RideDualSport
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: 2010 KTM 450XC-W Six Days build.... Farkle Frenzy in Progress, send help...  (Read 70882 times)
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« on: May 07, 2010, 11:06:54 PM »

....my name is Stovey, and I'm glad to be here............

"HI STOVEY!"

alright, I have taken liberty here, but the point remains..... I am a bike whore.

I brought my new bike home today after a 6-week wait, they have been a little scarce. (Had to wait for a handful of select insan-o Austrians to re-tool and make me a one-off, apparently.....) KTMS are notoriously under-imported, and if a hot bike comes along, fugggeddaboudit. I've had the same struggles with the 300EXC and XCW's.  There may be many 450 Six Days around or not - but THIS ONE, is mine....

The Farkle Frenzy began when I couldn't stand it any longer, and still with no absolute guarantee that the bike I ordered was actually going to arrive, I started ordering parts.

I'll start seeing them in a few days, and coincidentally, my bike is in the man-cave, only two hours old.

I'll post pics and parts list..... it's going to be sick. No one machine can do it all, and the world of bikes is partly about compromises. My life, my world and my bikes are no exception. We shall see how splitting all the differences after weighing all my options, pans out.

More later, my drool cup just fell off my chin and I need to do a bike-related computer hygiene.....

Seizure later!

Stovey

Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 12:20:35 AM »

Whoa Dude! This is going to be totally wicked! It is an honor to have your farkling chronicled on my humble forum!
As each box arrives with the precious farkle you must light some incense and candles, sit cross-legged in front of the box and meditate and bang a gong!
I have sent Master Po to your aide.
Prepare your mind and body for the zen moment that starts when the packing tape us sliced open and ends when you wipe the last finger prints off the part. I drool too! 
lurk lurk

Master Po: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
    Young Caine: I hear the water, I hear the birds.
    Po: Do you hear your own heartbeat?
    Caine: No.
    Po: Do you hear the grasshopper which is at your feet?
    Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
    Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 03:45:06 PM »

Teaser...

What the Austrian catalog people post -

It will not look like this for much longer:

Master Po: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
    Young Caine: I hear the water, I hear the birds.
    Po: Do you hear your own heartbeat?
    Caine: No.
    Po: Do you hear the grasshopper which is at your feet?
    Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
    Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?

(Patrice - I love this quote........  +++++   You hit the nail on top of my head; I'll have to put you in my Will for this. When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be.)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 03:50:18 PM by Stovebolt » Logged

Coolhand
Combat Wombat

Living large, one weekend at a time ;)

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 01:58:10 AM »

'aight, you've had 12 hours. Let's see some pics of it in the Man Cave at the least!   lurk

Relocated to the boonies. Working on an Adventure Bike destination plan.
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 03:07:17 AM »

Coolhand,

(Can you really eat 50 eggs in an hour?....)

Can you believe I haven't even taken the camera down into the man-cave yet? Astounding, even for me..... I must still be stunned beef. And you have to realize, that this is the first weekend I have taken OFF in almost 4 months. Couple that, with this - my wife got on a plane for New Mexico on Thursday - leaving me entirely unsupervised. The bike arrived at the dealer the same day. My GPS cradle independent review was posted on GPSTRACKLOG.com that same day. It was time to settle down and think about settling down - I was starting to quiver....

Friday, as a temporary bachelor (I should mention I got some bond-o time with my two beloved dogs and it was shaping up nicely with that, I love my dogs...) I went and picked up the bike. My friend at the dealer kicked me a butt-load of swag on the way out the door.... I found a  coupon for $2 off any pizza at my favorite joint in Idaho Falls on the way home. I was beginning to vibrate. When I stopped for beer, because I haven't bought any in months, I actually found one of my long-lost and never-in-stock favorites on the shelf. Holy Crap! At the Post Office on the last leg of the way home, was a check for a cradle in my mail, and the license plate from the new owner of my 640A who sent me the one I had left on that bike when I shipped it to him in New York. Great kid - thanks Daniel! (I had a "senior moment" and just left it on the bike and said bye-bye - apparently I hadn't noticed it through all the mist in my eyes at it sailed away in the back of a truck weeks ago.)

With all these good things happening, I was content to do some chores, handle some work project, do some writing and simply ogle the new beast in the man-cave. All I actually got done was to reroute the front brake cable/odo cable because that didn't get handled (won't really matter because the headlight is getting sailed down the highway anyway.) And I installed the rear brake caliper quick-change brake pad pin. I had the tank and seat off to get a look at all the wiring I am about to dig into, and managed to heat cycle the engine 6 times over two days. That's it. Not even one pic. I will, however, do a build history here, and post up; man-proper.

I'll probably start in a later post with the parts list and some preamble about the project. With the budgeting of money and time, I hope to have it done by the time of the Montana 1000 ADVRider Rally in late July. But parts are inbound as I type, eta of my "$Thousand-Dollar tee shirt" from Woody's Wheels is tomorrow.  And that's just for the tee-shirt and one wheel. My wife had better never see this thread. You got me by the short ones here fellas..... I'm at your mercy.

A short list for this week, in shipping and receiving is:

Woody's Wheels - complete rear wheel with billet cush-drive, 18-inch Takasago (they don't make A60's in 18-inch, damnation) I had him spoon on a new D606 with a 4mm Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tube, two rimlocks. Comes complete with carrier, spacers, bearings. It's a Superlace. Thanks Woody!

Highway Dirtbikes - eta Tuesday. Big headstart on cockpit management with ultra/upgraded handguards, plastics with LED turn signal inserts, top clamp with LED dash. Hand guards have swivel mirrors built-in. If I don't like the way they work, I'll get the ones NEDURO makes to use in conjunction with RAM mounts. (Now where would I find any extra RAM mounts around here.... hmmmm.)

Acerbis plastic set, complete. The whole stock plastic goes into a plastic bag, never to be seen again until resale. That's how I roll. I got a very fortunate industry hookup, and I owe a guy for it. He knows who he is. 3.4gallon Acerbis tank goes in the mix as well. (A 6-gallon Baja tank will be for later, when I come up for air. I'll have it in time for Baja next year.)

Header wrap.  

More later.  It's going to be a busy week, getting reaquainted with my wife (as long as I can beat her to the end of the driveway and she doesn't discover my $1k tee-shirt.) More work in the bike shop over in J-hole for Backroadsmoto. I have more CONCEALEX coming to make a run of cradles which I'm getting low on. Somewhere in there, I've got to fit in swapping out some parts, and doing some "before" pics. My eyes will truly be glazing over sitting there watching American Idol with Dorothy....

Wish me luck!

As Ever,

Stovey
Lucky Boy
Grateful Man

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 03:12:57 AM by Stovebolt » Logged

Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 03:35:55 AM »

Wow, Stovey.... that was a great read, and a wrench has yet to be picked up!
This is a cool concept:
"The whole stock plastic goes into a plastic bag, never to be seen again until resale. That's how I roll."
Cheers, Patrice.

www.RideDualSport.com
13 Super Ténéré - 01 Buell S3 - 03 DRZ 400 - 1948 Indian Chief - 1924 Indian Chief - 1953 Indian Chief - BMW R100/7
Coolhand
Combat Wombat

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 01:51:59 PM »

Sometimes nothin' is a mighty cool hand....  but in this case still nothin' on the photo-matics!  lol

I do enjoy the commentary though and yes, better not let the wife find the $1,000 T-Shirt.  eek

I can only dream about this bike, sounds like it will be a beast! 

lurk

Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 02:52:50 AM »

Kwai Chang Kane commits to Farkle-Foo....  the folly continues, with pics.

Well, in between concerns of a more emergent nature, doing things that relate to paying the bills and putting food on the table, I managed to make time to acquiesce, and answer the siren song emanating from the depths of the poorly lit man-cave. Aaahhh, but she is a vixen when she sings her song of madness...... she beckoned, and I crawled forth, to her feet at the cave.

Inside was a true wonderment, a sight to behold for my tired eyes - weary from days of making soft luggage rack parts for my friend at Backroadsmoto in Jackson, answering my phone and e-mails and PM's, taking care of my dogs and keeping a fire stoked in the woodstove of The Timberwish; the wooden shack on the side of a hill in the Tetons that we have called home for 10 years now. The beauty of our sunny day; 60 degrees and gorgeous took a hardened foe to make its' equal, but was both outmatched and enhanced by the presence of my new steed, the glorious new-to-my stable 450 Six Days. I began in earnest, by unrolling the bike out into the sunshine for a photo session, a la 'off-the-showroom-floor' just for the record.

A few pics follow, and are by no means comprehensive nor show the complete parts lineup, but it was a starter, and got me to the point of no return - she would never look like this again. Hopefully, she'll only get better and better with time....

The "Big List" is as follows, but only a few things are pictured - not everything is here yet, or even ordered yet. And some of the stuff is still coming, just pics of the bike, and a couple pending farkles for the fu in my dojo.... Can you hear it - the siren song of Kwai Chang Stovey? Ouis, Sensei - pray I am worthy to follow the Master down this path. Enlightenment favors the bold and youthful - but all men have their purpose, and commitment to a challenge has its own rewards..... follow along, if you dare Grasshopper.
[/b][/color]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 03:03:31 PM by Stovebolt » Logged

Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 03:04:19 AM »

On the list for today, would be :

* Cockpit Genesis - Highway Dirtbikes handguards, shields, front turn signals, mirrors, top clamp
* Header wrap

The HDB setup entails tapping the handlebars for mounting - Paul sends a bigass tap along with his premium equipment to get the job done, and this setup means business.  Wiring comes later, with power to the dashboard and LED's to go along with the instrumentation, power supplies, GPS and all that stuff. For now, the 'rough-in' is in the works.

Then, a high-temp header wrap - a not-so-glorious job, but it allows for some bike bonding with the new caretaker - me.

More to follow, the "other vixen" is calling, and I must obey her. Time for dinner, and maybe a movie.

TTFN...

Rally on,

Stovey

DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 03:34:59 AM »

"Master Po, gazing upon such a master piece gives me a strange sensation and large wood, what shall I do?"

The Tao of Kung Fu #14 - " Cowardice is wisdom of weakness."

Christian
 2014 V Strom 650, 00 XR650R, 03 Beta ALP 200, 02 Buell S3T, 84 900 Ninja, 48 Chief
swinerider
Road Toad

Swine Rider

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 02:22:54 PM »

Hey Cuz!  Well big Jimbo finally got a dual sport bike, so maybe now we can do some riding! Found some awesome dirt roads/trails in Western VA that go on forever, mucxh exploring to do there!!!! CYA!

97 DR 650 (DR. DIRTY), 82 Yamaha Seca 650, 83 Can-Am 250MX.
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen -

We interrupt this thread to introduce my cousin John, "Swinerider" to the RDS forums.

"Hi SWINERIDER!"

Now, back to this thread........

John - Baja is calling, can you hear it? Do you hear what I hear.......

Stovey

Hey Cuz!  Well big Jimbo finally got a dual sport bike, so maybe now we can do some riding! Found some awesome dirt roads/trails in Western VA that go on forever, mucxh exploring to do there!!!! CYA!

Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 04:48:43 PM »

The "Big List" and project preamble...

Well, how many posts does it take to get to the "preamble?" We will take a poll later as to whether Stovey could have made a good lawyer or not. (Probably could play one on TV right now.)

I had two bikes, loved them both. One was perfect, the 300 EXC. I'd own another. An acquaintance just bought a 2009 new hold-over last week from the same shop I got my 450 from, and it's sitting up in our shop getting farkled. (It's an XC-W) They are still the best off-road weapons on the planet in my opinion. I may steal his, and live life on the lamb, I dunno.....

The 640A was awesome - a little tall and a little heavy. Together though, a little of each made the bike what it was for me to manage, sometimes a bit tough. I gave it the old college try. I just decided to convert two bikes into one, and I know what rides I've done, and have a whole zoo full of rides in my head just waiting to be fed and cared for. Where I live and travel on a daily and weekly basis is just an incredible place. I get to roam around the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. Right now, every day. When I actually put my mind to navigating different challenges, it gets a whole lot more interesting from there. So my bike choice has evolved from this nexus of constantly trying to keep "my animals" at bay in the zoo of rides floating around in my head..... I just know what I can do on a bike by now, and where I'd like to go, and how I'd like to do it. It's pretty easy to settle on a bike when you know what you want to do with it. Even though some people would approach it differently - you hope they would! Everybody has a different slant on things. That's great.

So, the bike needed to be a KTM, because I bleed Orange and if a transfusion was ever called for, I could be Johnny On the Spot. 4S was going to have to be the powerplant - I was only going to have one bike, not two - for a while. It really comes down to the 450 vs. 530 - the 400 doesn't have the legs I need. Fortunately, I've had a chance to ride the KTM450 in Moab a few years ago, and in the mountains. I also had a chance to ride the 530 in Baja. Since I've been lucky enough to ride different Honda XR650's up here in the mountains and also down in Baja and on a long-ish DS ride last October, I had the benefit of some seat time with a few different pertinent machines.

http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=180528

450 vs 530

Simple, for me. The 530 has greater legs for dualsporting than the 450. The 450 is more nimble in terms of handling because of the muscle mass of that big crank and piston thumping around in there, and the torquey powerpulse to the rider through the handlebars adds up to a tougher day in general, especially in single track conditions - and I've broken both shoulders in college (3-meter diving debacles) and dislocated my left shoulder three separate times. It rattles around in its' socket like a golf ball inside a 35-gallon drum. I can gear whatever bike I get however I want to and change it anytime I want to..... It's a 450 machine for Stovey. I am, after all, a dirt bike rider.

Six Days?

Whether a 450 or a 530, it's either an EXC or a XC-W. EXC comes 50-State street legal and has some emissions crap - but the machines are basically the same as the XC-W, which has a more dirt-worthy setup (closed course competition-only caveat.) The EXC would need desmogging and connisterectomy, turn-signal lights and mirror replacement, this and that. The XC-W would be a bike to add things on to, not take things off of. I would put on exactly what I want, not waste crap like lights, mirrors. And of course, I want to get the new frame that isn't available on the EXC, only the SX and XC-W for 2010. The new frame has appeal to me, as it alters the geometry and it may be in my favor for the performance difference. And there I am. Also, for 2010, the XC-W's are only available as Six Days editions. They come with a couple bonus farkles like the cooling fan on radiator, decent sprocket that I swear by and just starts off a little lighter weight. Yep, I'm adding some weight, but you get the idea. So it's a 450. It's an XC-W, making it a Six Days by default. And, I can have any color I want, as long as it's orange. The gamble - street legalization. Would my stars be crossed, or aligned? I did my research, and although I had no guarantee, as things are evolving with every State's DMV's - I decided to roll the dice. Done deal, now try to find one.

Long story short - it finally showed up. I'm glad. It's here - I'm happy.

The Big List, in no particular order or explanations just yet - just a list:

Wheels
Woodys Wheels - cush drive billet rear hub, Superlace.
Front wheel when I come up for air, to make the matching set and have a Baja Bombproof set of rollers. A60 front, billet hub and Superlace.
So, this also means that to have a practical spare set of wheels as a result, that it means buying rear sprocket and brake discs for both front and rear. And rubber. I'd look stupid riding on those new Superlaced rims with no tires. Of course, I look stupid sometimes anyway, so maybe it would be a good thing to do to use as an excuse, I dunno......

Lighting/electrical -
Trail Tech high-output stator, 100w.
Trail Tech X3 HID headlight
Highway Dirtbikes F/R LED turnsignals
(the whole electrical system will get an overhaul/upgrade with this setup to include the LED flasher relay, F/R brake stop light switching, handlebar combi switch from Husaberg, horn, LED dash and switching from Highway Dirtbikes and Trail Tech, GPS hardwire power, AUX power jacks for charging LiIon helmet light batts, etc.)
Heated Handgrips

Steering stabilizer. I will settle on whichever one goes into that underbar situation with least amount of bar height increase. Will not do top mount system. So a GPR v4 or a Scotts. Both still candidates, but leaning towards the .......  (aaaack - a cliffhanger!)

Fuel
It's an unfortunate situation where a man must buy a bike, AND two more fuel tanks, but this is the reality for what I like, and what I need to get the jobs done. Stock tank is 2.4 - great lightweight dirt riding, single tracker. Not so good for even tame dual-sporting. So I'll likely spend most of my time riding with the 3.4 gallon tank. One is on its way. Long rides? Baja? Fuggedaboudit..... Must have 6+ gallon tank. So I'll come up with one of those for this bike, use it relatively little as far as daily - but when you need the range, you gotta have it.

Different tanks don't allow for use of rad guards, and the cooling fan interferes with some guards and not others. So you gotta pick some that work, and deal with it if you want 'em. There are two I am looking at yet, and all will be good.

HTRacing oil cooler. The big issue with the oil capacity (.6L) is that you need to change it often, and keep after it. I can do this. The other thing is that the 100w high-output stator creates a lot of heat in that oil bath, and you are further taxing the system with it - you've got less oil than most bikes on the engine side of this machine (transmission is compartmentalized and has good capacity.) Less oil to begin with and a high-output stator might add up to an HTRacing oil cooler. With that add-on, you have to be careful which fuel tank you want to try and put on it, as the oil cooler sometimes gets in an arguement with some tanks. We shall see what goes. I have a system for relatively pain free mid-ride oil changes.

With the cooling fan, may not go with coolant recovery tank.... we shall see. Might bolt one up for Baja as a precaution.

Don't care for the plastic skid plate - I like the aluminum. For now, it stays. Until it doesn't.

Like I posted earlier, the stock plastic gets yarded off from the get-go - not because there's anything wrong with it. It's nice to not have anything go wrong with it and you either decide to save it, or ride on it.

Things like rear brake disk sharkfin, engine case guard for the clutch slave cylinder, fork tube guards (make my own out of Concealex) and fork seal savers, can get thrown into or out of the mix when and as it can. Some things you need, others are just nice to have.

I hope there's a place to mount "Beaky" the Buzzard. He's gonna be pissed if he never gets at least one ride on the bike....

I'll leave off with links to Woody's rear wheel and Highway Dirtbikes handguard system.

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/

http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/

And I must give mention to my friend, Berg Briggs of Backroadsmoto.com, for assisting me with some of this electrical system upgrade. He has been an invaluable resource to me over the years on lots of little projects (to him) but they meant the world to me. And having him on my side with his technical background and expertise, with all kinds of machines and problems - not just KTM knowledge he has a deep well of - has been a tremendous asset. Thank You Berg Briggs!

Everybody have a great weekend!

Stovey
<Out>

« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 05:17:32 PM by Stovebolt » Logged

Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 11:00:22 PM »

Slow going in the Farkle-Fu Dojo   Slow going in the Farkle-Fu Dojo    Slow going in the Farkle-Fu Dojo  

.... but still, a little progress is better than none at all. I needed to make up some cradles, fit and finish on a few needing to be done. So I did a little on that yesterday, and some finish work again today. Then I spent just a little bit tidying up the few small things I tried to accomplish over the weekend. No time to ride either!

I got the header pipe wrapped and the HDB handguards with the front turn signals and mirrors installed. I had to do a computer relocation to clear the top clamp on the HDB setup, which is fine and also temporary until the "big guns" hit the triple clamps - the Trail Tech Extreme 3 HID lighting system. There will be changes and mods that go along with that and the stator, but that's still down the road. I'll start riding the bike without that all going on at first, just because of time and money.

Notice the folding mirrors that Paul Degarate developed for his handguard system - I think they're pretty cool. Yes, they are what they say they are, a "Highway Dirtbike" setup, and not meant to be like what you find on your cruisers and even DS bikes proper in some cases. But they are a damn sight better than the "Make do" mirrors that you see kicking around on lots of DS rigs and dirt bikes with really poor makeshift adjustments that never seem to hold, or even smaller mirrors. These are more than adequate for DS'ing, and will give a decent view - but for real road traffic you'd probably want a bigger picture - no question. I really like them though, and can't wait to actually road test them. Bomber build too, and every component.

I also made up a CONCEALEX license plate holder to do two things - 1) take the sharp edges off the license plate and 2) add some beef to it for when I loop out and crash. It's pretty sano for a kid from New York with a Busted Compass and living in Idaho. (Been gone from New York for decades..... just had to throw that in.)

Will finish a few things during the week when and as I can. Fab up my rear brake cable/guillotine to the skid plate. Hopefully have some opportunity to dig into my wiring some evening. I did install the horn onto the top triple clamp (fab'd my own bracket) behind the headlight mask. I'm so horny now..... just need to hook it up along with the brake stop lights, turn signals and combi switch to make it all roll real legal like. A coupole pics, I hope everybody got some riding in this weekend!

Stovey
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 11:04:27 PM by Stovebolt » Logged

Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 03:23:40 AM »

No pics - sorry, long days and little bits on the bike as time is allowing. Parts still coming to complete street-legal wiring. All the original plastic is off and wrapped up, stowed for the next owner. I will trash the stuff I put on there tonight. Hopefully a little more this week after work, before I take "Mrs. Stovebolt" on a weekend getaway up to our cabin to check on the place and catch up on a little "us time." And do battle with emerging Grizzlies, wolverines, badgers and mountain lions..... (We had a pack of wolves on us for 3 days last Fall - it was a trip!) Not to mention the squirrel that lives there when we're gone. So maybe I'll get a chance to get a little more done this week and post up some pics before taking off. It looks all different already.

Glad that the Happyman got squared away and rescued from the road by his better half, and I'm hearing his Tiger will soon be on the mend. All will be well in RDS-land!

All the best,

Stovey
**********************************************************************************
(Light reading from KTM in the interim....)

From the KTM website, regarding the Six Days - with respect to their Sales people....

"The 450 & 530 XC-W Six Days Edition commemorates KTMs dominance in the International Six Days Events

• Limited Edition Portugal Six Days Graphics
• Headlight and Tail Light
• Quick Release Plastic Skid Plate
• Fork Bleeder Valves
• Seat Including Race Logo and Card Holder
• Machined Triple Clamps
• Handlebar Protector (Bar Pad)
• Rear Brake Retaining Pin
• Front Axle Puller
• Radiator Cooling Fan
• Stealth Rear Sprocket - Orange
• Black Fuel Tank
• Hand Guards

» New Frame Design
• Same improvements as the 450 SX-F
• Frame is welded to the steering head 10mm lower than 2009
• Rotates the frame and engine forward slightly lowering the tank and
seating position
• Improves the weight balance, provides less deflection on the front
end, better control of front wheel, lighter feeling
• New lower handlebar works in conjunction with the new frame

» New Brembo Front Brake Caliper
• 2009 SX floating 2-piston caliper with new brake master cylinder
• New TOYO B153 brake pads
• Improved brake performance, less lever force, more progressive feel

» Modified Air Box With New Design TwinAir Filter
• Improved air filter protection
• New shape in the front to reduce dirt or water collection and a slight
wall in the back to avoid water coming into the filter
• New TwinAir Filter designed for the new airbox

» New Suspension Valving
• PDS with new needle design
• Similar needle as SX/XC from 2009 – provides damping slightly earlier
for more progressive feel through the stroke

» New DID 520 VT2 T-Ring Chain instead of Regina
• D.I.D.'s 520VT chain is the latest technological breakthrough in sealed
chain design.
• This narrow T-Ring chain is designed for Enduro racing motorcycles
that can not accommodate a wider X-Ring chain due to clearance
limitations.
• Improved durability, less friction
• 8440 Lbs. Tensile Strength

» New Lighter EXCEL Rims
• 100 g lighter for less unsprung weight

» New Renthal Hand Grips
• Dual compound, tapered design

» Engine Reinforcements and Improvements
• Reinforced gear box (1,2,5,6 idler gears) for improved durability
• Reworked chain adjuster & clamping rail for better tension on timing
chain, noise reduction"
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 01:23:14 AM by Stovebolt » Logged

Ironman
Dirt Squirt

WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 03:57:36 PM »

Great Bike Stovey. I've been looking at those Highway Dirtbikes handguard/mirror for a while now, how do you like them? It's been my experience that once the frenzy starts there no stopping it , good luck. Ironman

Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 01:40:27 AM »

Ironman,

Yeah, thanks - I think it will be a neat bike. Stovey's Rally Raider....

My last things for the street-legal wiring should arrive next week - hopefully in time for me to get out Memorial Day a little. I have to stick close to home, so no annual DS ride for 3 days this time for me. But I'd be tickled to just be able to get out for the maiden voyage on it, and run away from some grizzlies in the bushes. I've got a combi switch coming from Husaberg and the rear turn signals that Paul Degarate makes at Highway Dirtbikes should be here early in the week. If they made a better handguard system on this planet, I'd own it. They don't - I've looked. I absolutely LOVE his equipment. You won't be disappointed if you opened a box with his stuff inside. (I don't work for Highway Dirtbikes - I've never met the owner. But I saw his gear for the first time last year, and I vowed to revisit that system if and when I got a new bike, and end my pain with cockpit management altogether, and combine that system with THE most bombproof handguards available.) I've bent Twinwall handlebars before - I sometimes "fall down." I want BOMBER stuff. I love the handguards - he makes them in two different "grades" - and either would easily top the best "uni-bar" systems I've ever seen, such as the Fastways, Woodsblasters, etc.. I got the Ultra Heavy Duty upgrade, and they are superb. It translates into a weight option for the customer I suppose. I'll take mine "extra-strong" please!

I got the Woody's Wheelworks rear wheel assembled with the brake disk and Stealth (Supersprox) together with the cush drive hub. It's ready to mount. Fab'd my rear brake pedal guillotine. Plastic is swapped out. Next week, pics and wiring. Then look out! Phase one winding down, and when I come up for air, I'll tackle "Phase 2!"

Everybody have a great weekend!

Stovey
Never Give Up

Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 12:02:17 PM »

Stovey, wow! Your taking an already incredibly refined and sophisticated bike to a whole new level. The specifications on the Six Day are impressive, they even beefed up the tranny gears. I am impressed how the factory pays attention to so many details.
The handguard system rocks... it nice to see how a true enthusiast goes the extra mile to make a superb product.
Thanks Man!

www.RideDualSport.com
Coolhand
Combat Wombat

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 02:50:23 AM »

Stovey,

This is a masterpiece man, I sure appreciate the detailed write up. I chased two orange bikes today on my DR and she did well, mind you, darned well for what I've got in her, but I was drooling a bit. Sounds like you're on the West side of the Tetons? My family is all in Wyoming, and a very snowy spring they're having this year. I'd love to hear the wolf story some day...

Justin

Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 01:48:16 AM »

Hiya!

Back online after a few days hiatus..........    no wolves at the cabin, but the bears have awakened. On a smiley note, I spent the entire day yesterday with my wife, and while the snow storm gathered steam and the flakes ebbed and flew outside, the fire crackled warmly in the woodstove while the entire folly of Boorman and McGregor unfolded from start to finish during the LONG WAY DOWN.  She had never seen it, and I enjoyed watching it with her. We were entertained and it was an altogether good and relaxing weekend!

Returning home this afternoon allowed for only a short time to fiddle before settling in with chores and making ready for a work week. I swapped wheels to measure chain length with the gearing I've mounted for the rear cush hub from Woody's. Need to cut one link out of the new Z-ring chain, and I'll have all the adjustment I want and need to go from stock 13/52 on the final drive to the 14/50 on the next step. I will of course be able to swap countershaft sprockets easily enough, with leeway to play with 13, 14 and 15-tooth setups up front. I took a couple of quick pics and called it.

Notice the radiator cooling fan thermostat switch leads in the first pic (above the orange header wrap.) This is the way it came from the dealer - incorrect. I fixed it, second pic. (Everything will be heat protected with thermal tubing and reflective guards, so this view will soon be covered with that.) But at least you can see that I switched the leads to keep the wiring away from the header pipe. Amazing.....

A pic of my rear brake pedal guillotine.

Remount of factory KTM computer.

More later...... hope everybody had a great weekend with some good riding! Being a Texas-based forum, youz guys woulda been bummed with the snowfall we had, but the weather here in the Tetons is sure turning a corner and it's definitely riding season! Can't wait to get out and check this Six Days machine out. I wonder if Skibum would let me ride with him, at least until he hits the shores of Tripoli, or in the current case, lands in South America for the next Dakar! Go Skibum, go......

Rally on,

Stovey
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 02:03:45 AM by Stovebolt » Logged

Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 01:56:45 AM »

Patrice and Justin,

Thanks for the goodness brothers!  I am enjoying my build, and I'm a lucky man to be doing it. It's part of chasing a dream I have, and I am blessed to have the dream, to be able to forge ahead and follow it, and share with others what joy I am getting from it as well.

Yes, I'm on the West Slope of the Tetons, on the Idaho side. My home is 3/4 mile as the crow flies from the Jedediah Smith Wliderness Area, which borders Grand Teton National Park. You can see the summit of the Grand Teton when you turn off the highway, and head into our place on the county road. We have had snowy Spring. Where in WY is your family? I live about 35 miles away from Jackson, WY.

I should maybe post a quick wolf story in the "Storytime around Stovey's Campfire" thread? It's a little underwhelming, one of those "you had to be there" situations - but it's true, and it was eerie!

Take care fellas - don't forget that sunblock down there!

As ever Stovey

Stovey, wow! Your taking an already incredibly refined and sophisticated bike to a whole new level. The specifications on the Six Day are impressive, they even beefed up the tranny gears. I am impressed how the factory pays attention to so many details.
The handguard system rocks... it nice to see how a true enthusiast goes the extra mile to make a superb product.
Thanks Man!

Stovey,

This is a masterpiece man, I sure appreciate the detailed write up. I chased two orange bikes today on my DR and she did well, mind you, darned well for what I've got in her, but I was drooling a bit. Sounds like you're on the West side of the Tetons? My family is all in Wyoming, and a very snowy spring they're having this year. I'd love to hear the wolf story some day...

Justin

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 04:28:26 AM by Stovebolt » Logged

uneasy rider
Ace

RIDE THE ROAD LESS GRAVELED

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 02:11:30 AM »

Lokks like it's gonna be a serious love machine when completed thumb, Jay Leno couldnt build it any better, man I love this stuff.

Pavement Huh?  We dont need no steenking pavement !

http://drriders.com
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 05:41:20 AM »

Thanks Uneasy,

....and I'd let you or Jay ride it. Rubbing some farkle love on the wiring in the dojo, and waiting on the handlebar combi switch. T-minus Husaberg, and counting......

Stovey Fu

Kosmic
Administrator
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 11:36:25 AM »

Wow, Stovey that new bodywork is wicked. Your building the Bimota of KTMs! Sweet!

www.RideDualSport.com
HappyMan
Combat Wombat

Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid.

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 08:02:29 PM »

One of the best threads I've seen in a long time.  I love watching other people spend money.......

Life is Short....Ride Long - Pavement is Optional
I'm a happy, happy, happy man

You're not just saying that because you're taped to a toilet are you?

"..argument juice from the argument lobe of the female brain..same technology is used in modern fighter planes.".

06 Suzuki DR650
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2010, 01:36:23 AM »

Countdown to Armageddon..... Farkle Fu in its finest hours.

(Thank You Happyman! You've made me a Happy Man for saying such nice things....)

Well, I managed some tinker-time and Berg Briggs gave me some wiring assistance. He also yarded the seat and tank off of his 530EXC and stripped the abandoned sub-harnesses out of that bike as a donor machine to give to me. What a guy! (He wasn't using the circuits - he'd long since sliced the turn-signals, horn, great big fat giant globular combination handlebar switch and other unnecessaries off his machine.) So I benefited from both his knowledge and expertise, and his bike parts.

I installed the rear LED turn signals made by Paul at Highway Dirtbikes. Damned fine units, let me tell you. I needed to Dreml a relief on both sides of the rear plastic to accommodate locknuts. Then do some wire routing. Then leave her hang while I commenced to work forward to more scary territory. We plumbed on the sub-harnesses front and rear. I removed the stock headlight and kill switches. Wired in a ground wire to bring up front. Wired in a power from BATT to bring up front for horn and common taps like GPS, etc. Then wired up combi switch which required building a new 6-wire block to mate with Husaberg combi switch. Wiggled and jiggled and tested and farkled and bled rear brake. Husaberg switch is awesome, but didn't come complete with "lower half" which houses the actual turn signal switch. Damn. Ordered that up and buttoned up the bike. Hung it off the back of the Mighty Dodge and drove it home. Phones have been ringing and people are gathering steam for some kind of Memorial Day Weekend riding. I might make one day, but it's Shakedown Weekend. Time to kick the tires and light the fires. More to come.

I hope everybody has a great holiday weekend. I did something nice for a USAF pilot operating in the sandbox today, and it made me feel good. Thank a vet, current or past service. Keep your heads on a swivel, use them mirrors and come home at the end of the day, safe and sound!

As ever,

Stovey

« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 04:24:46 AM by Stovebolt » Logged

Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010, 01:44:28 AM »

Casper the Friendly Punkin in the BACKROADSMOTO DOJO

More pics. Installed the LED flasher unit near the voltage regulator. Will hit that connection when the Part 2 Husaberg combi swithc component comes in. For now, she's actually street legal.

Laterz,

Stovey

HappyMan
Combat Wombat

Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid.

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 01:47:43 AM »

That orange sure costs a lot GREEN......

Life is Short....Ride Long - Pavement is Optional
I'm a happy, happy, happy man

You're not just saying that because you're taped to a toilet are you?

"..argument juice from the argument lobe of the female brain..same technology is used in modern fighter planes.".

06 Suzuki DR650
Stovebolt
Combat Wombat

WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2010, 03:59:45 AM »

Costs some "Green" yes, but I'm a gigolo in addition to being a bike whore - so I've got that going for me...   heh heh heh.

I'm all out of picture posting privileges - can't post any more - keep getting error messages back. I'll try again tomorrow.

Take care all,

Stovey

DoctorXRR
Global Moderator
Combat Wombat

I "heart" BBRSP!

WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2010, 07:52:02 AM »

Stovey, awesome job your doing on the bike, looking at it makes me go Schwing!!  You found your Mojo on this one!
Cant wait till you get it dirty.  ricky

Christian
 2014 V Strom 650, 00 XR650R, 03 Beta ALP 200, 02 Buell S3T, 84 900 Ninja, 48 Chief
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: