I have changed my share of the other guys' tires.   yikes

Hope all is well in your AO my friend!     beer

Another couple of woots back to portabill... 

Rally on,

Stovey

portabill
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2017, 02:22:58 PM »

Ironically, I've never had any flats in my five years of riding either. However, I must have picked up a nail on the test ride, because I had a flat the next day. Glad that is out of my system for the next five years!
Jay547
Super Rat

Email
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2017, 11:10:37 PM »

Ironically, I've never had any flats in my five years of riding either. However, I must have picked up a nail on the test ride, because I had a flat the next day. Glad that is out of my system for the next five years!

Lucky. I seem to have become the king of flats lately.
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: