RideDualSport
Advanced search  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: XT350?  (Read 22493 times)
FUHL
Super Rat

Email
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2016, 06:54:06 PM »

I just bought an 96 XT 350.. i use it as an everyday vehicle for most of the time i get to ride it in idaho... On the freeway I'm getting upwards of 65 mph and my rpm is way to high for my liking. what kind of sprocket swap or anything else i can do to lower my rpm's at higher rates of speed... ??

What part of Idaho? I had a 1996 XT350, wondering if it is my old bike.

You could change the countershaft sprocket up one tooth.

2016 Beta Xtrainer 300, 2001 Yamaha TT-R125L, 2007 Can-Am Renegade 800. 2008 Dodge AWD Charger R/T. 2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost.
Eatmore Mudd
Road Toad

Mischief on Wheels

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2016, 03:13:52 AM »

Anymore Yamaha XT350 riders out there?  ~

Yup.
Green Devil
Road Toad

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2016, 09:21:06 PM »

I just bought an 96 XT 350.. i use it as an everyday vehicle for most of the time i get to ride it in idaho... On the freeway I'm getting upwards of 65 mph and my rpm is way to high for my liking. what kind of sprocket swap or anything else i can do to lower my rpm's at higher rates of speed... ??

I have the same issue with my XT225.  I thought about getting a larger rear sprocket.
Eatmore Mudd
Road Toad

Mischief on Wheels

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2016, 08:23:45 AM »

Here's XT 350#3 on it's way home.

But honey..."Kosmic made me do it "
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 08:48:53 AM by Eatmore Mudd » Logged
Eatmore Mudd
Road Toad

Mischief on Wheels

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2016, 06:07:35 AM »

Going top look at XT350 #4 this week end.

greaser
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2016, 09:34:18 PM »

I think you are soon to be the guy to see for XT parts.
Eatmore Mudd
Road Toad

Mischief on Wheels

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2016, 06:59:49 AM »

I am !

Whatcha got and how much you want ?  naughty

It all started when by buddy gave me a left over shifter. It was lonely and put out a homing signal to other lost parts. Before long there was complete bike, and a left over fork leg.

And the process repeats itself.
greaser
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2016, 09:53:25 PM »

I am !

Whatcha got and how much you want ?  naughty

It all started when by buddy gave me a left over shifter. It was lonely and put out a homing signal to other lost parts. Before long there was complete bike, and a left over fork leg.

And the process repeats itself.

LOL I dont have anything but I wouldn't mind taking a running XT off your hands. ;-)
Eatmore Mudd
Road Toad

Mischief on Wheels

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2016, 05:58:06 AM »

You can have first crack at them if the wife and kids get sick of them.
greaser
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2016, 10:38:55 PM »

You can have first crack at them if the wife and kids get sick of them.

Deal
dlittles
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2016, 04:22:03 PM »

New to this forum. Just got back into dual sport bikes. Bought a '79 Honda XL500 for $250  at the end of this summer and got the bug for another bike for my son.  Just picked up this '86 XT350 last week. Unmolested with only 2577 miles on it and it runs. Only needs carb boots and new tires.  I couldn't pass it up!!!
dlittles
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2016, 04:28:14 PM »

It even has the original tool bag.
pete
Super Rat

Email
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2016, 08:11:52 AM »

The XT & TT350 were very good bikes in there day but back
then eveyone was XR crazy so the XT/TT got some what over looked...

09 XT660R / 05 TTR250 / 1977 Montesa Cota 348 / 1979 Montesa 125 H6 Enduro....

.....New Zealand bike form....
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php
Voltar
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

"I am the liquor."

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2016, 10:41:17 AM »

The XT isn't a huge powerhouse type bike, so (my guess) is over gearing it could happen if you are not careful.

I get a new rear sprocket with one less tooth to reduce the RPMs some. 

There are several gear/speed calculators on the web you can play with.  Just be aware that just because the math says the bike will go 120MPH in 3rd gear at 1500 RPM does not mean the motor is capable of providing the power to make that happen.

Keep us posted on your results.

Jr. Asst. Road Captain

My projects and stuff:
www.whiskeytangohotel.com
Mattwings
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2017, 03:39:47 PM »

I had an XT 350 (bought new in 1994) when I lived in Oregon.  Loved the variety of terrain.  Coastal range mud, rocks and sand in the Cascades, wide open dessert in Central OR.  You guys are making me so nostalgic! The bike had lots of limitations (suspension was poor, limited tire choices because of clearance on the rear, weird YDIS carbs on my year) but stone cold relieble and super economical!  My new to me DR350 does seem a big improvement over most everything on the XT, hopefully it's as reliable!

Riding in and around the great state of Michigan!
DR_Jax_650
Combat Wombat

I'm Riding a Motorcycle to Alaska....Someday! ;)

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2017, 03:19:44 PM »

I have the same issue with my XT225.  I thought about getting a larger rear sprocket.

NOPE! adding teeth to the rear sprocket will only make it rev higher... You need to ad 1 tooth ( or 2 ) to the front sprocket .
I actually carry on my DR650 a 14 tooth  for riding on gravel and have a 16 tooth on there for traveling the pavement
it takes 10 minutes to swap the sprockets all it takes an 8mm socket  & a 10mm sockeket   a d loosen the rear axle bolt also....Then remember to adjust the chain again ...thumb

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 07:40:11 PM by DR_Jax_650 » Logged

If they made a movie about my life ...I wouldn't be handsome or talented enough to play my part...Sigh
polarkoala
Road Toad

Email
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2017, 02:36:22 AM »

I just got this 1992 XT350.  Takes a couple minutes of kicking to get going when she is cold, and kicks back like a son of a gun every now and then, but fires right up when warm.  I broke the kick shaft the last time I rode it, so she is in the shop right now.  I am hoping that doesn't happen frequently, it costs $250 to repair.

I have got something to prove, every time there is some thing that needs improving.  And every time I move, I make a woman's movement. Just decide what you've got to do, and then you go out and do it.
Eatmore Mudd
Road Toad

Mischief on Wheels

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2017, 04:32:25 AM »

Nice bike !

These thing came jetted LEAN from the factory. Good dealers corrected that for good running and for the altitude of the dealers area. What do your spark plugs look like ?

You might want to check the adjustments of the automatic de compressor cable. The cable ends and the housing do wear causing poor adjusment.

BTW the kick start shaft shouldn't be breaking. No doubt the previous owner(s) were not familiar with auto de compressor kick start only bikes. More than likely they anxiously kicked the kicker like a enraged monkey, slamming it against the stop.   

The technique we us is: transmission in neutral, three priming kicks to get things loosened up and the oil moving and the cylinder primed.
Key on, gas on, no choke in warm weather, choke in winter.

Mildly push the kicker down until the piston comes to stop against the compression of TDC and STOP. Then let the kicker up to top and push gently on it just a bit.
  What we have just done here is used the kicker along with the automatic de compressor to ease the piston just past TDC.
Next we let all the way up on the kicker then give a smooth rapid push to the kicker. The flywheels accelerate and build inertia which initiated the intake cycle and pushes the piston over the next TDC compression event where the plug fires and the engine starts.....if I haven't left the kill switch off.

Kicked like this the kicker never hits against the kicker stop and the kicker shaft will never shear.

I hope I'm not insulting you with all this.
Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: