RideDualSport
Advanced search  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Urban Guerrilla Bicycle Camping: Off topic, sort of.  (Read 131583 times)
rlcanon
Super Rat

990 Adventure Arrrr!

Email
« Reply #210 on: August 29, 2015, 10:21:43 PM »

Green heron with a lizard it caught on the bank.

Blue heron.

A duck of some sort.
BornAgain
Road Toad

« Reply #211 on: August 30, 2015, 11:25:49 AM »

Wood Duck hen.
rlcanon
Super Rat

990 Adventure Arrrr!

Email
« Reply #212 on: September 01, 2015, 12:17:30 AM »

Ran into a chert knapper we've met in the woods a few times who said that he got searched for contraband and ticketed for collecting rocks a few weeks ago. When he walked out of the woods to go to his vehicle there were 5 or so officers waiting, a couple with long guns. Ostensibly they were after meth head artifact thieves that have been digging and looting specific sites, but they seemed more than happy to make an example out of this guy while they were at it.  Not sure how that bodes for urban dual sport or guerrilla bicycle camping going forward. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess not well... 
rlcanon
Super Rat

990 Adventure Arrrr!

Email
« Reply #213 on: September 04, 2015, 05:22:48 AM »

Lately I've more active on Instagram: urbanewoodrat.

Thursday night sling shot and gin tasting! The green flare is the laser strapped to that little tree on the right reflecting off the target.

Night video; I can never embed video.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCQHsq1sJCY&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCQHsq1sJCY&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 11:45:01 PM by Kosmic » Logged
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin

WWW Email
« Reply #214 on: September 04, 2015, 11:51:33 PM »

There is something quite soothing about watching your video! I think we all have an woodrat in us.
What kind of ammo are you using?

PS: to embed youTube, copy the url from your browser address bar, rather than using the youTube "embed link" they provide.
And remove the "s" from the https after pasting it into your posting.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 12:07:37 AM by Kosmic » Logged

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
Voltar
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

"I am the liquor."

« Reply #215 on: September 05, 2015, 08:33:28 PM »

rlcanon:
Is this a light meter?

Jr. Asst. Road Captain

My projects and stuff:
www.whiskeytangohotel.com
rlcanon
Super Rat

990 Adventure Arrrr!

Email
« Reply #216 on: September 06, 2015, 02:48:35 AM »

There is something quite soothing about watching your video! What kind of ammo are you using?

I'm shooting 3/8 steel ball bearings.  Cheap by 5.56 standards, but still sort of silly to shoot total-loss across the creek. Shooting slingshot is as meditative as Zen archery, but without the horse!

I think we all have a woodrat in us.

Are we doing "phrasing"?

rlcanon:
Is this a light meter?

Fugoo USB speaker
Voltar
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

"I am the liquor."

« Reply #217 on: September 06, 2015, 09:28:13 PM »

Fugoo USB speaker

Yes, of course.  The staple of all experienced woodsmen.   naughty

Jr. Asst. Road Captain

My projects and stuff:
rlcanon
Super Rat

990 Adventure Arrrr!

Email
« Reply #218 on: September 23, 2015, 02:28:13 PM »

Slingshot v4.3 may look like any other inartfully bent piece of aluminum wire stock but there's some subtly sophisticated stuff going on there!  It's working so well I'm doing the next one in titanium.  It's sitting on my favorite target, a piece of aluminum tread plate.  The treads are getting lost under the onslaught of steel.

I finally feel as viscerally accurate with the slingshot as I was with the now-kicked-to-the-curb wristrocket.  
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzgqzu706xo&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzgqzu706xo&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 02:32:18 PM by rlcanon » Logged
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #219 on: September 24, 2015, 08:58:21 PM »

Wow, your the Jackson Pollack of target practice!
Very cool slingshot too!

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
Voltar
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

"I am the liquor."

« Reply #220 on: September 25, 2015, 01:24:46 PM »

If slingshots were cornflakes; you'd be General Mills.    yikes

BTW, wouldn't hard candy like fireballs, jawbreakers, etc. be cheaper and biodegradable for target practice purposes? (also tasty)

Very cool slingshot too!

Jr. Asst. Road Captain

My projects and stuff:
rlcanon
Super Rat

990 Adventure Arrrr!

Email
« Reply #221 on: October 05, 2015, 03:35:51 PM »

Very cool slingshot too!

Funny you say that. I got so attached to the slowly evolving surface texture, it's now hanging on the living room wall as sort on an ongoing collaborative art project.

wouldn't hard candy like fireballs, jawbreakers, etc. be cheaper and biodegradable for target practice purposes? (also tasty)

Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants! Sorry for that, and the "phrasing" earlier in this thread; I'm watching way too much Archer!  Marbles are the usual inexpensive alternative, but they feel too light to me when shooting them.  Lead is the go-to for speed and power, but not exactly environmentally friendly. The 3/8" bearings seem to hit some sort of sweet spot on the expense\effectiveness\enviro-impact Venn diagram.  And they beat an interesting pattern into aluminum!
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #222 on: October 13, 2015, 02:44:40 AM »

RL,

You know, I appreciate this video - there is MUCH to appreciate here...   

And as you DO know, practice does not make perfect.

"Perfect Practice Makes Perfect."

You have clearly practiced perfectly.

I yield to the Master.

Ouiss, Sensei.   

(My weekend was spent, in part, doing battle with a wildland creature. My tool was an Umarex M4 SMG in .177 with 6-round burst. It was full-on indoor CQB at the cabin, and I finally prevailed, but not until after wounding the creature and running him down on foot. He went for cover underneath the couch - a bad move - but he was mortally wounded and doing the best that he could. He had only just pounded my wife nearly to submission upstairs just before I heard him coming, and when his feet hit the stairs on the threshold and headed down toward me, I vowed to do battle in earnest. It took what seemed like an eternity with tachypsychia enveloping my pulse-quickened tunnel vision, but moments later, his lifeless body lay at my feet. One of two squirrels slain at the Lucky Dog this past weekend. And I swear, it was either him or me.)

Your skills here were sorely missed.

All the best, Good Sir.

Stovey

Slingshot v4.3 may look like any other inartfully bent piece of aluminum wire stock but there's some subtly sophisticated stuff going on there!  It's working so well I'm doing the next one in titanium.  It's sitting on my favorite target, a piece of aluminum tread plate.  The treads are getting lost under the onslaught of steel.

I finally feel as viscerally accurate with the slingshot as I was with the now-kicked-to-the-curb wristrocket.  
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzgqzu706xo&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzgqzu706xo&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

rlcanon
Super Rat

990 Adventure Arrrr!

Email
« Reply #223 on: October 18, 2015, 05:12:02 PM »

You have clearly practiced perfectly.

If hanging in the woods with my partner-in-crime, having a light lunch, sipping a tall effervescent Gin drink, and compulsively slinging steel counts, then yes. Come to think of it, that -does-sound pretty perfect!

Speaking of siting in the woods with the wife: You know the thing about trees falling making a sound? Well, we can attest to the fact that they're loud as hell if you're right there.  The other day we were just settling into our chairs and thinking about lunch when the stillness was shattered by a large limb breaking over our heads. We both clawed and scrambled out of our camp chairs and made it about 6 feet before the huge limb crashed down a few feet behind our chairs.  

Back in the day a friend told me a story about his parents getting mugged. In the heat of the moment the husband blurted out something to the effect of "Do what you will with her, just don't hurt me!"  Seems that had a chilling effect on their relationship going forward.

While we were sitting there in the dirt, alternately looking at each other and back at our chairs, dealing with the adrenaline dump of the near-death limb drop, it struck me that while neither of us paused to offer the other a hand as we were clawing our way out of our chairs, nobody got used for traction either!

(My weekend was spent, in part, doing battle with a wildland creature.) Your skills here were sorely missed.

Ha ha! Exciting story -and- an invitation to shoot slingshot indoors. With live targets!  Reminds me of the Great Garage Mouse Murders of '03 when a gang of mice attempted to infest the garage queen.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 03:02:18 PM by rlcanon » Logged
rlcanon
Super Rat

990 Adventure Arrrr!

Email
« Reply #224 on: January 06, 2016, 04:11:41 PM »

It's been a little over two years since I retired and started hanging in the urban woods.  Sitting in the woods for hours every day has given me lots of time to think. About lots of things.  At my age, having peaked as a viable biological organism, it's natural to think about all the little, and large, regrets that accumulate over a lifetime.  Things I should have done, others I wish i hadn't; an exhaustive unflinching account of my meager accomplishments and many failures, all in the context of relentless senescence and impending doom.

And, after all that cogitation, I've come to some appropriately profound conclusions.

First and foremost: As badly as they under-delivered on the 1950s promise of a flying car, they really came through on the personal communicator. I was as stoked about Star Trek's stupid flip phone as I was about Dick Tracy's wrist radio, but my smart phone has GPS, live weather radar, messaging, the interwebs (or is "pron" synonymous and shorter to write?), and an infinite number of useless apps. (As an aside, when I think about a Google car/synchronized squadron of flying drones mash-up, can flying cars be that far behind?)

Second: Where -has- the 29x3 bicycle tire standard been my whole life?  As an inveterate brush-busting guerrilla-camping woodrat, the 29+ is the perfect compromise between flotation, roll-over, and efficiency.

And third: It's clear that the Turkey Vulture is my spirit animal.  Get up when the sun hits your roost, when you're ready make a hill country run with members of your kettle (flock of vultures) to get a big venison meal, soar around with your buddies digesting your food, later in the day maybe sit in a bare tree with a few close vulture friends, preening and enjoying each other's company, maybe soar some more or skim the tree tops along the creek before meeting the rest of the kettle back at the roost in the evening.

Still into the slingshot,  but now using a 3" target at 33' with an evolving backstop with bearing retention in the high 90s and fits in a can under the down tube.

A newish obsession is flashlights that run on the 18650 battery.  Light, compact, ~1000 lumens for ~1:45min, swappable batteries.  L to R: ThruNite TN-12-2016, Jetlites FU-2, Malkoff Devices Hound Dog 18650, Maelstrom Regen MMR-X

With all the flashlights around, we've been doing more night rides.  

We talked a couple of friends into a night ride on a particularly warm evening and all had fun.  A string of Eno hammock lights along with a full moon provided perfect light.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 04:20:18 PM by rlcanon » Logged
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #225 on: January 06, 2016, 11:19:38 PM »

“Over the last couple of years, the photos of me when I was a kid... well, they've started to give me a little pang or something - not unhappiness, exactly, but some kind of quiet, deep regret... I keep wanting to apologize to the little guy: "I'm sorry, I've let you down. I was the person who was supposed to look after you, but I blew it: I made wrong decisions at bad times, and I turned you into me.”
― Nick Hornby, High Fidelity

www.RideDualSport.com
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #226 on: January 07, 2016, 01:17:39 AM »

rl,

Your post is as profound as it is eloquently prosaic - as per your usual. Well said, Good Sir.    thumb

And I confess to having succumbed to the new 18650 batt light syndrome too, albeit only x1 with a Chicom 3-led headlamp unit that is uber bright and twice as cheap. All hail the 18650 revolution...

...as well as profound introspective reminiscences to start the New Year.

Salute!

Rallying on in snow country,

Stovey

rlcanon
Super Rat

990 Adventure Arrrr!

Email
« Reply #227 on: January 29, 2016, 10:01:22 PM »

OK, this clinches it. My spirit animal is definitely the Turkey Vulture (a buzzard is a British hawk sort of thing).

Lately we've run into a few folks that are marginally homeless by choice.  They "house up" and/or work periodically, have smart phones and a social media presence, a sense of community, and function well socially.  The latest guy was a bicycle mechanic from Colorado that, as a vacation, drove down to stay in a hobo camp in Area51 for a week and explore the east side from McKinney Falls up along the walnut creek watershed on his bicycle.
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #228 on: January 31, 2016, 12:49:57 AM »

That is some pretty awesome graffiti! Urban Art for sure!

www.RideDualSport.com
rlcanon
Super Rat

990 Adventure Arrrr!

Email
« Reply #229 on: September 07, 2017, 08:16:52 PM »

I'm back in the woods!  My dog died last year and I turned 60 this year, both of which I take extremely personally.  Still, all things considered, what a time to be alive!  Seriously, we hit the sweet spot.  A few hundred years back and the most powerful human on the planet would never ride a wheelie, power slide a sweeper, or access modern dental care.  And just go from there.  Keep the "good old days", I'll take modernity! While it lasts, anyway.  Which brings us back to: What a time to be alive!  Seriously, we hit the sweet spot. lol

Sophia's currently "advancing [her] career" and getting "some estrogen in [her] life".  (It's almost like 5 years of sitting in the brush with an old Okie was enough for her.  Ha ha!)  She figured I needed a buddy for the woods so that's Bijoux hijacking my chair, there.  The ECR is fully fettled, a British, I think, expression for having all the kinks worked out.  The porteur rack has been cut up to move the deck down and back.  Bikepackers on the forums inspired exploring rear dropout gear attachment points.  No digging to the bottom of a bag when it's all hanging off the bike.  Where have ski straps been my whole life?

So, basically, the ECR's the Millenium Falcon, I'm an increasingly senescent Han Solo and this is my nano Wookie.  She makes similar noises when she senses something hinky deep in the brush.  I'm thinking if she had some bandoleers of .380 hollow point it would complete the effect.  And be useful in a protracted gun fight!

Mom observed, with full approval and maybe a hint of pride, that I've basically reverted to my 11-year-old self: Hanging out in the river bottom with the dog. She was there, but at the very least my bicycle and cutlery selections have improved immensely.

Got a game camera this summer.  Animal action in the urban woods!  It's been fun looking for likely locations to candidly catch some critters.  Can't help the fleeting feeling that I'm being rude, intruding on a private moment.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HDaq72M6Gg&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HDaq72M6Gg&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttAQ8Y_nE5c&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttAQ8Y_nE5c&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 08:26:17 PM by rlcanon » Logged
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #230 on: September 08, 2017, 01:37:31 AM »

rlcannon, good to have you back! You have performed CPR on RDS! It is nice to get a feel for how interesting 60 can be. I've got five years to get my act together!
 beer

www.RideDualSport.com
Voltar
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

"I am the liquor."

« Reply #231 on: September 08, 2017, 03:21:35 PM »

lurk lurk lurk lurk

Jr. Asst. Road Captain

My projects and stuff:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: