RideDualSport
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: My XR650R, or "All I want for Christmas is a bionic leg."  (Read 104541 times)
DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« on: March 30, 2012, 12:09:40 AM »

My 2000 XR650R, or “All I want for Christmas is a bionic leg.”

Time for me to get "pumped up" and grow a pair. Where's the bionic man, give me that leg! No E start for me!

Here is a review to get you started! http://www.mcnews.com.au/testing/hondaxr650test.htm

So, I’ve been debating my next dual sport for a long time. My DR650 is a great workhorse of a bike, and I’ve enjoyed the best adventures on it.  But, it’s a bit heavy, and has soggy suspension…..so I’ve been hankering for lighter weight, more punch and some long sexy legs.  After considering the WR250R, excellent dual sport bike, but maybe I would be underwhelmed by the 250 engine.  I went off on a Husaberg bender, but wayyyyy to exotic for me.  I settled on a KTM 690 Enduro and started scoping them out, thinking well in a year I can save a good-sized down payment. Well, used they are at $8,500 and new way too rich for my blood, that has to help support two kiddos.

Honda XR650R Road Test

Plenty of power, built by Honda to take on the Baja 1000.

Sports a water cooled 650 engine in a alloy frame, engine is counterbalance.

Rear swingarm mounts in engine casting.

So, I lurked around the interwebs, looking at XR650Rs.  I was very impressed at our first BUTT ride that two of the riders had excellent set ups, and were just rockin along, but also the bike was a bit intimidating for me.  On the internet, the problem was the bikes I saw had numerous owners, and with a bike going back to 2000, you could end up with a handful of problems and a thrashed bike.  So, along with kick start only, I wrote off the XR650R.  

Until……….I spied a CL add in north Austin, and it said all original, including the TIRES! Hummmm…..a 12 year old bike, a dirt bike, with barely used original tires? A good sign.  So, at the price, $2,500 it warranted a look.  A few phone calls later, and some strategic emails to KosmicKLR, my bro, I managed to pull it off.  Call the wife, ok, explain, hummm, $2,500 in cash now, beats $6,000 in a loan later.  Ok, you drop by the bank, I will stop at my bank.  Drop off the kid at home.  Beat it back to work for a meeting. Beat it out of the office to pick up KosmicKLR.

And, here to behold, yes nary a scratch, no dents, not even a tire iron touching the rim!  I figured with some farkeling I can enjoy a powerful, light dual sport, that will be a blast to ride.  It’s got Baja in its blood! Stovey can you forgive me its not orange???

All the nice original body work is getting the bubble wrap treatment! Thx to suggestion from KosmicKLR, with a bike this age, OEM body work would be very pricey and hard to find. So, up in the rafters with it, and I will get after market plastics.

First order of business is to strip the bike, grease and lube all the suspension, linkages, fresh oils and fluids, you can bet a wrench has never turned in anger on this bike!

The kick start is a down side, but it seems to fire up very nice.  In a pinch I can get a bionic leg, it might be worth it!
Keep posted on this thread, the farkeling will start as I embark on a voyage to convert this to a long distance mile munching, hill crunching, and bone jarring monster dual sport! I will rally on with my good old DR, as I start converting the XR.

OEM rear tire, no knobs shredded!  

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly!
ENGINE:
Engine Type 649cc liquid-cooled dry-sump single-cylinder four-stroke
Bore and Stroke 100.0mm x 82.6mm
Compression Ratio 10.0:1
Carburetion Keihin 40mm piston-valve
Ignition Solid-state CD with electronic advance

DRIVE TRAIN:
Transmission Five-speed
Final Drive #520 O-ring-sealed endless chain; 14T/48T
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION / BRAKES:
Front Suspension 46mm leading-axle Kayaba cartridge fork with compression- and rebound-damping adjustability; 11.2-inch travel
Rear Suspension Pro-Link Kayaba single-shock with spring-preload, compression- and rebound-damping adjustability; 12.1-inch travel
Front Brake Single 240mm disc with twin-piston caliper
Rear Brake Single 240mm disc with single-piston caliper
Front Tire 80/100-21
Rear Tire 110/100-18

DIMENSIONS:
Rake 27.8 degrees
Trail 111.0mm (4.3 inches)
Wheelbase 58.3 inches
Seat Height 36.8 inches
Ground Clearance 12.0 inches
Dry Weight 277.0 pounds
Fuel Capacity 2.6 gallons, including 0.5 gallon reserve

Stay tuned, RDS needed a XR650R thread!  
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 02:18:54 AM by DoctorXRR » Logged

Christian
 2014 V Strom 650, 00 XR650R, 03 Beta ALP 200, 02 Buell S3T, 84 900 Ninja, 48 Chief
Ahansen_1985
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 12:13:35 AM »

Very nice find! The xr650 is a awesome bike! I too used to have a suzuki.... I'm firm Honda now!!!!

Mines a 2006 that I picked up for 2500:) a month and a half ago... Had the 4 gal tank and skid plate already on it

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?e1appf
1966,351,m5od,205....3.5" lift, 2" body, 35's,
DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 12:23:17 AM »

Very nice find! The xr650 is a awesome bike! I too used to have a suzuki.... I'm firm Honda now!!!!

Mines a 2006 that I picked up for 2500:) a month and a half ago... Had the 4 gal tank and skid plate already on it

Very cool! Now that RDS has a tread for the bike, jump on in!  Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

Christian
 2014 V Strom 650, 00 XR650R, 03 Beta ALP 200, 02 Buell S3T, 84 900 Ninja, 48 Chief
Frostbit
Combat Wombat

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 01:05:57 AM »

Score...  thumb thumb thumb

Can't wait to hear about the shake down ride.  lurk

Tools for a successful midlife crysis:
Horsepower
Handlebars
Mud
and accessories from ironmandualsport.com
E4x4Eric
Dirt Squirt

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 06:20:16 AM »

clap nice find  thumb

E4x4Eric
Jocko
Road Toad

Switchback Slayer

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 08:58:02 AM »

Welcome to the Red Side!

Finding nice barely used bikes always makes me smile, as it should you also.

Keep us updated on the impending farlkization. I watched that video you posted and it would appear some additional fuel capacity would be necessary to get past the reviewers rather short offroad range.

Jocko,
Farkle and tweak, farkle and tweak my good man!
Stovey

2007 XR650L ~Acerbis 22l Tank~Dave's Mods~Rox Risers~Immix Racing Rack~Pelican Top Box~Eibach 12.0 Shock Spring~.55 Fork Springs via Procycle.US~Kenda K761 Tires~XR650R Counter Sprocket~Wunderlich Murse on the Bars~Amsoil Fluids~SeatConcepts.com Foam and Cover Kit~Pro Grip Rally 714 Grips~SW-Motech Sub-Frame Braces
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 09:47:23 AM »

Cool, your entering the world of "Plating an enduro bike"! I think it was a really good choice for the desert type riding we have in Texas.
From what I have read, the motor is a gem with a broad power-band that is happy plonking along at slow speed or ripping along a 85mph.
There is a well established after-market and many proven modifications to make the bike more suitable for Adventure rides. Plus, its a bike worthy of putting some extra bucks into the suspension, if you find it necessary. It will be an exciting transition from the DR650 to the XR650R!

Take your time to do cost effective mods and savor the experience of building the bike!  

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré  - 08 KLR 650 - 01 Buell S3 - 08 Buell SuperTT - 03 DRZ 400 - 60 Harley DuoGlide - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 03:55:25 PM »

DoctorDR,

Yes, all is forgiven - you have chosen wisely, Sensei....       thumb

My first "Legends of the Fall" was on a 2001 XR650R ("R" standing for "Roar" I believe!) and I was thrilled with it! I did put it through the best "Johnny Campbell Paces" I could muster, and it was a +90mph motorcycle across the Nevada BLM. It wasn't my bike, it was Keith's (950transalp,) and he had very graciously loaned it to me when the water pump on my 640A Pogo Punkin whistled beef on me right before the departure. I would like to have an XR650R of my very own, to be sure.

You will love the bike, I think. If you don't, shoot me a PM during a cocktail hour, and let it go North, to Idaho.....

Congrats!

Stovey

uneasy rider
Ace

RIDE THE ROAD LESS GRAVELED

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 09:10:07 PM »

I have one thats been sit'n in garage for a while now, the rod is locked on the crank but it was at a price I could'nt turn down, have hopes of turn'n it into a tard bike....someday.

The coolest look'n XR650R sumo bike I've laid eyes on was decked out in all white plastic with red decals, a sick beast indeed.

Congrats on your bike,great look'n machine.

Pavement Huh?  We dont need no steenking pavement !

http://drriders.com
MetalBender
Super Rat

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 01:42:01 PM »

I've heard good things about these bikes but have yet to see one that can out preform a fully loaded(tail and tank bags with air compressor, tubes, wrenches, water, rain gear, ect.) KLR while they run bare.  smile

Heavy bikes aren't so bad when you keep them upright.  ricky

The cost of living is very expensive yet it remains a popular choice.
webnel
Dirt Squirt

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 06:19:12 PM »

I love it! Welcome to the Honda club! Light n' tight enduro for sure.  Can't wait to see it decked out and ride with you.

Triple H: '08 CRF450x, '07 XR650L, '07 VFR 800   -  http://mnelson.smugmug.com
DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 07:36:16 PM »

I've heard good things about these bikes but have yet to see one that can out preform a fully loaded(tail and tank bags with air compressor, tubes, wrenches, water, rain gear, ect.) KLR while they run bare.  smile

Heavy bikes aren't so bad when you keep them upright.  ricky

MetalBender, Ive seen you slide that KLR around, and I dont think most would stand a chance! You ride that KLR like someone poured a bucket of hot coals in your britches!

Christian
DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 07:37:16 PM »

I love it! Welcome to the Honda club! Light n' tight enduro for sure.  Can't wait to see it decked out and ride with you.

Thanks dude!  Im digging into it, lubing cables, suspension, bleeding brakes....all the usual! 

Christian
mudclod
Combat Wombat

Killeen, Texas

Email
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 07:49:06 PM »

What? You gotta be kiddin' me man! I'm sooo jealous!

'74 TY250  '89 GB500 '06 DRZ400 '03 KDX220  '06 FLH   '08 DL1000
HappyMan
Combat Wombat

Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid.

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 09:16:24 PM »

My heart bleeds for a big red Honda Thumper.  What an awesome bike!!!

Life is Short....Ride Long - Pavement is Optional
I'm a happy, happy, happy man

You're not just saying that because you're taped to a toilet are you?

"..argument juice from the argument lobe of the female brain..same technology is used in modern fighter planes.".

06 Suzuki DR650
DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 09:20:35 PM »

Started my first work on the XR650R, just cracking it open a bit and doing the usual prep work.  First off, the OEM filter is toast, so first thing to order is replacement:

I've learned that these air boxes are a bit different, the side cover fits over top of filter, and seals the air box, which is behind the filter. So the side cover cant come loose, and has to seal good.  Any holes in the air box would introduce dirt directly to the intake of the motor. While one mod is to cut holes in the side cover, and put a mesh screen for better flow, trade off is filter gets more dirty. So, I am leaving it as is, just ordering a new filter.

Taking this bike a part is a breeze, and its amazing how precise all the alloy parts are.  Hollow rear axel, machined blocks for the chain tension, and even alloy wheel spacers!  I am being very careful with my work and tools, because many of the fasters are stuck on hard, never been removed.  Have to make sure not to damage any of the parts, which are pretty light, and precision fit.

Glad to see that the rear axel had grease at least.  The bearings were nice and solid, no play and tight.

Sweet alloy rear wheel spacers;

I pulled off the rear caliper, plenty of meat on the original brake pads.  The caliper slides on to a small locater tab on the swing arm. Also, the brake fluid was brown, so I bled the brake, a breeze.

Next I came up on the rear suspension linkage.  The big "knuckle" was easy to take out, but the bolts were way over tightened, needed a firm push with a foot to break them loose.  None of the through bolts had grease.  The bearings that the dog bones attach to I could not pull out. The side stand has a steel bracket that bolts to the frame, and this bracket interferes with the linkage bolt. While I tried to remove the bracket, it has round-head allens, and I could feel the big one start to round as I tried to loosen it. So, nope, thats a job for some heat, penetrating oil, and an impact driver!  

Was able to grease the needle bearings inside.  

So, I got the rear wheel back in with fresh grease, did some of the linkage bearings, cleaned the chain, bled the brake, and also lubed some of the control cables.  Made a lot of progress!

The oil in the bike still looks very good, so I wont change that just yet.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 02:20:27 AM by DoctorXRR » Logged

Christian
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 09:28:09 PM »

Good job being patient when removing the nuts and bolts that have been on since the bike was new.
Threads tend to get corroded over time so I use a propane torch and WD40. If you need a breaker bar and torque wrench let me know.
For bolts that are really stuck I find that rather than applying a constant pressure to the wrench, a quick hard blow with a soft hammer to the end of the wrench or breaker bar will break it loose.
There is great satisfaction in preparing a bike well and making it the best it can be!

Cool!  
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 09:37:29 PM by KosmicKLR » Logged

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré  - 08 KLR 650 - 01 Buell S3 - 08 Buell SuperTT - 03 DRZ 400 - 60 Harley DuoGlide - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief
ULYBRAD
Super Rat

ixlrider@gmail.com
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 09:37:39 PM »

I love the big red honda thumper.  I was looking for one when I stumbled on the KTM.  Don't missunderstand I will not trade the KTM... but I might ALSO own the big honda.  Brad

Let's go outside and RIDE
HappyMan
Combat Wombat

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 10:02:13 PM »

Nice work Christian!  

"..argument juice from the argument lobe of the female brain..same technology is used in modern fighter planes.".

06 Suzuki DR650
Ironman
Dirt Squirt

WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 02:22:25 PM »

Great Bike, I had a BRP from 2002 to 2004 and put about 15,000 hard miles on it. There pretty much bulletproof and if you keep the valves adjusted they'll usually start with one heroic kick once you get used to it. Defiantly one of the best bikes for serious Dual Sport ever made. I look forward to seeing some ride reports.

Vstromcharlie
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 03:28:40 PM »

Back in the day my brother had one of those.  What a bike it was.  I'm guessing you're gonna like it!  Nice find.
uneasy rider
Ace

RIDE THE ROAD LESS GRAVELED

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 09:52:58 PM »

This kind of stuff is what makes T.V. boring  lurk, cant wait until the next exciting episode.

Pavement Huh?  We dont need no steenking pavement !

http://drriders.com
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 12:18:47 AM »

Mouse McCoy's Baja 1000 XR650R

www.RideDualSport.com
HappyMan
Combat Wombat

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 12:23:39 AM »

thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb

ricky Man I'd love to take that bike for a spin! 

06 Suzuki DR650
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 12:24:47 AM »

...and Gentlemen, that dog will hunt!

Gimme.

Stovey

HappyMan
Combat Wombat

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 12:28:31 AM »

...and Gentlemen, that dog will hunt!

Gimme.

Stovey

Are you quoting Band of Brothers?  I love that line, one of the funniest scenes in the show.  If not, you should go watch it!

06 Suzuki DR650
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 12:49:49 AM »

Hiya Happyman,

Naw, but I did enjoy Band of Brothers - even though I've never done the entire thing, start to finish. Something to look forward to though! I just like this motorcycle and would love to have one of my own someday!

I got to ride 950transalp's on the LOF1. Here we is on the California Trail North of Wells on the way back to Snowville, Utah

Stovey
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:32:07 AM by Stovebolt » Logged

DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 08:12:07 AM »

Stovey, very cool that you got some seat time on the BRP!  Im stoked about this project, and having a much more dirt-capable bike for places like BBRSP,,,,,,Tho I give the bike a lot of respect because its capabilities are so far above my dirt skills!  I have to up my own game.....

Christian
Hodakaguyadv
Dirt Squirt

Email
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 09:14:22 AM »

You'll love the BRP, it's a great bike!  Since your's is a 2000 you'll want to open up the clutch side and replace the clutch basket bushing with the updated Honda part, the early ones were lacking some oil holes and can/will seize on the shaft....it gets expensive after that happens.   (I have a new updated bushing I'll send ya that I didn't use if you want it  thumb).  The forks will also have the famous Wale Snot in them...flush them good and re-fill with a quality fork fluid, they will work a lot better after that.  

I purchased mine bone stock and on the original tires as well, then through a bunch of $$ at it lol.  I built it up to do long distance NV desert rides then got a wild hair and sold it a couple weeks before our first trip and bought the KTM  ricky.  Bang for the buck nothing can touch the BRP!  On a side note the guy I sold it to just put it back up on CL again and my buddy bought it so now it's back in our riding group, the guy I sold it to only put 200 miles on it so it's still just like new!  

If you haven't checked it out yet here's the XR650R forum:  http://www.xr650rforum.com/

Here's a link to my custom turn signals on the XRR:  http://www.xr650rforum.com/t201-cycra-guards-modified-with-led-turn-signals-how-to

When your wiring your dual sport kit up consider using these RC connectors:  http://www.xr650rforum.com/t200-better-electrical-connectors

And a couple pics of my setup. BRP Sub Mount, Scott's Damper, Pro-Taper Windham Bend, Cycra Guards (custom turn signals), Utah Skid Plate, XR's Only Case Saver, Baja Designs Kit, Edge2 Tailight, XR's Only Chain Guide, Edelbrock Pumper Carb, Idle Knob Holder, Trailtech 8" halogen Light, KTM Radiator Fan, Accerbis Tank, Tanker Brace for Accerbis, CV4 Hoses, Highway Dirt Bikes switch assy, Clutch Cover Guard, Uncorked, Unibiker Rad Guards, 200W Ricky Stator

Shortly after bringing her home..

Desert Tank, Headlight ect installed...

Tanker Brace installed on the Accerbis

Test Fitting the GL Luggage

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:20:48 AM by Hodakaguyadv » Logged
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 10:40:18 AM »

Lot of good info here too:
http://www.xr650r.us/xr650r_faq/#2a

www.RideDualSport.com
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »
  Print  

Jump to: