RideDualSport
Advanced search  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: The 2nd Annual Legends of the Fall Trans-Nevada Whore House Hare & Hound  (Read 51427 times)
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2010, 04:51:40 PM »

Uneasy,

All jokes aside, it was just a ride. An "or what" if you will....     ;-)   

I posted a thread on it in "Upcoming Ride Announcements" here a while back, and gave forum members about 10 minutes notice to get their act together and head out the door......    (my bad)

Here's the post:
http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?topic=1327.0

It wasn't like the SCORE Tecate Baja 1000 or a Terrible 200 or anything like that. It was just another ride for Stovebolt. Was it like a hare scramble? I would imagine it would share similar elements, because I can only imagine - never raced a hare scramble. Only this ride went for days and days, and we weren't on the clock; there was no banging bars or trading paint or fighting the dust of maniac competitors to contend with. So in the major strokes of things - "No" it couldn't have been much like any kind of organized competition. (But I'm sure it wouldn't hurt a guy to be able to do this kind of riding at a faster pace, and enjoy it, as part of an experience base for hard things to do on a motorcycle.) My only racing was motocross for a couple years when I was a kid. And this was a good ride for me because I was prepared for it on the fronts that counted. Next year will likely be a whole other animal.

Thanks for reading the posts and for the kind comments. Would love to meet other riders who like this sort of ride or gnarlier, to do other things in the future. Nevada is one pretty damned cool place to ride and have adventures.

Seizure later!

Stovey
*********************************************************************************

WOW, they should've been lined up out the door for a ride like that.

All jokes aside is it a hare scramble or what, I would love to do some ridin in N.V., even more so the western part of the state.

Coolhand
Combat Wombat

Living large, one weekend at a time ;)

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2010, 03:15:46 AM »

Absolutely farkin great.

Plan B was cannibalism.

Says it all.

Stovey, as one man, recently converted to all things orange and of 450 cc flavor, how often are you doing oil changes "a la rode" while on these dusty rides?

Relocated to the boonies. Working on an Adventure Bike destination plan.
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2010, 03:38:31 AM »

Hi Justin,

I change the oil every 400 - 500 miles, period. I did two changes on this ride (it's in the thread!) and the ride was 1270 miles. So I hit my nail pretty much on top the the head with that.

You can get PCRacing stainless oil filters for these bikes, but I used paper elements on the long rides and just burned them with my oil. I use the stainless filters at home when I can easily access parts cleaner and compressor to blow it out and replace it during an oil change in my shop. I'd rather not service a stainless oil filter on the long rides. I do clean my screen filters and drain magnet though.

Air filters - start with clean/oiled and a filterskin. Carry a cleaned/oiled 2nd filter and another prepped filterskin. I led the entire ride, so the mileage on these filters was cock-eyed. I changed the skin midway through and returned home with that skin in good shape, and the original filter still fairly nice. I never installed the 2nd filter - it remained in reserve the whole ride. That first filter looked like it would have looked after about 2/3 day through Baja running mid-pack with a gang of 4-6 riders. (In Baja I brought same setup for my 640A, with additional filterskin, and also a small compliment of NoToil cleaner, oil and rim grease - just enough to wash everything I had one time.) That worked out perfectly for 10 days down there where I wasn't running in the lead and was sucking dust the whole time.)

Welcome to club Orange!

Stovey
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 03:45:40 AM by Stovebolt » Logged

Coolhand
Combat Wombat

Living large, one weekend at a time ;)

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2010, 05:14:59 AM »

Thanks dude. Loved the RR.

Relocated to the boonies. Working on an Adventure Bike destination plan.
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2010, 02:40:22 AM »

Right on Justin,

Like to ride with you sometime. Glad you went along for the ride report though! thanks.....

Stovey

Sgt_Chill
Road Toad

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2010, 03:49:48 AM »

Amazing Stovebolt.  Love the story and it was a great read too.  lurk  I could actually imagine some of those places in my mind as if I were
there.  Those outings are something I want to get involved in soon.  I've been off-roading in some form or fashion (Jeep, ATV, feet) for years, and the two-wheel bug hit me hard.  Hope to catch some rides this coming year. 

Thanks for the great ride report.

SGT Chill

- 2000 DR650SE (stock for now)
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2010, 05:11:31 AM »

Sgt_Chill,

A sturdy nod back atcha my friend. Glad you are on the forums here, it's a good place. "This coming year" is coming up pretty fast - I don't even know where the last one went. So, I'm with ya on hoping to catch some rides during this fast-approaching annum.

The good things about ride reports are making the rides happen, so let's all get out there and get it done - as often as we can to the best of our abilities, and rise to all the challenges we happen to face. We'll be better riders and better people for it.

Happy New Year over there in Kansas by the way!

Sincerely,

Stovebolt

Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2011, 07:57:21 PM »

We'll try it again this Fall, and see what kind of legends can be made once more!

Here's the ride announcement.....

http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?topic=2277

Thanks for all!

Rally On,

Stovey

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: