RideDualSport
Advanced search  
Linked Events
  • Big Bend Ranch B.U.T.T. TX: December 29, 2012 - December 31, 2012
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: 4th Annual Big Bend Ranch State Park Texas - B.U.T.T. Ride - Dec 29-31st.  (Read 47845 times)
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin

WWW Email
« on: April 15, 2012, 11:52:33 PM »

The 4th Annual Big Bend Ranch State Park B.U.T.T Ride, Dec. 29 - 31st. - Texas

This year's Big Ultimate Terlingua Tour (B.U.T.T.) will have door prizes provided by the generous folks at Lone Star BMW/Triumph!  ricky ricky  
RDS would like to extend a warm welcome to any Lone Star customers who would like to ride their Adventure bikes with us.
Recently, some portions of the park roads have been graded, for safety reasons, which makes the park a bit more accessible to 800cc bikes.
We ask that all rider's be a RideDualSport member (even your friends that are coming with you) and everyone respond in this thread.
We would like to see between 20 and 30 bikes participate in the ride.
Big Bend Ranch State Park (BBRSP) is open to licensed dual sport motorcycles and the Parks Department has been most welcoming and supportive of us.
You can make this an even bigger adventure by exploring the Terlingua area and Big Bend National Park if you have some extra days and interest.

When: Saturday Dec. 29th to Monday Dec 31st.  
Where: Big Bend Ranch State Park, Texas.
What:  Three days of self-guided exploration of BBRSP - GPS Tracks Provided.
Who:   Dual sport on street legal motorcycles (30 Rider Maximum).

Big Bend Ranch State Park website: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/big_bend_ranch/

BUNK HOUSE RESERVATIONS - RESERVE EARLY!!
Call (512) 389-8919 to make reservations and tell them you need a bunk in the Bunk House. Cost is $35 per night, plus the cost of meals you order.
Reserve a bunk for Sat, Sun, and Mon nights. (You can come down earlier if you want.....) The B.U.T.T. ride ends on Tuesday when folks head home.  
Order your breakfast and dinners when reserving your bunk.  You can order a sack lunch, but most folks bring snacks to eat while out riding.  For Tuesday, order breakfast only.  The bunk house sleeps 15 males one side, 15 females on the other side. Reservations are first-come first serve, and also open to the general public - so, to ensure you get a bunk RESERVE EARLY!!

CAMPING RESERVATIONS
Call (512) 389-8919 for camping at South Leyva campground.  Those camping at South Leyva can order meals in the bunk house if you want, or cook for yourself.  The campground is just a few minutes from the bunk house. The sites feature a picnic table, small shade shelter, fire ring and outhouse. No running water or electricity. But, water, hot showers, ice, and fire wood are available at the park headquarters. Small pop-up camper or tents allowed. Bring sturdy tent stakes! Be prepared for possibility of unpredictable weather that changes fast, including potential for gusting winds and cold temps.

Here are some things to know:
Weather in this part of Texas is variable and can change quickly. You can have 30 degree mornings warming up to 70 degrees days with sunny skies. Or, strong winds and colder weather can blow in....snow is rare, but always possible.  In general, weather has been excellent during B.U.T.T. rides, but you need to come prepared for all possibilities.  To warm up, we have a bonfire outside the bunk house.

We recommend you access the Park by driving to Presido, taking 170 E, then turn left on to Casa Peidra Road (169) into Sauceda, the park H.Q. where the bunk house is located.  This is about 30 miles of dirt road.  While Casa Peidra enters the park from the north out of Marfa, this route will add many hours driving to your time. Also, in Persidio you can buy any supplies, gas, food, and beer you want.

Most important ride only on designated roads open to vehicles, riding off-road or on hiking/mountain biking trails is prohibited. Obey all park rules, this is very important to ensure dual sport motorcycle continue to be allowed in the park.  Ride responsibly, the main graded gravel road can catch you out with several sharp, unexpected turns. Also:
1. Licensed dual sport motorcycles only.
2. Wear full protective gear, including knee guards and MX Boots (no construction / hiking boots).
3. DOT approved tires.
4. Bring extra fuel.
5. Slime both tires.
6. Bring tools, chain lube, inner tubes and a tire pump.
7. Roads will vary from wide smooth gravel to primitive 4-wheel drive.
8. Carry snacks for lunch on the trail. Sack lunches can be ordered to go as well.
9. If you venture out of the BBRSP to Terlingua or Big Bend National Park you will be gone all day.
10. Prepare for very cold weather, esp if camping with little shelter from winds.  
11. Quite pipes are appreciated.

Very helpful motorcycle shop in Alpine that has helped out DS riders with broken bike in BBRSP, highly recommended:Chapapote Cycle Service
Tar Rawls
432-295-0730 cell
432-358-4415 shop

Link to last years B.U.T.T. ride report: http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?topic=1688.0
South Leyva campsite.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 01:05:51 PM by DoctorXRR » Logged

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré  - 08 KLR 650 - 01 Buell S3 - 08 Buell SuperTT - 03 DRZ 400 - 60 Harley DuoGlide - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief
DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 12:24:32 AM »

Count me in!  I can't get enough of Big Bend Ranch State Park.  Plus, I had to miss last year's Big Ultimate Terlingua Tour aka, B.U.T.T. ride.  Will be coming with my wife and two kids.   ricky ricky ricky

Exciting that Lone Star BMW is co-sponsoring the ride too!  Like to see some of the new Triumph 800s and BMW 800s out there!  

Thanks for all your work to put this on each year!  Better order up a fresh stock of RDS Super-Plush Double Knit Expandable Fit Beanies too!

See you there!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 03:56:53 PM by KosmicKLR » Logged

Christian
 2014 V Strom 650, 00 XR650R, 03 Beta ALP 200, 02 Buell S3T, 84 900 Ninja, 48 Chief
ebbs15
Ace

T-9 Years and counting

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 08:58:35 AM »

Again... I'm in... just hope the snow keeps to itself... Work will not have much of a say this year, as it's my last year in Mississippi

I'll be riding the DRZ though

Adventure is all about lAtitude
Rsquared
Road Toad

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 07:16:31 PM »

I'm in...

990 Dakar... 450 EXC
E4x4Eric
Dirt Squirt

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 10:09:52 PM »

I should be ready by then I am game for now.

E4x4Eric
ffejtable
Road Toad

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 12:51:09 PM »

Had too much fun last year not to make it again this year!
Jbay
Road Toad

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 06:33:01 PM »

reservation made at S Levya
Jbay
Road Toad

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 11:38:59 PM »

Big Bend Ranch Snow Day

ebbs15
Ace

T-9 Years and counting

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 08:29:32 PM »

keep that shit away... I had enough snow riding... then again, as long as pavement isn't in the mix it'll be ok LOL

DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 11:11:30 AM »

We are in!  Have bunkhouse reservations for me, wife, and two kids.  We are arriving a day early.   ricky ricky ricky

Christian
 2014 V Strom 650, 00 XR650R, 03 Beta ALP 200, 02 Buell S3T, 84 900 Ninja, 48 Chief
ebbs15
Ace

T-9 Years and counting

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 03:29:11 PM »

I'm gonna camp... either in my Land Cuiser, or I'm hope'n to have an enclosed trailer and I'll build a bunk...

anyone selling a enclosed trailer? lol

ebbs15
Ace

T-9 Years and counting

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 09:56:18 AM »

Damn look'n through last year's report... I'm bummed I couldn't go.  the pics look like I missed out on an amazing bit of riding and folks.. ricky beer.

gonna have to bring my camera along... guess I gotta re-mount the Pellican Case on the back... don't wanna go down and distroy my DLSR yikes

jegarh
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 12:15:20 PM »

Looks like my attorney and I will be making it up for this year.  I hope my XT 250 can keep up.  We will know if we are camping or looking for space in the bunk house in the next few days.  We rode the BBNP this last Feb. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771853

We plan to trailer to the park from the Eagle Pass area and If anyone wants to tag along, we have plenty of room.

Intelligence is genetic, stupid is an acquired skill.
DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 01:45:32 PM »

Jegarh, thats great glad to have you guys up at BBRSP!  Your XT will do just fine, in fact its a perfect bike for BBRSP, the lighter the better.  Everyone on this ride is great about sticking together, no riders left behind.  People ride in informal groups of 4 or so riders, riding at pace that is comforatable for them. In fact, dual sport riding in BBRSP is very slow going!  It is nothing like the National Park.......its much more "class 2-3" roads very rough, loose and rocky.  Only the main gravel road into the park is graded and fairly smooth.  Only ride what your comfortable with, at your own pace. BBRSP offers something for almost everybody and its a beautiful place.  We cannot stress enough the importance of proper riding gear: MX-style boots (not street boots or construction boots), knee, elbow, shoulder padding (hard cup pads, not just foam), and of course helmet and googles.   

What is your buddy riding? 

Look forward to seeing you all there, and check up on the posting here for developments!

Christian

Christian
webnel
Dirt Squirt

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 05:38:50 PM »

Dun got me book'd at South Leyva.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 06:52:00 PM by DoctorXRR » Logged

Triple H: '08 CRF450x, '07 XR650L, '07 VFR 800   -  http://mnelson.smugmug.com
Rsquared
Road Toad

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 06:03:03 PM »

Bunk House reservations made. Now all I have to do is shop for some earplugs....  thumb

990 Dakar... 450 EXC
ebbs15
Ace

T-9 Years and counting

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 05:25:43 PM »

I'm all booked up... Night of the 26th through the night of the 31st.  I'll be leaving on the 1st probably around noon...ish..lol

anyone in Austin I can crash at for the night of the 25th and the 1st?  no big deal if not... just try'n to shorten the drive... 17hrs one way from my place... but I'll probably stay the night in Baton Rouge at my parents... so 15hrs... not too bad

camping is $8 a night they have 6 spots left. 1 of those is a group spot that can have up to 12 people... just FYI

432-358-4444 is the number to the park office where you'll pay a $3 daily useage fee upon arival.  they said to give them a call if you're arriving after 430pm... as that's when they close.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:31:26 PM by DoctorXRR » Logged

Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 10:06:06 PM »

Cool Ebbs! I am glad you will be there! I know it is a huge effort for you to come to BBRSP, and I look forward to meeting you.Thank you very much for getting a current status on the park accommodations!
Cheers, KosmicKLR
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:31:55 PM by DoctorXRR » Logged

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré  - 08 KLR 650 - 01 Buell S3 - 08 Buell SuperTT - 03 DRZ 400 - 60 Harley DuoGlide - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 12:33:24 PM »

...Will my well crashed Aerostich Combat Touring Boots be enough?  

I looked at your boots, and I think they will be adequate.  Full Motocross boots are best, but I think yours will do.

We prefer to not have anyone riding in construction boots, engineer boots, hiking boots or road riding boots.
The park staff had to extract one of our riders in construction boots, who dropped his KLR on his ankle and he was not able to ride for the rest of the weekend. Its a big effort and expense to ride there, plus extremely remote and very far from help.
Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:32:47 PM by DoctorXRR » Logged

www.RideDualSport.com
Infidel
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 09:33:01 PM »

I will make it this year and im looking forward to it. IVe got a better bike and one year of dual sporting under my belt now so im ready...I wish I HAD ridden the vintage XT500 last year but was a little unsure of it all. After riding in a few rides ive got a feel for it. I will be doing the Beyond Epic 5 ride in Arkansas, the Roll the Bones rally in October and this one mixed in with some serious exploring of dirt roads around Texas... ricky
ULYBRAD
Super Rat

ixlrider@gmail.com
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 08:58:39 AM »

Adam Sign and I are planning on being there.  I think Diana and I will go to a star party at the observatory a day or 2 early.  I think she will come this year to drag me around by my leash...I wish she didn't do that in public.  Brad

Let's go outside and RIDE
DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2012, 09:00:15 AM »

Adam Sign and I are planning on being there.  I think Diana and I will go to a star party at the observatory a day or 2 early.  I think she will come this year to drag me around by my leash...I wish she didn't do that in public.  Brad

Very cool Brad, looking forward to it! We have bunk house res for me, wife, and the two kids.....

Christian
DR_Jax_650
Combat Wombat

I'm Riding a Motorcycle to Alaska....Someday! ;)

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 08:38:24 PM »

I would really love to do this ride. ricky............ ..    But 50 hrs of driving to get there is too much for the DR and Me to take on in the Winter for a 3 night 3 day ride Roll Eyes
  I would  feel like this on arrival     &  

But, like My late father said to me when I bought my 1st Fiat 850 Spyder: "Just to let you know son....If it has T!t's or Tires, It will give you problems...None of which can't be cured by trading up.." [mjd '73]
tireman
Super Rat

austintireman.com

tireman tireman
WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2012, 01:38:15 PM »

"anyone in Austin I can crash at for the night of the 25th and the 1st?  no big deal if not... just try'n to shorten the drive... 17hrs one way from my place... but I'll probably stay the night in Baton Rouge at my parents... so 15hrs... not too bad"       

Ebbs I'm 20 miles  w of austin, you are wellcome to a bed and shower.
Those dates imply there may allso be beer consumed.

val

-One solution would be to invite her along, encourage her to ride and then push her to jump something way above her talent level. Nothing frees up your schedule like having your lady in ICU with multiple bone fractures.        Ping
Frostbit
Combat Wombat

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 12:48:55 AM »

Last year we set a new record for snow fall, over ten feet, and this morning the weather guy said that we have now set the record for the shortest summer. This all leads me to asking if "y'all" have room for a couple of Frostbitten fools that are anticipating a severe need for mid winter thaw in Big Bend?

I'm sure that there is some way to round up the wr250r from New Mexico and find a mountain bike for ML to entertain herself with... and defrost our BUTTs.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:50:28 AM by Frostbit » Logged

Tools for a successful midlife crysis:
Horsepower
Handlebars
Mud
and accessories from ironmandualsport.com
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 08:03:36 AM »

This all leads me to asking if "y'all" have room for a couple of Frostbitten fools that are anticipating a severe need for mid winter thaw in Big Bend?
I'm sure that there is some way to round up the wr250r from New Mexico and find a mountain bike for ML to entertain herself with... and defrost our BUTTs.
Absolutely! It would be awesome to have you both there! This year, Sahara and I are being a bit more brave and have decided to camp at South Leyva. Its a good idea to reserve your bunkhouse beds, or a camp spot as early as possible.
Let me know what I can do to help!
Cheers, KosmicKLR

www.RideDualSport.com
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 06:55:56 PM »

Adventures with Betty - awesome...

B.U.T.T. should be an excellent ride to look forward to - I'm envious, Frostbit!

Stovey

Frostbit
Combat Wombat

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 12:26:08 AM »

Sadly, Betty isn't ready for the long haul yet so we're having to think out of the quadrilateral parallelogram to pull this off.

Beds in the bunkhouse booked... (check)
Plane tickets to Tucson purchased... (check)
Pickup truck rented... (check)

We'll fly in on Christmas eve, drive up to Northwest New Mexico to pick up the WR, replace the tail light and turn signals on the WR, load it in the pickup and then make tracks to the little state of Texas... smile

Stovey, seeing as how you live a quick two day drive away from Big Bend, I can't imagine why you couldn't join this fine RDS event. I can hear "Stovey Storys" around the camp fire already so I guess that we'll see you there then...  beer  
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 12:29:59 AM by Frostbit » Logged

Tools for a successful midlife crysis:
Horsepower
Handlebars
Mud
and accessories from ironmandualsport.com
DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 09:12:23 AM »

Wow, Frostbit that is awesome that you all can make it down.  What an effort your making to come enjoy the Lonestar state! Having you both here for the very first BUTT was a treat! Little did we know we were all breaking ground in what has become an annual event for RDS.  We have built a great relationship with the Parks and Wildlife Dept here, and the new park administrator is on board with dual sport riding at BBRSP.  There is potential for some additional areas to be opened, but thats just a proposal.

All of you that came down for the first BUTT had a big, positive impact on getting dual sport riding to be a more recognized activity in our state parks.  Since then we have gotten high marks from park staff, something we want to continue.

Thanks for helping to break ground in Texas, and looking forward to seeing you again. 

Our house is your house here in Austin, and we are glad to help in anyway!

Christian
ebbs15
Ace

T-9 Years and counting

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 12:18:10 PM »

Frostbit~  Awesome you're gonna make it... especially with the WR naughty  I may have to bring some beer to get ya drunk enough to let me take her for a ride thumb

I still owe ya from Feb anyways!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »
  Print  

Jump to: