RideDualSport
Advanced search  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Father/Son trip 2010 or "Brad n Dad Ride the Southwest"  (Read 3632 times)
Vstromcharlie
« on: June 01, 2010, 02:39:18 PM »

We we started this adventure with every intention of going to Copper Canyon, Chihuahua, MX.  However that was not to be with the political climate the way it is.  The night before we were to cross into Ojinaga from Presidio there were two kidnappings.  As they say "discretion is the better part of valour" so I opted not to risk my son's life.

So, we went to BBSP and National park to start.  

First we rode the infamous River Road in Big Bend National Park today. This road threw everything at you.  Yesterday we had the first "big" rain of the season here.  2" in a little over 2 hours. Big rain for the desert.  The whole thing is beginning to bloom.

Any way back to the River Road.  Lots of washes, some wet, some muddy, and when I say muddy I mean bury the back of the bike muddy. The road was very rocky of course and freaking hot! 104 degrees.  Brad and I filled the camel backs three times from bottles snuck away in my Giant Loop.

The "kid" made me proud today.  He threw the 250 around like he had been doing it his entire life when in reality he has less than 4 months on a bike in total.  He had NO get off's today. He turned into a really good new rider with some learning to do about weight shifts but otherwise surprisingly good.

So, I am going to post up some pictures but I have a slow connection here so I will just post a few for now. I appologize for my pictures in advance as I do not possess the skills that Patrice has when composing a picture.  Mine are just ordinary but they are what they are.

Day one - en-route

The players

Big storm on the horizon.  Yes, the sky was pink (my son told me).

The hills and mountains are a little different than those in Arkansas

The storm finally caught us about 10 miles south of Alpine, Tx.  This truck was a border patrol vehicle and we pulled in behind him under some trees because now it was hailing 1/2" hail and raining like a bitch.  He looked us over closely as he left.

We elected to try and outrun the storm to Terlingua (our destination for the night).  We made it but only by an hour or so.

The storm was really bad. We were glad to be clear of it.

Our nights abode and our place for dinner.

Did I mention Brad nearly ate the entire food stock at the restaurant?  The kid ate non-stop for an hour.

Our waitress was friendly. She was not a "looker" but still I thought about it! My son told me that "if you don't have something nice to say about her, don't say anything".  Damn, that proved that he does listen to me...Huh?

After reading about Terlingua I expected more but the place is just spartan, dry, spread out, and third world.  The hostel there had five wall tents and a bus (their reading lounge) and a bar.  But I guess that's all you need when on a budget thank gawd my budget was bigger than that..

View from our room

Next stop - Big Bend

On the way to the campground

Getting the bikes ready for the River Road.  

The River Road, all you can imagine and more. As always no pictures of the technical parts which is a shame because they were something.

Abandoned Silver mine building on the River Road

Random shots

Rio Grand River

More to follow as time allows.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 11:40:41 PM by DRZ Charlie » Logged
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 05:03:14 PM »

Excellent Charlie! That is a cool XR your son is riding. The desert is pretty awesome,  I have yet to to the River Road and I am glad the storm did not wreck your ride on it. I love the wide-open spaces, big sky and solitude of the desert!
Cheers, Patrice

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
mcrider
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 06:32:01 PM »

Excellent Charlie! That is a cool XR your son is riding. The desert is pretty awesome,  I have yet to to the River Road and I am glad the storm did not wreck your ride on it. I love the wide-open spaces, big sky and solitude of the desert!
Cheers, Patrice

I can't believe you've never done the river road!  A couple of weeks ago three of us left Study Butte to ride South County Rd, Hen Egg Rd, North County Rd, Hwy 118 to TR road, Marathon Rd, Hwy 385, Dagger Flats, Old Ore, Rio Grant Village, River Road & back to Study; 205 miles & 104 degrees.  The next day two more showed up & we did it backwards.  Great fun!   ricky

Charlie, it always fun to ride with your kids.  Mine is 40 something now & we have been doing it from his 14th birthday.  ENJOY!   clap

Waiting  lurk

Chris Hardy
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 10:35:32 PM »

It would be great to figure out a mostly dirt/county road route from Austin to Big Bend, then I would certainly ride the KLR down and back.
I imagine it could be done in several days. But I sure like how I can load the truck up, and drive 12 hours safely at night... thus saving my vacation time for riding!  ricky ricky

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 03:35:53 AM »

DRZ Charlie, sorry it did not work out for you to go to Mexico, but you made the right call.  Looking forward to some more pics of your adventure, including BBRSP......bring it on!

Christian
 2014 V Strom 650, 00 XR650R, 03 Beta ALP 200, 02 Buell S3T, 84 900 Ninja, 48 Chief
HappyMan
Combat Wombat

Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 12:21:41 PM »

Awesome report DRZ Charlie and I'm glad you opted not to risk your son's life.  I'm thinking that was a pretty good choice!!  Nothing like the memories you create on dirt bikes with your kids.  Thanks for sharing!

Life is Short....Ride Long - Pavement is Optional
I'm a happy, happy, happy man

You're not just saying that because you're taped to a toilet are you?

"..argument juice from the argument lobe of the female brain..same technology is used in modern fighter planes.".

06 Suzuki DR650
medicjeff
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 02:08:49 PM »

Very nice Charlie... your son is a lucky dude to get to spend time riding motorbikes in a place like big bend with his dad. Every moto trip I take I always think how cool it would be to be riding with my father... alas he's not a motorbike guy.  Cheers...Jeff
Vstromcharlie
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 08:50:01 PM »

Well the trip is over. We ran out of $'s So we start the route home at around 1:00 pm +/- local time Ouray, Colorado today.  Thought I would post some more pictures from our trip.

A lot of these were taken by Brad while driving in the truck but I thought I would post up anyway.  Our trip took us from Eureka Springs, Arkansas to Dallas, Tx., then Terlingua, Tx., Big Bend, Gaudalupe Mountain National Park, Roswell, Carlsbad Caverns National Park, New Mexico, Roswell, New Mexico, then to Ouray, Colorado and now, home.

Roswell, NM

On the way Ouray, Co

[click to show pic]

The San Juan's

Outside of Ouray, Co. on Colorado Hiway 550

Snow melt coming down the Mountain from Engineers Pass

Ouray, Co.

Brad being "cool" in Ouray

Our assault on Yankee Boy Pass

Elevation in Ouray

It must have been 500-800' shear drop off where Brad is looking

[click to show pic]

[click to show pic]

Abandoned mine #1

A sign of delight!

Near where we had to turn around. We were only able to go another 350 feet up in elevation.

We also had a snowball fight at 10,000 feet

Abandoned mine #2 on the way up Yankee Boy

Black Canyon, Co.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 08:55:38 PM by DRZ Charlie » Logged
Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 09:58:29 PM »

Cool Charlie, that must have been about a 3000 mile loop! Some of the drop-offs from the edge of the road are look mighty steep.
I guess some of the high passes that are not on a major tourist route don't get cleared of snow. Cinnamon pass was cleared with snow plows for us in early June last year. It must have been nice to see such different parts of the country. Good going, thanks for the report!
Cheers, Patrice

www.RideDualSport.com
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 02:55:30 AM »

Charlie,

You really cherry-picked some fantastic spots during the running of this route! Good on you and Brad, and thanks for the pics and great tour. I really enjoyed it.

Stovey

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: